JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW JCW upgrade tuner kit at dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 07:56 AM
guso
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JCW upgrade tuner kit at dealer?

Need a little advice. I have a MCS in production. I didn't order the JCW because I thought I could do better with the $5,000.00 savings in buying aftermarket mods.
Did I make the right decision or should I go with the dealer installed kit and add other mods?

thanks

Old 03-04-2009, 08:29 AM
CAPO
2nd Gear
You can go aftermarket, but you risk loosing the warranty if something goes wrong.

I was almost in the same boat... I was thinking of ordering the MCS with a tunning kit to save money.. But because I'm not in a hurry I'm going wait, put the money together, and get the JCW. I only wish they offer JCW coilovers.. and not aftermarket parts at all!

One thing, the tuning kit is way cheaper than the JCW... Why not enjoy the MCS for a while, and then get the tuning kit in a future? or if you have a ride right now, why not to wait and put the money together for a JCW?

Old 03-04-2009, 08:30 AM
MPowerF1
2nd Gear
Depends on what you want. I ended up with the JCW for a couple of reasons:

1. I wanted a nice exhaust that didn't drone or become too obnoxious. My last car had an aftermarket exhaust on it and while I loved the first month-or-so with it, after a while when you just wanted to get home, it was annoying. The JCW exhaust is the perfect mix of aggressive sound and civility.

2. JCW badges. I put about 2,500 bucks into my last car (MX-5) with various aftermarket modifications and when I went to sell it, I got almost none of the money back. The JCW badges should change that slightly. You won't get a lot of value, but you will get some.

3. Warranty. If you go aftermarket it is very likely that you will never have any problems (depending on what you modify) when it comes to the warranty. But I don't want the hassle.

Those reasons were ultimately why I got the dealer kit. And after about 6 months with the kit, I have to say I love it. Great, smooth power and a perfect sound. But ultimately it depends on what you want. If you want a lot of power, the JCW route is not the one to go.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:58 AM
guso
1st Gear
Thanks guys,
My MCS is in production so I can't make any changes at the Factory level at this point. In reaserching I found that the exhaust upgrade from Milltek alone, supposedly increased the HP to almost what the JCW puts out. Thats why I was a little sceptical with paying that much. But I wasn't able to find any reliable engine tuning sources that is why I am contemplating on doing the upgrade at the dealer when it arrives or just waiting awhile.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:46 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
JCW tune kit = major fun, but watch for the fuzz, man

Old 03-04-2009, 11:32 AM
guso
1st Gear
sequence,
my current car is a bmw 335i, I enjoy fun!!

Old 03-04-2009, 12:01 PM
Elwood09
2nd Gear
After passing on it when I placed the order, I changed my mind and did the kit as well. I agree with all the reasons already mentioned, but what finally pushed me over the edge was when I realized I wasn't going to have the fastest Mini out there no matter what I did. I'm simply not rich enough. Once I reconciled that with the idea that I would still be faster than stock while having my warranty 100% intact AND the fact that I could wrap the cost into the financing ... it seemed like an easy decision to me. My only regret is that I didn't go with the JCW suspension, too. Now I have to go out and research which springs (coil overs maybe?) and sway bars, and there are ALWAYS better choices depending on my mood at the moment. I spent 4 weeks deciding between a 19 or 22 MM Alta sway bar before deciding on the 19. Then I called to order it, and ordered the 22!! Maybe you are more decisive than me, but I like the idea that it is the factory folks that figured out the optimum balance, and I don't have to worry any more. Now if I could get the dealer to give me a deal on installation .....

Old 03-04-2009, 10:13 PM
irishpunk
3rd Gear
Kit is FLuff :)

I do not think the $2,000 for the 19 HP kit is worth it...

At $29,200, the base JCW is not such a great value either: 30 HP for $29, 200 - $21, 950 = $7,150??

All that money to go 6.2 (0-60) instead of 6.7??

Wait until the warranty expires and use better value aftermarket parts, take a driving course, or buy a used EVO

If you don't mind the money - do whatever you like of course...

