JCW The Differences: F56 JCW vs. Cooper S

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 10:33 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
The JCW seats are interesting. The headrest is fixed, but there's still a headrest restraint bar that's mounted the same way as the normal seats, it's just not adjustable due to the upholstery style.

Check out the upholstery page here. All seats are mostly Dinamica [a brand name for a faux suede], and then either have cloth [standard] or leather [$1,950 option] trim. The Dinamica is black on the cloth trim, and red on the leather trim.

The Chrono "paket" gauges are online. The gauges are #62109363125, the LHD bezels are #65509347442 & #65509347446.

Also, the A/C condenser is a new part number, likely as part of the new radiator and intercooler stack-up.

Old 05-06-2015, 01:28 PM
blue al
4th Gear
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryephile

---------------------------------------------------------------

*The new Brembo front brakes are 4 piston fixed calipers using 2 bridge pins and a retainer spring to locate and quiet the front pads. The JCW pads appear to have much more volume and area than the Cooper S pads. This is good for brake torque and thermal capacity. The pads will also be very quick to change, meaning a swap from street to track compounds can be done quicker than the time it takes to unbolt the wheel.

*The new rotors are 335 x 30mm, versus the Cooper S's 294 x 22mm. That's a big increase in both diameter and width.

*The rear brake rotors are still 259 x 10mm, same as Cooper S, however the calipers and mounts are new part numbers, perhaps because they're painted red.

*Given the much larger front brakes, it's not surprising the Master Cylinder is different [#34336868997]. The proportioning and/or bore size is likely changed to maintain hydraulic balance. Interestingly, the ABS servo is the same as Cooper S. The Vacuum booster aka Servo is also different, now #34336869016.

*The wheel part numbers are still not updated.

So a retrofit upgrade to Jcw brakes,
won't give give you real jcw stopping power
As its excluding both these parts ?

Not feeling the love for spending 2k anymore

Last edited by blue al; 05-06-2015 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:35 PM
blue al
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIAC
RealOEM lists the 17" Race Spoke wheel, which according to the MINIUSA Configurator is only available on the JCW.

Also, why would MINI make two different 17" Track Spoke wheels, one for the JCW Exterior Package and one for the no-cost option on the JCW?
Just a quick thought,

Would wheel codes relate to a package with jcw centre caps as opposed to only mini ones for the s

Casting of rims being the same ?

Old 05-08-2015, 07:26 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by blue al
So a retrofit upgrade to Jcw brakes,
won't give give you real jcw stopping power
As its excluding both these parts ?

Not feeling the love for spending 2k anymore
It'll be close since the cars have EBD. Given the opportunity to dial in the base hydraulic balance versus relying on the ABS module, that's what they did with the JCW vs. MCS w/JCW brakes.

Originally Posted by blue al
Just a quick thought,

Would wheel codes relate to a package with jcw centre caps as opposed to only mini ones for the s

Casting of rims being the same ?
Maybe, but not likely since they list the center caps as a separate part number. Either the dealership "info" is wrong or RealOEM hasn't been fully updated yet. My hunch is on the latter, given the total lack of front suspension numbers on there along with no AMOeK details apart from the air duct.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:44 AM
blue al
4th Gear
Bit the bullet and have some jcw callipers on order
Suppose I could retrofit a better master cylinder if needed further down the line
Will be exploring 2 part discs before fitting, as I like to save the weight, and jcw parts are never cheap
thinking audi/vw might have something close enough

Old 05-17-2015, 05:04 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
I found a JCW auto at Motor City MINI today and took some pictures. This particular model is Rebel Green with Chili Red and black Track spokes. Overall the car has great presence and clearly looks like the hot-rod of the bunch. A few notes:

*The track spokes are indeed very different from the same style wheels on the Cooper and Cooper S JCW Exterior pack cars. The JCW wheel spokes bow significantly convex to clear the Brembo calipers. IMO, they're pretty ugly, as convex face wheels resemble something really really cheap from Discount Tire. :(

*The Rebel Green is so dark, I actually thought it was black until a glimpse of sun came through the clouds and I was like "oh wait, that's a strange looking black". I had to check the window sticker to see that indeed it was Rebel Green. Wow, it's the darkest green I've ever seen.

