JCW New order, how long now?

Old 11-29-2016, 06:36 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
New order, how long now?

After two years of waffling I finally ordered a new JCW, my sixth MINI and third JCW after two R56 versions. My timing was perfect, went in just a couple of days before dealer's allocation was locked in two weeks ago and car was built last week. It's been five years since I've waited on an order, how long should I expect for it to be delivered. I live in Houston and our cars now come into Galveston just 45 miles away.
MA is suggesting end of January, I'm hoping for a Christmas present. Who's right?

Old 11-29-2016, 09:52 AM
Dziuna
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtbscott
After two years of waffling I finally ordered a new JCW, my sixth MINI and third JCW after two R56 versions. My timing was perfect, went in just a couple of days before dealer's allocation was locked in two weeks ago and car was built last week. It's been five years since I've waited on an order, how long should I expect for it to be delivered. I live in Houston and our cars now come into Galveston just 45 miles away.
MA is suggesting end of January, I'm hoping for a Christmas present. Who's right?
I ordered September 10th or so Allocation was filled in few days (got lucky) car was finished first week of October then it missed 2 or 3 boats and I just got it week and half ago.
So you may have to wait until January
I'm also NY first stop after Halifax

G

Old 11-29-2016, 03:06 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Wow you've had 5 Minis. I've never heard anyone who had that many. All hatchbacks? Which years? If it was built last week you should get it by the end of the year. I got both mine at the Scottsdale dealer, can't stand that waiting around thing.

Old 11-29-2016, 04:06 PM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
All hatchbacks? Which years?
Yep, here they are: 2006 R53, 2008 R56S, 2009 JCW, 2011 JCW, 2011 R56S, first four bought new, the current one bought used in 2013. I hope you're right about delivery by end of year. BTW, per ASKMINI, my car was updated today from "production completed" to "waiting for transport."

Attached Thumbnails New order, how long now?-dscn4080.jpg   New order, how long now?-cimg0608.jpg   New order, how long now?-dsc00730.jpg   New order, how long now?-img_0318.jpg   New order, how long now?-img_1100.jpg  

Old 12-01-2016, 06:12 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
Received 137 Likes on 90 Posts
Nice, we are on our second JCW, the F 56 JCW is by far their best offering yet, but it loses some luster due to the snout and a few other items. But, it is the best performing one by far with some tweaks it is a little beast and the torque is very impressive. I ordered an early one and have really enjoyed it. I wish we could order them without the crappy runflat Dunlops, ripped an inner sidewall during the MOTD and resorted to having Michelin onsite install a new set of shoes during the event. I only missed 1/2 a day of the event thankfully. I ordered ours in April, but didn't receive it until the end of October, but we still had our R JCW to drive until we received the new one, so it wasn't too bad.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:50 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
I got the VIN today but dealer says it's still waiting for a boat in thrir system. I'm still optimistic that I'll see it by the end of the year.
I wasn't enamoured with the F series at first but they've grown on me. I think it's a more "grown up" car thsn the previous generations and that fits perfectly with what I want now. I only test drove an automatic JCW when they first came out, mine will be manual. There are three MINI dealers in my town and none of them regularly have JCW's on hand.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:19 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
I got the VIN today but dealer says it's still waiting for a boat in thrir system. I'm still optimistic that I'll see it by the end of the year.
I wasn't enamoured with the F series at first but they've grown on me. I think it's a more "grown up" car thsn the previous generations and that fits perfectly with what I want now. I only test drove an automatic JCW when they first came out, mine will be manual. There are three MINI dealers in my town and none of them regularly have JCW's on hand.
Typically the only JCW our closest dealer ever has is a base model one, or one that is base performance-wise, but loaded up with electronic gadgetry. When we ordered ours it took just shy of 5 months to get it. Luckily, I didn't trade our R56 JCW in on it and I drove it until the new one arrived. I still miss it, but the F series is a stellar performer although it has lost some of its mininess. However, I love the performance and handling. I decided to keep the Dunlop runflats on this one as I took a beating selling the ones on the R series. The second trip to the Tail of the Dragon I ripped the inner liner of the left front and a large knot appeared on the sidewall. It would have ruined my trip except for Michelin Onsite and I called their 800 number and had new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+s on it the next day. The ride and handling were dramatically improved. I wish you could spec tires with the order.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:23 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Are they all arriving with Dunlops? I thought I had also heard Pirellis being mentioned. I've always gone with summer non-RF's but will probably burn the OEM tires off first.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:36 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
Are they all arriving with Dunlops? I thought I had also heard Pirellis being mentioned. I've always gone with summer non-RF's but will probably burn the OEM tires off first.
They were in 2015, I don't know if they switched or not. They may have due to the carping by owners about how lousy the Dunlops were.

Last edited by KYDan; 12-01-2016 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Corrected Spell check edit!
Old 12-01-2016, 02:05 PM
Dziuna
1st Gear
Talking

Originally Posted by KYDan
They were in 2015, I don't know if they switched or not. They may have due to the carpy by owners about how lousy the Dunlops were.
Hi guys as I mentioned before my JCW missed 3 boats before left Southampton UK.
Either way good luck.
Not sure what is harder waiting for that car to arrive or waiting to hit 1200miles
9 weeks the whole wait from. The day was ordered.
About the tires I have 17inch wheels and Hankook tires.
Picked the all season once as we do get some snow here and I will be getting different set of wheels and tires for summer.