"The revised system nets 207 hp at 6000 rpm, with 192 ft.-lb. of torque available from 1850 to 5600 rpm—not too bad from a mere 1.6 liters. Gas mileage suffers a little bit, but the JCW still offers econobox thrift, at 25 mpg city and 33 mpg highway. That's just 1 mpg less than the 175 hp Cooper S. "

Old 03-05-2009, 05:07 AM
guso
1st Gear
What a delema. Spoke with the dealer yesterday and she quoted $2500.00 installed for the kit.
Wouldn't I get more horse power for less money if I get a Alta intercooler, Alta intake, and Milltek exhaust than getting the JCW kit which just gives me only a total of 192hp??

I know about the warranty issue, but from what I've read in these forum these components are pretty solid.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:47 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by guso
Wouldn't I get more horse power for less money if I get a Alta intercooler, Alta intake, and Milltek exhaust than getting the JCW kit which just gives me only a total of 192hp?? I know about the warranty issue, but from what I've read in these forum these components are pretty solid.
One caveat: dealers are getting more militant about aftermarket mods, esp for the Prince engine If you go this route talk to yr service advisor and if they say OK it wont invalidate yr warranty get it in writing. Buyer beware.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:16 AM
MPowerF1
2nd Gear
What a delema. Spoke with the dealer yesterday and she quoted $2500.00 installed for the kit.
Wouldn't I get more horse power for less money if I get a Alta intercooler, Alta intake, and Milltek exhaust than getting the JCW kit which just gives me only a total of 192hp??

I know about the warranty issue, but from what I've read in these forum these components are pretty solid.
I don't know if you have driven an MCS with the JCW kit but based upon what you written I am going to assume that you haven't. Because of that, this whole "only 17" horsepower discussion is a bit pointless. The only real way to make this decision is to go to a dealer that has a JCW-equipped MCS and take it for a test drive. At that point, you can deicde whether the power gains are worth it.

Oh, and for what it's worth, the dynos that I recall for the JCW kit give the MCS 185 horsepower and 200 lb.ft. of torque (at the wheels).

Old 03-06-2009, 12:02 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Guso, You can buy the JCW Stage 1 kit mail order at Morristown Mini for $1680 plus shipping with an average install of two hours.

Also, I am not sure about some of the HP claims of the third party vendors. You should also look carefully at where in the powerband HP and TQ are made in those graphs to see if it is useful in the way you would like to drive.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:01 PM
digi0123
3rd Gear
There are a bunch of forums here...the stock JCW has more HP and higher rated engine internals than a MCS with a JCW Stage 1 kit. Spend now or spend more later to make up for it.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:37 AM
guso
1st Gear
Thanks guys, I am going to spend now instead of later. Even thought it might not be the best bang for the buck. But it is something that works and is covered under warranty. The power is at all ranges unlike some products out there that the extra poweris attained until the higher rpms. After a year or two I will contineu to upgrade and perhaps by then there will be proven products.
Thanks again.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:58 AM
miniWall
Neutral
hello and here is what I did.
I have a 2008 'S' and Last year in November 2008 I purchased to JCW exhaust system (cold air, cd, exhaust) for Morristown Mini for $1680.00 plus shipping. Had it installed here at my local California dealer for $290.00. Picked up my car and I was like a kid in a candy store. Took er right onto the freeway and immediately noticed the difference and acceleration and speed and sound. I love it!

Old 03-13-2009, 02:38 PM
CooperS56
2nd Gear
I have had my JCW kit fitted for almost 2 months and am currently working with BMW to have my car reste to factory. i was running 207 hp from stock and after the jit was fitted it took me ot 195 hp. BMW said it was probably due to my gas, showed the the rolling test results and they said 195 was great, well it would be if i didnt roll 207hp 3 weeks before i had the stage 1 kit fitted, sounds great but a complete waste of money.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:08 PM
irishpunk
3rd Gear
Just to clarify: same dyno, more or less same conditions (temp./gas/etc.)?

The initial 207 reading seems high (you lucky!), since most dyno reports seem to be lower than manufacturer publicity.

Perhaps they can try with another "reflash" set of codes?

Keep us up to date with what happens.

Good luck,

Tim