Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Of Mice & Cars

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 12:45 PM
DeniseK
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Of Mice & Cars

Help. Mice are eating my car. They are eating the seats. They are munching on the wires in the engine compartment. And yes, I have tried mouse traps, sticky mouse traps, peppermint oil, mothballs. Does anyone know of a secret mouse trap that I haven't tried?

Old 12-09-2006, 01:00 PM
Audioman
4th Gear
Try Peanut Butter for bait. My dad had a mouse problem, he said that they seemed to like PB.

Old 12-09-2006, 02:35 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Cat = no more mice problem.

Old 12-09-2006, 02:39 PM
DeniseK
2nd Gear
Cat? Did you say Cat?

I honestly did not have problems with mice, neither inside nor outside of my home, until I got a cat. The cat brought them in. Played with them. Let them go. The critters multiplied like, uh, like mice. Ergo my current situation.

Old 12-09-2006, 04:23 PM
davavd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You need a meaner cat. One that plays with them until they are really used up. And why don't mouse traps work? Mouse goes for bait, WHAM, the end. It has been years since I used one, but they always worked for me. Rat poison will work, but always seemed like the cruelest method of all to me. How do you think they get in your car?

Old 12-09-2006, 04:56 PM
Jtrem
6th Gear
Peanut Butter Works. My friend had a rat problem and they ate the interior of his car badly. He started parking his car on the street. It didnt stop, so i wondered what the problem was. Then I was helping him install a new dash to replace the one they chewed. Out pops a huge rat. I jumped in the backseat and kicked it. Killed the rat and broke his speedo haha

Old 12-09-2006, 05:14 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
mice rats . I have recently had a meese family move in my house & have been relocating them 1 by 1 using a humane mouse trap (mice are kinda cute, teeny & eeeeky, but cute so I can't bring myself to kill them). I don't have a lot of experience but I did have a rat in an apartment years ago that I thought was a mouse. Every morning I would get up to see my "mouse" trap snapped & the bait gone. If you are seeing major damage I suspect you may have a rat & you cannot catch a rat w/a mouse trap. Try buying a rat trap, they are bigger & peanut butter does make the best bait. If you want to go the humane route check out this one, it is like what I have been sucessfully using on my meese but the bigger rat version

Old 12-09-2006, 05:24 PM
MINI Monkey
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bamatt
mice rats . I have recently had a meese family move in my house & have been relocating them 1 by 1 using a humane mouse trap (mice are kinda cute, teeny & eeeeky, but cute so I can't bring myself to kill them). I don't have a lot of experience but I did have a rat in an apartment years ago that I thought was a mouse. Every morning I would get up to see my "mouse" trap snapped & the bait gone. If you are seeing major damage I suspect you may have a rat & you cannot catch a rat w/a mouse trap. Try buying a rat trap, they are bigger & peanut butter does make the best bait. If you want to go the humane route check out this one, it is like what I have been sucessfully using on my meese but the bigger rat version
The most humane way is my recommendation.

Old 12-09-2006, 05:32 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINI Monkey
The most humane way is my recommendation.
I know...I used a glue trap once. It was sooo sad the little guy was still alive, all terrified & stuck. I would have pried him lose if I could have but there was no way. I know its just a mouse but that must have been a terrible death. Now I just catch em & drive em 1/2 a mile down the road & set em free in a vacant lot. Errrr I'm hoping I have about caught em all cause teeny & cute as they are they still terrify me

Old 12-09-2006, 05:33 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Jack Russell terrior. If you dont want to buy one, borrow one from a breeder.

No more mice, no more rats, no more varmits of any kind.

A black snake will work to ... one like this. They LOVE mice.

Old 12-09-2006, 05:33 PM
boolean_bones
3rd Gear
I tried the humane way of getting rid of them once, but it backfired on the mouse. Caught it in my garage one night and it was squeeling up a storm. I decided to take it outside and take care of it in the morning. Instead the fire ants took care of it that night. I figure the PB and slam is much more humane.

Old 12-09-2006, 05:34 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by boolean_bones
I tried the humane way of getting rid of them once, but it backfired on the mouse. Caught it in my garage one night and it was squeeling up a storm. I decided to take it outside and take care of it in the morning. Instead the fire ants took care of it that night. I figure the PB and slam is much more humane.
I don't have fire ants in my house so I find the humane trap to be the kindest method

Old 12-09-2006, 05:57 PM
Jtrem
6th Gear
the most humane way is to take a .22 and blow there little heads off. They dont feel a thing. Im still working on the mouse guillotine Ill let you know how it goes.

