JCW Comparing Generations

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 07:12 PM
galahad
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Comparing Generations

So, I had one of the early JCW cars in a 2004 MCS. Now I have a a 2017 JCW Clubman and I'm comparing the driving experience and reflecting on the cars. I also had an R56 for about a year, it wasn't a JCW but I think it's worth some thoughts on the generation between.....Here are some observations:

- The ride has improved immensely. No matter the settings with Dynamic Dampers time has vastly improved the cars. The R56 had a standard suspension that I actually think was the worst, as it tried to be softer but really wasn't and just managed to be less sporty than any of the other cars.

- Gearing. I like the gearing on both of the old cars more than the newest car. Reaching nearly 75 MPH in 2nd gear in the gen1 JCW was really great. The R56 had tall gears too though not as tall, and the F54 (and I presume the F56) have shorter gears. 1st is done early and 2nd finishes up around 50 it seems. I don't know if others feel the same but I loved the tall gearing. I wish all the cars had taller 6th gears, and that hasn't been fixed in the newest cars either.

- Tech, not even worth mentioning for the most part. New cars have better tech. Except I think the HK system in my R53 had some neat tricks that the newer cards don't. I don't know that the sound is better one versus another but the Driver and other EQ settings were great and I don't know why they weren't continued. I was quite disappointed with the HK in the R56, thought it was mediocre. F cars have a tight sound, which I like and is more accurate.

- Handling, well I haven't pushed the new car much yet. But it feels more capable all around. Of course its a different animal in so many ways.

- Fit, Finish and Quality. Hands down F cars are a whole new level. They feel like what they are, which is BMW built cars. The R cars were what BMW was handed or products of strange partnerships (engines from PSA and Chrysler). This car is BMW down to its DNA.

We can't go back in time, if we could I'd buy a 2006 R53 JCW car and hide it away, The supercharged cars were the last of an era. Did they have problems, yeah they did, I fixed my share on my example. But I'd love to have that feel available for some fun. At the same time, I love the new car.

Maybe its just that nothing beats nostalgia. Wonder if any of you are on a new generation of JCW and what you think?

Old 03-20-2017, 01:58 PM
CharlesB.
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very useful thoughts for me! In my case had a R50, R56 and now a R55.. and pending to order a F54 JCW.
RX Minis for me were passion and sport feelings
F I think is a more balance car for a wider public target and if you want a more "radical" car just need to invest in some mods ( suspension, IC, DP, Repro) to obtain a super sport Mini with around 300cv, four wheel drive and a super quality interior