Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Cooper Front License Plate Removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 09:13 AM
Thrilhouse
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cooper Front License Plate Removal

Ah, tax-return time is upon us, which inevitably leads to Mods!

My question today is, How does one remove the front license plate mount from a 2004 Cooper? I'd like to get an ALTA light bar with either 2 or 4 lights, and it would look so much better without the front plate (not to mention that, to run 4 lights, the plate would HAVE to be removed). I do live in a "plate required" state, but I'm willing to accept the occasional "fix-it" ticket.

Pic of vehicle in question (click for big pic):

Old 02-06-2007, 09:24 AM
101dals
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Thrilhouse
Ah, tax-return time is upon us, which inevitably leads to Mods!

My question today is, How does one remove the front license plate mount from a 2004 Cooper? I'd like to get an ALTA light bar with either 2 or 4 lights, and it would look so much better without the front plate (not to mention that, to run 4 lights, the plate would HAVE to be removed). I do live in a "plate required" state, but I'm willing to accept the occasional "fix-it" ticket.

Pic of vehicle in question (click for big pic):

Don't forget that some of the NAM vendors sell the tow hook license plate mount. Seem to remember a pic somewhere of the light bars with that mount. So you might still be able to avoid that fix it ticket...

Old 02-07-2007, 10:48 AM
MOE4me
3rd Gear
Since the bumper facia needs to be removed to install the Alta light bar, you could remove the plate frame at the same time- I believe it's simply attached to the facia. Do be aware, however, that the dealer drilled two? holes through your facia to mount the license frame. These would need to be plugged - if for no other reason than asthetics.

Unfortunately, the tow hook plate mounting option is not an option with the low light bar with either 4 lights or just outside lights. But if you were going with just outside lghts, you could keep your plate in place.

Rick