Old 12-09-2006, 06:38 PM
schulzmc
3rd Gear
I know...I used a glue trap once. It was sooo sad the little guy was still alive, all terrified & stuck. I would have pried him lose if I could have but there was no way. I know its just a mouse but that must have been a terrible death. Now I just catch em & drive em 1/2 a mile down the road & set em free in a vacant lot. Errrr I'm hoping I have about caught em all cause teeny & cute as they are they still terrify me
Half a mile? They'll be back. Most web sites I have found recommend at least five miles away if you don't want them back.

Old 12-09-2006, 07:16 PM
DeniseK
2nd Gear
Have a heart

Sure I know about the Have a Heart trap. You can borrow them from your county extension office. I know about peanut butter. I also know about how cute they look and how I sometimes feel that there is some greater command center toying with me as I consider the mouse. I'd settle for a live and let live situation. These aren't rats, they're mice. Rats carry the hanta virus and I surely know what they look like. So the saga continues. Meanwhie, a full-size raccoon came through the dog door and all hell broke lose in the house. I opened all the doors, collected the dogs and cat into another room and managed to shoo the racoon away. The mountains are pretty dry right now and we have all sorts of wildlife wandering down to drink water. The other day I saw a gray fox and a large cat that looked like a lynx. Don't say it: I should forget the car and open a petting zoo, que no?

Old 12-09-2006, 11:07 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by schulzmc
Half a mile? They'll be back. Most web sites I have found recommend at least five miles away if you don't want them back.
Everything I've read says to take them at least 500 feet from the house. Oh well who knows I called myself dropping 2 off in the last week but maybe it was the same one .

Old 12-09-2006, 11:33 PM
valcom111t
4th Gear
haha we have one wander into our garage every now and then. Haven't noticed any mice!

Originally Posted by chows4us
Jack Russell terrior. If you dont want to buy one, borrow one from a breeder.

No more mice, no more rats, no more varmits of any kind.

A black snake will work to ... one like this. They LOVE mice.

Old 12-10-2006, 06:29 AM
DeniseK
2nd Gear
Sankes

I'm not afraid of snakes, but how do you lure them to your carport. Oh heck, they probably come with their own set of problems. Laying eggs. Making nests. Shedding skins. Soon I'd have to give up my lucrative career and start making snakeskin hatbands.
I now have peanut butter in my car on various mouse traps. While most folks just jump into their cars and take off, I have to first start removing traps before I can even think about putting the key in the ignition. And then there's the smell of peanut butter. I don't want to hear anything about jelly. PB&J plus a little DeCon?

Old 12-10-2006, 06:45 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DeniseK
I'm not afraid of snakes, but how do you lure them to your carport. Oh heck, they probably come with their own set of problems. Laying eggs. Making nests. Shedding skins. Soon I'd have to give up my lucrative career and start making snakeskin hatbands.
The snakes are harmless. They shed their skins and eat the field mice

Old 12-10-2006, 07:18 AM
elprofe
5th Gear
rat poison works really well if you dont have other pets in the house of course.

the rat that ate my spark plug wires was tortured and killed by my dog.

ps. I could not get there on time to save it and take it 500 miles away and relocate it.

Old 12-10-2006, 08:40 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
EGADS I just relocated meese #3 from my house (in a 2 week period ). I mean how many do I have . I know meese 2 was grey & meese 3 was more beige so it wasn't the same one coming back. I guess I need to start looking for an entry point because at this point I realize they clearly have me outnumbered

Old 12-10-2006, 08:55 AM
toolmichael
2nd Gear
The Hanta virus is carried by field mice, rats do not carry the virus, this does not make rats any more lovable. I've used an effective rat poison that will work for both critters. The problem is locating the dead mice, they get into tiny spaces and the smell is horrific which brings us back to traps.

Old 12-10-2006, 12:31 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Quit feeding the cat for a few days. Then the mice won't be a toy!
Annette

Old 12-10-2006, 12:33 PM
Jtrem
6th Gear
Originally Posted by toolmichael
The Hanta virus is carried by field mice, rats do not carry the virus, this does not make rats any more lovable. I've used an effective rat poison that will work for both critters. The problem is locating the dead mice, they get into tiny spaces and the smell is horrific which brings us back to traps.
I know what you mean. If you cant find them the smell is crazy! I had a few rats in my garage and when I set up traps with the poison I knew I had gotten them. Only trouble was I couldnt find them. The smell got to be so bad I knocked out some drywall and found a pretty large size rat in there. PRetty nasty.

Old 12-10-2006, 12:41 PM
MiniCD
5th Gear
I know...I used a glue trap once. It was sooo sad the little guy was still alive, all terrified & stuck. I would have pried him lose if I could have but there was no way.
Had this problem with a family of voles that took up residence on our dishwasher. I actually did try to pry one off the glue trap - it turned around and bit me!

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Of Mice & Cars