JCW JCW with Dynamic Damper Control ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 03:02 PM
rtowell
4th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
I have DDC on my F56 JCW and I am very pleased with them. The ride is good and well controlled in normal mode. I added the NM 25mm rear sway bar and have no issues with the handling. For a daily driver, DDC is a very good option to go with.

BMW has used it for years so it is a well developed and proven system.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:29 AM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I just discovered i have DDC. I wanted no DDC but we built my 2019 prior to the new order packages and brute forced it so this fell through the cracks. The only implication is that my car is at the shop preparing for coilovers and rear sway install... and I have the wrong coilovers, ha.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:02 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by thirdraildesignlab
I just discovered i have DDC. I wanted no DDC but we built my 2019 prior to the new order packages and brute forced it so this fell through the cracks. The only implication is that my car is at the shop preparing for coilovers and rear sway install... and I have the wrong coilovers, ha.
Put springs on em, and call it a day!!
Im so happy with the H&Rs on DDC.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:26 PM
nclorax
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Had an 2005 MCS R53. Just got a F56 JCW without DDC. Ride is so smooth compared to the R53 that I think I would fall asleep while driving if I had gotten the DDC. From what I understand the sportiest setting on the DDC is still not as sporty as just the plain sport suspension. Don't get DDC use the money you save to upgrade the sway bar and chassis braces.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:22 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by nclorax
Had an 2005 MCS R53. Just got a F56 JCW without DDC. Ride is so smooth compared to the R53 that I think I would fall asleep while driving if I had gotten the DDC. From what I understand the sportiest setting on the DDC is still not as sporty as just the plain sport suspension. Don't get DDC use the money you save to upgrade the sway bar and chassis braces.
DDC in sport mode is much stiffer from Sport suspension.
Not based on what I understand, based on driving BOTH.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:08 AM
nclorax
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
DDC in sport mode is much stiffer from Sport suspension.
Not based on what I understand, based on driving BOTH.
Darn it, I should have ordered that. I wanted stiffest suspension and was told the DDC highest setting was not as stiff as the standard JCW Sport Suspension. Oh well, getting KW V2 on it so maybe that will stiffing it up some more.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:03 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Mind you the sport springs and Seay bars are slightly bigger and stiffer.
The DDC dampers stiffen the suspension above sport.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:01 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
You need to read this thread!....DDC is NOT stiffer than the Sport Suspension!

Old 06-14-2018, 10:01 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
The Gen 3 cars might be different but on the Gen 2 cars the springs and dampers are the same on the Sport Suspension (which I have) as on the standard the difference is the thicker sway bars.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:10 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 02fanatic
You need to read this thread!....DDC is NOT stiffer than the Sport Suspension!

Why because someone chose an arbitrary 30% or 10% number from the internet??

I drove a Sport suspension F56, and the DDC F56. I chose the DDC because in sport mode IT WAS stiffer than the sport suspension.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:39 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

I drove a Sport suspension F56, and the DDC F56. I chose the DDC because in sport mode IT WAS stiffer than the sport suspension.
I bet that's true. Because with the DDC at least you can make it softer. The way I understand it people who get the SS want better handling (ie steering) which you get with stiffer sway bars. I think a lot of 'em would be pissed if the coilovers were stiffer and made the car ride harsher. I don't think my JCW with the SS rides any different than my 2007 MCS which I added a rear sway bar to.

Old 06-14-2018, 02:16 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear

No, because it doesn't make sense. But, everybody has an opinion. It sounds like you drove two different cars. Were they both JCW's? Why would DDC be stiffer than stock sport suspension on the F56 JCW? The whole idea of the DDC is to soften the ride not make it harsher (at least on the JCW).

You are the only one that I've seen say what you are saying, that's all. Now, if you go with the pro suspension coilovers, or other setups, that can change everything. But the stock sport suspension on the JCW is the firmest stock setting available, based on everything I've read. Now, if DDC had multiple settings, it sort of makes sense that there may be a track (i.e. stiffer) setting, but I've never read this in MINI specifications or anywhere. I'm from Missouri, so I'd have to be "shown" otherwise.

I hope we're talking the same thing.....because the DDC is available on standard suspensions where the DDC in sport mode is "stiffer", but not as applied to the JCW sport suspension.

Maybe I'm just missing your point. Hopefully, someone chimes in to clarify. As it is, I think I'm confusing myself!

Old 06-14-2018, 02:33 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 02fanatic
No, because it doesn't make sense. But, everybody has an opinion. It sounds like you drove two different cars. Were they both JCW's? Why would DDC be stiffer than stock sport suspension on the F56 JCW? The whole idea of the DDC is to soften the ride not make it harsher (at least on the JCW).

You are the only one that I've seen say what you are saying, that's all. Now, if you go with the pro suspension coilovers, or other setups, that can change everything. But the stock sport suspension on the JCW is the firmest stock setting available, based on everything I've read. Now, if DDC had multiple settings, it sort of makes sense that there may be a track (i.e. stiffer) setting, but I've never read this in MINI specifications or anywhere. I'm from Missouri, so I'd have to be "shown" otherwise.

I hope we're talking the same thing.....because the DDC is available on standard suspensions where the DDC in sport mode is "stiffer", but not as applied to the JCW sport suspension.

Maybe I'm just missing your point. Hopefully, someone chimes in to clarify. As it is, I think I'm confusing myself!
The factory SPORT, on a JCW and S SPORT are the same suspensions, as is the JCW STANDARD, and S STANDARD.

