JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW First impressions: '07 MCS w/JCW

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 01:08 PM
bgregg
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
track wheels & tires

Here is a picture of the track configuration: Motegi Traklites (forged 17") and Nitto NT-01 R-compounds.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:40 AM
bgregg
2nd Gear
track pads & install

Here is a side-by-side picture of track pads vs. stock pads.

And the installation on the MINI is easy:

Old 01-21-2008, 08:06 PM
bgregg
2nd Gear
track experience

To finish off this writeup, I did get a chance today to try out the MINI on the track at Laguna Seca. It was partially rainy and partially sunny day, so I got two 25-minute sessions under each of these "weather changes". I decided to go with the Kumho ECSTA SPT tires rather than the Nitto NT-01 because of weather forecast. I did run with the Carbotech track pads however, which was a good call.

I was really impressed with the wet grip of the Kumho tires and they allowed me to even get some passing done in the rain. Obviously, this car lives for corners!

The other thing that impressed me was how the car pulled in the uphill passing zones. I had wondered if I would be feeling the lack of power (coming from the M5) in these passing zones, but was able to get pointed by and make these passing zones work for me. So, the MINI made a favorable impression in both the wet and dry.

The other thing that impressed me was the DSC. I was able to spin the front tires with DSC activated without any unwanted intervention. The lights flashed but the wheelspin was definitely allowed. So I believe that the system is well sorted out for the 2007 model year. I don't have any comparisons to prior model year MINIs, so I can only compare to the older M5 version DSC that I have firsthand experience with.

All in all, the MINI put a big smile on my face and I drove it quite hard with no surprises at all. Much more tossable than my other car. I think the car favorably impressed my instructor as well, and even some other BMW drivers who didn't expect as much out of it. There were about 3 or 4 MINI cars that showed up for this event. It was a great day, and adrenaline has that characteristic of "happy juice" running through you.

If and when the next bigger size turbocharger comes out for this car, it will be giving even more cars a run. I can't wait to try out the R-compound tires at a future event.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:31 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Great thread! Thank you for posting all your impressions and reviews. It's also great to hear some relative perspective to a well-respected high performance car like the //M5. I look forward to seeing what comes of you and your MINI in the future. Enjoy motoring!

Cheers,
Ryan

Old 01-21-2008, 08:41 PM
Halifax
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome thread. I'm almost at the end of the 1200-mile break-in period on my JCW MINI. The machine is incredibly fast, has great burst power, and handles the esses here in the Berkshires at speed with ease. I have yet to use the sport button. I can't wait to see what it's like up in the higher revs.

I'd like to run autocross this year but I'm a complete newbie and have to do the research to see what it takes to play. Does it kill the warranty? Does the machine take a significant beating?

Thx agn for the JCW thread ... I want more of them

Old 01-21-2008, 08:53 PM
Mark Kurzius
3rd Gear
Thanks so much for taking the time to keep us up your cars progress..It's nice to see how you are enjoying the JCW kit and its ability to make this little car a whole lot of fun and a true performer.Thanks again and enjoy the car..

Old 01-21-2008, 09:52 PM
bgregg
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Halifax

I'd like to run autocross this year but I'm a complete newbie and have to do the research to see what it takes to play. Does it kill the warranty? Does the machine take a significant beating?
Halifax: I'd say autocross is harder on a car than road course style racetrack driving. The main advantage to road course driving is getting 100 minutes of driving in a day (plus classroom time too), rather than a couple of minutes of driving in the autox. The driving technique is also kind of opposite (smooth=fast in road courses). The risk level is different (making a mistake on a parking lot vs. making a mistake at speed with possible immovable objects). There is a precursor event to driving on the track in my area called a Car Control Clinic, which you may want to look for too. This would let you know if you want to spend money in this direction, since you can try it to see.

The best investment is on the driver skill improvement, rather than on the car improvement. Enjoy driving your MINI however you do it!

Old 03-26-2008, 09:39 PM
bgregg
2nd Gear
another track event

I got in a 2-day track event at Infineon Raceway under completely dry conditions in March. For this event, I was able to use the Nitto NT-01 tires and the lightweight forged rims. It was my first experience with this setup on this car, and a few notes to share from it.

First, the R-compound tires really stick well and reduce/hide the effects of torque steer so that I honestly don't remember that being very noticeable on the track at all. I don't even remember seeing the DSC light flashing with this setup either. This was different from what I remember with the street tires/wheels setup on the previous track event. Obviously I do notice the torque steer on the street setup.