IMG_5659.jpg by Ryephile, on Flickr

IMG_5655.jpg by Ryephile, on Flickr

IMG_5664.jpg by Ryephile, on Flickr

IMG_5660.jpg by Ryephile, on Flickr

I took an edge-on picture of the JCW-model wheel and another Cooper S with JCW exterior pack on the lot. You can see the latter is much flatter. Also, the JCW had all-seasons that were Hankook Optimo's.

IMG_5672.jpg by Ryephile, on Flickr

IMG_5674.jpg by Ryephile, on Flickr

Ok, some interesting details. There indeed is an extra aero pan on the passenger side under the boot floor. Also, an iPhone fits in the wheel gap of the front wheels! That'll get fixed on mine.

IMG_5666.jpg by Ryephile, on Flickr

IMG_5662.jpg by Ryephile, on Flickr

Here is the mysterious "AMOeK". This is looking into the driver-side front bumper grill, and then its exit into the driver-front wheel well. It's clearly a radiator, and my hunch is it's a 2nd radiator, not an oil cooler.

IMG_5670.jpg by Ryephile, on Flickr

IMG_5669.jpg by Ryephile, on Flickr

...and I got a nice reflection-free shot of the cloth upholstery. The headrest, shoulders, and thigh bolsters are in Dinamica, and the rest in a normal cloth. The "double stripe" still has the green/olive mini-stripe, just like the JCW interior pack Cooper and Cooper S Double stripe upholstery. The interior looked great overall, the graphic around the center stack ring is very whimsical, and the gauge faces are discreet.

IMG_5663.jpg by Ryephile, on Flickr

Cheers,
Ryan

Old 05-18-2015, 10:06 AM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Thanks for the pictures!

It's the first I've seen of the Rebel Green outside the auto show - looks like a beautiful color!

Old 05-18-2015, 02:25 PM
MoBoost
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for posting the pictures! It's almost my car (when ever it gets built).
I'll see the demo car at MCM tomorrow and have a talk with my MA.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:43 AM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts
thanks a lot for the information. The add. cooler i could never find at the common sources realoem, or what i use:

http://www.etk.cc/bmw/DE/search/sele...C/BMW+JCW/ECE/

Mybe an extra cooler for the A/T transmission.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:33 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Clutch Wotan
thanks a lot for the information. The add. cooler i could never find at the common sources realoem, or what i use:

http://www.etk.cc/bmw/DE/search/sele...C/BMW+JCW/ECE/

Mybe an extra cooler for the A/T transmission.
You're very welcome, and thank you for the link. Based on that, it looks like the JCW front knuckles, control arms, and bushings are the same as the MCS. That tells me there'll be no inherent added negative camber or positive caster with the JCW. Kinda bummed at that.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:24 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
RealOEM has updated the JCW parts listing, and I found one more change. The drive axle CV's are different than the Cooper S, the JCW's are instead a shared part number with the F55 and F56 Cooper SD, implying they're upsized to handle the additional torque. Cool

Old 07-07-2015, 02:48 AM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
the additional oil cooler is for the automatic, for MT this might be a superb additional oil cooler for the motor oil.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:54 AM
jamesdean
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am a Motoring Advisor. Own a fairly modded F56 S. Besides the brakes the appealing part of the JCW to me is how its tuned. You let off the gas under load and mine let's out 3-4 loud pops from the exhaust where JCW let's off a dozen times or so and does it btn gears which mine does not. Although mines much faster a JCW modded like mine would really be a hoot. So once my current lease is up the JCW with sport auto is next in line. BTW our dealership GM has a JCW for a demo and asked me to let him take mine out forxa quick run. His only reply when he came back was "Holy **** that's fast " , I said yes its okay

Old 07-07-2015, 03:08 AM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
the JCW is throttled down to 233-238 km/h until he has reached a millage of 2000 Km, full power available still later.