Old 12-04-2016, 01:35 PM
WhatV8
4th Gear
Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
My guess is early/mid-January, but hopefully I am wrong. I ordered mine on 10/29 and am hoping for delivery in ~2 weeks as my transport ship is due to dock in Baltimore tonight. Funny thing is, mine went on to the ship in Southampton, went over to Germany, to Belgium, back to Southampton, then finally out to the Atlantic...nothing like a quick Euro tour before heading over, eh??

Follow the tracking tips in the 1st Gear thread for the most up to date info. I just discovered that 'vesselfinder.com' site has better shipping tracking info than the one suggested here. Good luck!

Old 12-05-2016, 09:26 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
As of today still "awaiting transport." I naively didn't know until last week that MINIs and BMWs are shipped together which explains your cars circuitous path. If mine doesn't get on a boat by the end of the week I think a 2016 delivery is out if the question.

Old 12-05-2016, 09:41 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
As of today still "awaiting transport." I naively didn't know until last week that MINIs and BMWs are shipped together which explains your cars circuitous path. If mine doesn't get on a boat by the end of the week I think a 2016 delivery is out if the question.
Be sure to call MINI USA and/or your dealer to make sure you have the most current info on your car's status. At the Lounge my car showed awaiting shipment long after it was on the boat.

Once on the boat, you can view the bill of lading at the shipping company web site and, using your VIN, track it.

The waiting is worth it.

Old 12-05-2016, 01:36 PM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts
I ordered a 2017 ALL4 Clubman S on Oct 29 of this year. I picked up the car on November 30! I live on the east coast and the car came into Baltimore about 2 hours from the dealer. I believe the destination port has a lot to do with how fast your car will come. My salesman was shocked at how fast my car came and he claimed it was the fastest Mini from start to finish he'd seen built yet....

Hope you get yours soon....waiting sucks!

Old 12-05-2016, 02:21 PM
Shark52
Neutral
Ordered mine about 10 days before you. It had a birthday of November 7th and arrived at the port in Georgia today. Hopefully have it in another week. It did set at port for awhile waiting to be shipped but still looks like around 7-8 week timeframe.

Old 12-05-2016, 07:17 PM
WhatV8
4th Gear
I have to agree with Shark52 on the timeframe, as of today mine arrived at the Baltimore port or 5 weeks from my order entry date. Add to that 1-2 weeks to get through the VDC and transported here to Chicago and that puts me right in the 7-8 weeks. Still better than the dealer's original 12 week estimate!

Old 12-07-2016, 01:19 PM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Well, it's now on the Athens Highway headed to the US. Left today and it's usually 21-22 days to Galveston. My MA says once it gets there they can go pick it up so before the new year is still a possibility.

Old 12-08-2016, 05:05 PM
WhatV8
4th Gear
That's encouraging news, good luck on a swift ocean voyage!

Old 12-08-2016, 06:56 PM
Shark52
Neutral
Well getting on the ship sometimes seems like the hardest part, aside from just the waiting. Mine however arrived at the dealer today. They are going to tint the windows and I am going to pick it up Saturday morning. Have to wait a day for the tint to dry so I can put the top down.

Old 12-08-2016, 07:56 PM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Pics Shark when you get it to make me more anxious please!

Old 12-09-2016, 08:33 PM
mtbscott
6th Gear
I'm now very curious and only finding bits and pieces of information on the interwebz. My car is on the Athens Highway per my MA, it left Southhampton on 12-7 and the typical route for BMW/MINI boats "used to be" New Jersey, North Carolina, Georgia, then Galveston.
According to two different maritime tracking pages, my boat is heading straight to Jacksonville, FL and is handled by AMPORT Logistics. There is definitely a large auto processing area in JAX but I've just never seen it mentioned before. It would also make sense logistically for it to come straight to Galveston after that stop. It's estimated to arrive in FL in seven days, I would think another seven to TX would be about right, so that might bring it here in around two weeks.
Anyone ever heard of that route?

Old 12-09-2016, 09:07 PM
Shark52
Neutral
The k-line schedule says it should be in Galveston on the 21st. It goes from Barcelona to Galveston.

http://www.kline.com/CarCarrier-Sche...g_Schedule.pdf

Old 12-09-2016, 09:43 PM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Shark52
The k-line schedule says it should be in Galveston on the 21st. It goes from Barcelona to Galveston.

http://www.kline.com/CarCarrier-Sche...g_Schedule.pdf
Wow, thanks for that! I couldn't find it under Wallenius Wilhelmsen, didn't even think of checking K-line.
There's one small fly in the ointment. It was late leaving Southhampton and did appear to stop in Barcelona but might have left a day late there, maybe it wasn't too much of a delay.
This makes sense though, dropping off a load of BMW's and MINI's at Galveston, then heading to Veracruz and Jacksonville to pick up cars made in Mexico. This is at least a week earlier than predicted though so I will almost surely have it this year!

Old 12-19-2016, 05:34 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Tick Tock. My boat cleared the strait between Key West and Cuba yesterday and is now in the open waters of the Gulf two days from port. I'm really hoping for delivery on Friday, based on what my MA has told me that's totally possible. Fingers crossed.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:07 PM
mtbscott
6th Gear
The plot thickens. The ship arrived a day early and is at the dock now...but my MA told me yesterday that this week is still a long shot. Apparently they can occasionally go pick up the cars themselves but the VDC still has to release them. The next few days will drive me crazy.

Search this Thread