The MINI was running the corners and the esses better than most of the more powerful cars, and would reel them in. In this way, the car actually teaches you to carry momentum. I liked having that feeling of driving a slower car faster. The car still inspired a lot of confidence when driving beyond the traction limits. The Nitto tires do make some noise when you overdrive their limits and didn't have a sudden limit that is all or nothing.

The brakes held up quite well for a 2-day event, considering I was using the Carbotech track pads, high temp fluids, and the JCW front drilled rotors. I didn't notice any reduction in brake feel and I liked this setup fine.

Mostly, I learned how to drive this car smoothly and brake smoothly and feed in a lot more throttle a lot sooner than I could in my other car. It was quite a good track car. On R-compound tires and lightweight wheels it is quite different feeling.

I would have liked more only for the straights, but everywhere else the car was plenty of fun as is. After the 2-day event inspecting my tire wear, the camber plates seem to be doing their job as the tires were wearing evenly. The MINI got noticed/appreciated by some of the other drivers on the track at the same time.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:18 AM
William Blake
4th Gear
What do you think of the JCW brake kit? (rotors and calipers)

Old 03-27-2008, 01:55 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
I've been thinking about the Motegi wheels; thanks for the review.
I have Nitto street tires (NeoGen); they give up the ghost in that all-of-a-sudden scary way though.
It's fun to dog Porsches...

Old 03-27-2008, 03:55 AM
Halifax
4th Gear
Originally Posted by bgregg
I got in a 2-day track event at Infineon Raceway under completely dry conditions in March. For this event, I was able to use the Nitto NT-01 tires and the lightweight forged rims. It was my first experience with this setup on this car, and a few notes to share from it.

snip...
Excellent report. I'm taking the advanced driver safety school and the high performance driving school with BMWCCA/NJ at Lime Rock and BMWCCA/White Mountain Chapter at New Hampshire in April. Looking forward to it!

Old 03-27-2008, 08:26 AM
SmokeM
5th Gear
Somewhere on a motorcycle board a guy is writing '...I was on my bike and got caught in the rain, this guy in a clown car starts tagging me so I go faster and he's still taggin me...' lol. Great thread thanks for sharing.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:42 PM
bgregg
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by William Blake
What do you think of the JCW brake kit? (rotors and calipers)
The JCW rotors are cross-drilled, which is a benefit only for heat dissipation. If heat isn't an issue, the solid rotors are probably stronger. But the cross-drilled look very nice, and you see them on most all the high performance cars these days.

The stock calipers are the same as the JCW calipers except for the paint color. So I have the stock calipers.

The next step upwards is the Factory JCW Stage II brake kit, which you may be referring to? That I don't have any experience with.
http://www.motoringfile.com/2007/10/...-the-way-2008/

Old 03-28-2008, 12:30 AM
William Blake
4th Gear
Thanks!

Old 03-28-2008, 05:21 AM
hendricks488
3rd Gear
honestly....I dont feel as though the JCW upgrade is worth the cost....when you think about it all you get is....A. a "new" intake, which consists of a new filter and a logo badge, B. they cut off your old muffler and attatch a new one, but i will give it the C. the ECU upgrade...the ECU makes SOME difference, but honestly I have an 07 MCS and my dad has an '08 JCW and they arent THAT different...so what i did is I had a DDM/WMW intake put on that is AMAZING, I am having the exhaust changed, not just a new muffler, new downpipe and catback....and then will have JCW software put in for the ECU...ultimatly saving me more money, and getting me more power....JCW is cool if you want to be "official" but necessary? questionable....it really depends on the motorer that you are...my dad loves his JCW car, and I love my custom work.....decide what really means more to you and go for that option!

Old 03-28-2008, 07:40 AM
bgregg
2nd Gear
I didn't realize that you could order the JCW software a la carte without ordering the whole Engine Tuning Kit? Is that true?