If you are talking about the JCW suspension kit, that is an after sale install.
Thats a horse of a different color.

DDC does have multiple settings,
soft, mid and sport, the sport mode becomes a stiffer damper than the factory sport dampers.

Old 06-14-2018, 02:35 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
The Gen 3 cars might be different but on the Gen 2 cars the springs and dampers are the same on the Sport Suspension (which I have) as on the standard the difference is the thicker sway bars.
Gen 2 had sport dampers and springs, they were jarring as hell, I went with standard on my R56.

Old 06-16-2018, 05:02 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Ok, during a test drive yesterday for our 2nd MINI, a slightly used R60 Countryman, I asked the MA about the sport suspension and DDC. The stock sport suspension on the JCW cannot become stiffer if you add DDC....the DDC will only soften the ride. I think this is what I said before. This has nothing to do with pro suspension coilovers!

The sport suspension is 30% stiffer than the stock suspension. DDC on a stock suspension MINI can stiffen the suspension, but it will not be stiffer than the sport suspension.

Old 06-16-2018, 09:46 AM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

the 10% / 30% figures have been quoted by MINI themselves (MotoringFile references them here: http://www.motoringfile.com/2015/01/...ers-out-of-us/).

The DDC is not as stiff as the sport suspension, but does offer two settings: Normal and Sport. MID/GREEN modes will use the Normal setting and SPORT mode can be configured to use either the stiffer Sport setting or the softer Normal setting. Wheels and tires will of course affect ride as well.

Old 06-17-2018, 04:27 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
Received 137 Likes on 90 Posts
This is an interesting and long lived thread. We picked up our 2016 JCW in November of 2015 and it has been a love affair ever since. The car is definitely the most fun mobile we have ever had. We do have the dynamic damper control and find it suits our needs for about 90% of our driving. However, one of our best driving buddies just traded his mini in on a new Subaru WRX and to say the handling was impressive is an understatement. It is one bad A family car! It was all I could do to hang with him on the Tail of the Dragon and I was driving at my limit and he was new to the Subaru. However, the Subaru left me flat as far as the fun factor the mini has. But, it was definitely a better performer than the mini. I am still impatiently waiting for the GP to become available and I really think I want one, but I will keep the JCW as a daily driver even though it has almost 35,000 miles on it. It has been a good and faithful fun mobile since day one and has not had any real issues. The DDC was/is a good option for my needs and wants for a daily driver, and a frequent twister as we have a plethora of good backroads in Kentucky and occasional track duty. If I could only have one car it would be the F56 JCW as it is a good value multiple use auto. It would be a better performer if I put some good MSSs on it, but I prefer the all season for year round use without changing tires 2-3 times a year.

Old 06-17-2018, 05:48 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Hey Dan, I finally have a dipstick & a CD player! Bought a 2015 Countryman S All4 for my wife! I’m going to yank the runflats and go with what you have on your JCW...it will help her back too! I just need to swap out the ugly stock 17” wheels to those gorgeous 18” silver multi-spoke mini style wheels & it will be all set....pick it up next week. The rubber is also much wider on the 18”s!

Old 06-17-2018, 05:57 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
Received 137 Likes on 90 Posts
I do have dipstick envy, I don't bond well with electronic nannies! Cool, on the countryman, AWD is a definite winner! It would be interesting if they would try it on the hatch or GP! Yep, I am not a RF fan of any sort.

Old 06-18-2018, 01:07 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Welp, I'm swapping out the coilovers for the DDC versions of the same model. Onward!

Old 06-23-2018, 11:29 AM
ToyCar
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I bought a 2017 JCW without DDC. It came with Hankook runflats and for me, the ride is a bit harsh on rough roads. My options? Would changing tires help? I thought of carrying a spare and switching to conventional tires but haven’t been able to find a wheel that will accommodate the Brembo calipers. Anyway these old bones don’t like the harshness, but the youngster loves the car.

Old 06-23-2018, 12:17 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ToyCar
I bought a 2017 JCW without DDC. It came with Hankook runflats and for me, the ride is a bit harsh on rough roads. My options? Would changing tires help? I thought of carrying a spare and switching to conventional tires but haven’t been able to find a wheel that will accommodate the Brembo calipers. Anyway these old bones don’t like the harshness, but the youngster loves the car.
NM engineering has cool wheels that clear the big brakes!!

Non run flats will help the ride, but this is a MINI, road noise is still there.

The following users liked this post:
ToyCar (06-25-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 12:18 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
You won't find a spare for the big brake kit, but I believe Outmotoring or detroit tuned has a spacer just for the spare when needed.

https://www.outmotoring.com/12mm-sin...-spacer31.html

ToyCar (06-25-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 01:00 PM
ToyCar
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks TV..........another option for me is one size larger run flat and then I could dispense with hauling a spare around. Anyone know if a 205/50/17 might fit? A bit more sidewalk and a brand better than Hankook might just be enough.

Old 06-23-2018, 02:29 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear
You might try running a bit less tire pressure too! I have a JCW 3Dr Hatch with 18” wheels & runflats and I love the ride....to each their own. I agree with the NM Eng wheels as being a great option.

But, why not simply try non-runflats on the stock wheels first?

ToyCar (06-25-2018)

Quick Reply: JCW JCW with Dynamic Damper Control ?