JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW light weight:Brake kits& more JCW coupe.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 05:09 PM
tommyb13662
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
light weight:Brake kits& more JCW coupe.

So here is my question. After reviewing/reading all I can online the goal for this platform is lightweight cornering ability. without significant work the stock engines cant really hold more than 250-275WHP at best. So now it comes down to lessen the ammount it has to get back up to speed after a corner and cornering speed more than raw grunt to shove the car back to the lead. Have read a ton on wheel tire, body, interior, exterior weight savings however I do not see much on the brakes. Even drilled/slotted kits (weight saving tactics only not to improve bake performance) seem to be nearly the same as stock not dropping un-sprung weight at all. I hereby vote for a sticky here detailing the top mods per category

1. Body
2. Suspension
3. Wheels tires
4. Interior
5. Aero
6. any other significant weight savings that does not compromise performance

would be VERY interested in others thoughts for these areas!

Old 06-15-2017, 09:06 PM
HZBJCW
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Always reducing unsprung weight is where you start. Make that #1 on your list. It affects acceleration braking and cornering the most. Lightweight wheels are where the gains are. The stock wheels are pretty heavy. You can save pounds per wheel. Dump the run flats That saves weight too. You have to spend a fortune on brakes to save weight. But if you have the money look for floating disks with Aluminum carriers (if you can find them for the mini not sure). Suspension, keeps the rubber on the road so you can corner faster. If you don't have to slow down as much you don't need more power to go faster. unless you are just bombin down the freeway the driver really makes the most difference. Money spent on a driving school would probably make you faster than any mod I have mentioned and that carries over to anything you drive rather than just this car. Something to think about at least.