Old 03-28-2008, 07:44 AM
uzun
4th Gear
Originally Posted by hendricks488
honestly....I dont feel as though the JCW upgrade is worth the cost....when you think about it all you get is....A. a "new" intake, which consists of a new filter and a logo badge, B. they cut off your old muffler and attatch a new one, but i will give it the C. the ECU upgrade...the ECU makes SOME difference, but honestly I have an 07 MCS and my dad has an '08 JCW and they arent THAT different...so what i did is I had a DDM/WMW intake put on that is AMAZING, I am having the exhaust changed, not just a new muffler, new downpipe and catback....and then will have JCW software put in for the ECU...ultimatly saving me more money, and getting me more power....JCW is cool if you want to be "official" but necessary? questionable....it really depends on the motorer that you are...my dad loves his JCW car, and I love my custom work.....decide what really means more to you and go for that option!
How do you plan on getting the JCW software without buying the whole kit? I heard the JCW software is VIN specific. The JCW software for a different car would not work in your car unless someone figures out how to hack it.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:54 AM
hendricks488
3rd Gear
you cant dont worry about it haha NOTHING in this world is impossible to obtain, just need the drive and determination(and know the right people) and you can figure out how....it's a work in progress not finished yet....and yes, it has to be unlocked

Old 01-24-2009, 03:08 PM
bgregg
2nd Gear
JCW suspension upgrade

I'm at 10,000 miles now and decided to give the JCW suspension a try. Going from the sport suspension to the JCW suspension is not a huge change. It was more to keep me interested in the MINI since my eye has been wandering to look at other cars recently. (For example, I found myself at the Porsche dealer's lot looking at the Cayman S.)

So I figured putting a little more into the MINI will help me stay with it for a while longer. The JCW suspension kit was purchased from Morristown MINI. I gave them my VIN number and they got me the proper set of springs to go with the kit for $1045. Installation at my independent was $540 and a full alignment was $150.

In short, I got 0.5mm larger swaybars in front and rear, and different springs and dampers. At the same time, I changed my camber settings to put a little more in front (-1.7) and a little less in rear (-1.5) than I had before, based on tire wear. I have moved to a new set of street tires now and am trying out the Yokohama S.drive

Observations are that I can't tell a lot on the street...so it is definitely not a worse or more harsh ride than before (that is good for me). With only a 10mm drop in height I can still get over speedbumps and up my driveway. I probably feel the front camber change more than the suspension change on the turn-in feel, which is improved a bit.

I will get a chance to observe it on the track coming up in March for 2-day event at Infineon, so report back on that later. Since I have about 4 track events while on the sport suspension and had it for a full year of daily driving, it will be interesting to see what differences I can detect. Up for sale is the sport suspension, if anyone is interested.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:12 PM
bgregg
2nd Gear
Here is what the car looks like with the new ride height:

Old 02-02-2009, 01:46 PM
D-Unit
4th Gear
Sorry to hijack but, why the f would there be less down low power with the JCW Stage 1? I see that there is more power up high, but, how often will I be up that high? Being a street car, the time I spend up high will be limited. If it stayed the same, that would be OK with the gains up top. But, losing low end to gain top end on a street car seems dumb. On a track car that wouldn't really matter, but low end is important on the street. Any thought?

EDIT:
Of course, that graph we are basing this on is probably completely wrong like someone has said previously, but, it still makes me wonder.

Last edited by D-Unit; 02-03-2009 at 06:01 AM.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:05 PM
Cooltones
1st Gear
Originally Posted by sarafil
Hi, I'm another MINI and M driver! ('06 MZ4)
Yup! It's my JCW MCS on the weekdays, and the M5 on the weekends! Amazing how many more looks and compliments I get with the MCS.

30mpg during the weekdays, and 12mpg on the weekends!

-CT

Old 02-02-2009, 08:27 PM
DDoggJCW
3rd Gear
So sad you had to get rid of the M5. I bet that car was soooo much fun to drive. Due to the gas prices and maintenance cost, I had to get rid of my 01 540i 6-speed (and i had a lot of fun with it).

I recently ordered the JCW. I can't wait to get it, but I will always miss the 540.

Bill: Maybe I'll catch you around in the hills of Nor Cal. I love the back-roads. My favorite is HWY 9 doing into Santa Cruz where it passes Big Basin.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:49 PM
Mach V Dan
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by going4speed
I cannot find overlayed charts of the two. I would like to see the dip on the graph vs the jcw
This is a plot of a stock R56 MCS compared to a stock R56 factory JCW. (I know, it's not the dealer add-on JCW engine pack, but it's similar...)

--Dan
Mach V

Old 02-06-2009, 11:05 AM
spfdhed
3rd Gear
sarafil-I have seen a number of your posts over at the BMW site (bimmerfest). I don't get over there much since I sold the E46 and got the Mini S.

I have to echo the sediments on the JCW package (dealer installed). I have 1000 miles since the add on and I appreciate it more now. Very smooth linear power all the way to redline (don't get there much-like to not get a ticket!). My milage is down about 1.5 mpg (I don't think my driving has changed much).

Quick Reply: JCW First impressions: '07 MCS w/JCW