Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior '03 MCS factory foglight retrofit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 11:54 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Greetings!

I am the proud owner of an '03 MCS for less than a month now. But, typical me, I can't leave well enough alone. The car came pretty much loaded with everything, including some dealer-added stuff (done to pump up the price!). One thing missing from the options I had on this off-the-lot find was fog lights.

Being very adept at just about anything automotive, I decided to get the needed parts frm the dealer to add the factory fog lights in the stock locations. What I ended up with is the switch bank, two lights, pigtail wiring and connector housings for the bulbs. I noticed that the car had the fuse and relay in place for the fogs already. This was different than the kit that is shown in the DIY section of MINI2.com, which provides and instructs you the relay, fuse and extensive harness. I did some investigation and found most of the wiring in place. So far, due to lack of time to do any work on the car, I have only gotten as far as mounting the switch bank. I am also pretty sure the bc1 has to be programmed to see the new switch as well.

My question is, has anyone retrofitted the lights in an '03 MCS which already had some of the pieces in place? It seems to me that all I need to do is mount up the lights and bring the wiring to the fuse/relay block and it's done. Without instructions, and with the dealer people mostly clueless as to specifics, other than the recommendations of the parts software and pictorials this is the conclusion I have come to so far.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Old 04-18-2003, 09:14 PM
DeMinimus
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Greatbear. I don't know if this will tell you anything you don't already know, but there is a good how-to (I presume it is the factory/dealer how-to) on installing the fog lights in a car that didn't come with them at http://www.bridger.us/mini. It might answer your specific question(s). Good luck. You might also want to check out the nice white-white H11 bulbs which fit in the factors fog lights. They're made by Advanced Optik. More on those in the thread called"Sylvania Silverstars".

Old 04-20-2003, 06:36 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, the guide on the bridger site is the same as I have seen before, which details installing a light kit on a 2002 MC. This kit comes with 'more than I need', i.e. it seems that I have the harness mostly in place on my '03 MCS. All I really need now in this stage of the game is the tie-in point for the lights to the relay/fuse box, and to have the whole thing 'coded'.

I have been checking out the Silverstars via the forums.... looks like good stuff. WHen I get everything together and running, I miiiight just hafta get some for all the main lighting. :smile: