JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

JCW Intake w/Injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 08:14 AM
lsnover
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JCW Intake w/Injectors?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm a bit confused and need some advice.

Been considering a CAI including the JCW Intake, as I do not want to void my warranty. I see this is sold with and without injectors? How much of a difference to the Injectors make? Are these the same injectors I would get if I proceeded with the other R53 JCW upgrades? Will they improve mileage or decrease mileage assuming foot/throttle pressure remains consistent however unlikely. ;-)

Thanks!
Lee

Old 09-24-2007, 01:32 PM
verveAbsolut
4th Gear
I see this is sold with and without injectors?
Could you point out a link? For what it's worth, injectors are functionally irrelevant to an intake. I know the full JCW package comes with injectors, but if you're buying just the intake, you're getting that: just the intake.

How much of a difference to the Injectors make?
340 vs. 380 flow. Only necessary if you are running a reduction pulley, or something likewise that would require a higher necessary amount of fuel delivery. You will see no difference unless you are going to be, or are in a case where you are exceeding the flow specifications of your current injectors.

Are these the same injectors I would get if I proceeded with the other R53 JCW upgrades?
Again, I don't think I fully understand. New injectors, aside from the full JCW package for the car itself, are not in a bundled set. If you get the JCW package it will come with them. If you buy the pieces individually, you'll get just that: individual pieces, no bundle.

Will they improve mileage or decrease mileage assuming foot/throttle pressure remains consistent however unlikely. ;-)
Mileage is primarily a function of engine efficiency (holding ALL things else constant). Assuming foot/throttle pressure remains constant, your change with a new intake and/or injectors will be marginal. Anything that increases airflow on an engine with no change in efficiency will result in lower gas mileage (more air = more fuel burned = more power). Again, injectors without increased airflow won't really change all that much; the injectors will deliver as much fuel as needed, not more just because their capacity is more.

Anyone else, definitely please correct me if I am wrong.

- Matt

Old 09-24-2007, 05:17 PM
lsnover
3rd Gear
Here's the link:
http://www.myminiparts.com/proddetail.php?prod=JCAB

Also, if you download the official installation instructions for the JCW Intake, it discusses installing the injectors?

Thanks,
Lee

Originally Posted by verveAbsolut
I see this is sold with and without injectors?
Could you point out a link? For what it's worth, injectors are functionally irrelevant to an intake. I know the full JCW package comes with injectors, but if you're buying just the intake, you're getting that: just the intake.

How much of a difference to the Injectors make?
340 vs. 380 flow. Only necessary if you are running a reduction pulley, or something likewise that would require a higher necessary amount of fuel delivery. You will see no difference unless you are going to be, or are in a case where you are exceeding the flow specifications of your current injectors.

Are these the same injectors I would get if I proceeded with the other R53 JCW upgrades?
Again, I don't think I fully understand. New injectors, aside from the full JCW package for the car itself, are not in a bundled set. If you get the JCW package it will come with them. If you buy the pieces individually, you'll get just that: individual pieces, no bundle.

Will they improve mileage or decrease mileage assuming foot/throttle pressure remains consistent however unlikely. ;-)
Mileage is primarily a function of engine efficiency (holding ALL things else constant). Assuming foot/throttle pressure remains constant, your change with a new intake and/or injectors will be marginal. Anything that increases airflow on an engine with no change in efficiency will result in lower gas mileage (more air = more fuel burned = more power). Again, injectors without increased airflow won't really change all that much; the injectors will deliver as much fuel as needed, not more just because their capacity is more.

Anyone else, definitely please correct me if I am wrong.

- Matt

Old 09-24-2007, 05:53 PM
minimarks
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You don't need the injectors to add the JCW CAI. If you do want the injectors, you should also get the JCW flash or another ECU upgrade. Just my 2 pennies.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:10 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
The original JCW Engine Tuning Kit (198 hp), available in June 2003, included a 5th generation Eaton supercharger with a reduction pulley, a flowed cylinder head, a cat-back exhaust and an ECU remap.

A higher output (207 hp) version of the Kit became available in October 2004, which included an air box and larger injectors. At the same time an Upgrade Kit was made available for those owners with the 198 hp Kit, which included the air box, larger injectors and an ECU remap to accommodate the larger injectors. The air box itself was offered separately to be used on a stock MCS engine.

It sounds like your engine is stock, so all you need to buy is the air box. Unless you plan on going with the complete JCW Kit.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:17 AM
lsnover
3rd Gear
Thanks guys:

Just want toe CAI for now. I will upgrade the engine further once the warranty is up. I have a 2005 S in case I didn't mention that.

Regards,
Lee

Originally Posted by MINIAC
The original JCW Engine Tuning Kit (198 hp), available in June 2003, included a 5th generation Eaton supercharger with a reduction pulley, a flowed cylinder head, a cat-back exhaust and an ECU remap.

A higher output (207 hp) version of the Kit became available in October 2004, which included an air box and larger injectors. At the same time an Upgrade Kit was made available for those owners with the 198 hp Kit, which included the air box, larger injectors and an ECU remap to accommodate the larger injectors. The air box itself was offered separately to be used on a stock MCS engine.

It sounds like your engine is stock, so all you need to buy is the air box. Unless you plan on going with the complete JCW Kit.