With regards to the exhaust, i personally don't like artificial sound engineering, the purest sound to my opinion available through the "prokit exhaust" which is simply open. I have mounted that under my MCS as a single exhaust solution, which gives you much fun. For my new JCW thats a must even if you don't get it alone but 1.400 Euros for the whole kit, makes it still cheaper than Akrapovic if the ***** ever come up with it.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:32 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
the additional oil cooler is for the automatic, for MT this might be a superb additional oil cooler for the motor oil.
Not sure I agree yet. The parts lists are not updated to show the additional cooler. Note the extra coolant lines [#10 and #12] as specifically for the automatic trans oil cooler, yet the part numbers are described as coolant hoses, and also used on the F55, F56, F45, and F46 in apparently all gasoline auto trans variants, yet the Cooper and Cooper S automatics don't have the extra cooler seen in the front left of the bumper of the JCW. These hoses appear to be the coolant/trans oil heat exchanger built into all automatic trans for this platform and not related to the extra JCW radiator.

So far there's 1 person on this forum that's seen a JCW 6MT, but they haven't reported whether the extra bumper radiator is there or not.

*update* The first USA JCW 6MT delivery on a forum shows in the 5th picture the manual trans indeed has the AMOeK.

the JCW is throttled down to 233-238 km/h until he has reached a millage of 2000 Km, full power available still later.
Though I wouldn't find that unusual, it's the first I've heard of it for this model. Do you have a Source?

Last edited by Ryephile; 07-08-2015 at 06:17 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:44 AM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
well lets see.

The 2nd. point however i might be right

Old 07-07-2015, 08:05 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
well lets see.

The 2nd. point however i might be right
So is the speed limiter just a guess, an experience, or where did you hear it from? I'm trying to keep this thread factual and not rumor-based.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:55 AM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
No guess, maybe this is not so obvious, as you can't drive 240 every day on the highway, correct 242 what i do every day on my Cooper S. The 242 corresponds with the quoted MINI TOP Speed of 238.

The New JCW i drove over the weekend 1.600 Km millage was slower (Speedometer) 233-238, this experience is shared from several members in the German F56 forum, and from 2000 Km onwards you later reach the quoted top speed of 248

Mybe it is not quoted in the sales flyer that MINI uses their electronic devices to control the run in time for the motor.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:09 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Thank you for sharing those experiences.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:11 PM
jComp4
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes thank you all for sharing ,such get info!

Old 07-17-2015, 02:23 AM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
No guess, maybe this is not so obvious, as you can't drive 240 every day on the highway, correct 242 what i do every day on my Cooper S. The 242 corresponds with the quoted MINI TOP Speed of 238.

The New JCW i drove over the weekend 1.600 Km millage was slower (Speedometer) 233-238, this experience is shared from several members in the German F56 forum, and from 2000 Km onwards you later reach the quoted top speed of 248

Mybe it is not quoted in the sales flyer that MINI uses their electronic devices to control the run in time for the motor.
The additional heat exchanger is for the AT, and will be a perfect engine oilcooler for the future.

You mentioned here, that the drag of the JCW is higher than the MCS is that confirmed ?

Old 07-17-2015, 07:15 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
The additional heat exchanger is for the AT, and will be a perfect engine oilcooler for the future.
Already dis-proven with pictures; it's on the manual trans cars too. We just don't know what it's cooling yet.

You mentioned here, that the drag of the JCW is higher than the MCS is that confirmed ?
It's in the official press releases, I attached the latest one.

***I've also updated the 1st post to be more complete and accurate***

Attached Files

Last edited by Ryephile; 07-17-2015 at 08:05 AM.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:22 AM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

This is why I have always jumped up to the 215 x 45 x 17 in tire size. It helps correct the speed o meter error. I tried the 205 x 50 x 17's but they were a little too tall. Had clearance problems in my roadster on the passenger side rear. Corrected it with a NM rear sway bar.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:34 AM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
After reading that post, I guess that I misunderstood what you were talking about. I was referring to the speedometer error that MINI's and BMW's seem to have. They run about 4 miles per hour off at 60 mph. I've always thought that MINI put too small of tires on our cars, and the larger tires seem to fill up the space a bit too. Wonder if a 225 x 45 x 17 would clear things? The rear seems to be where things get tight.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:39 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
It's not been verified that the F56 has a similar speedometer error as the R53 or R56 MINIs.

You also don't "correct" tire rubbing with stiffer wheel rates, merely mask it with reduced suspension travel. Even then, your rubbing is not relevant to the F56 as the wheel well shapes are different.

I know you're trying to help, but please keep this thread on topic and leave the speculation based on different platforms out of it.

Quick Reply: JCW The Differences: F56 JCW vs. Cooper S