Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Easy sun visor warning label removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 09:27 PM
DeMinimus
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read the previous thread about removing the ugly warning labels on the sunvisors and tried those suggestions. The denatured alcohol was working, but it was taking a very long time and a lot of effort. So I tried Goof-Off then Soft Scrub with a Scotch Brite pad...even slower going. So I got serious and brought out the furniture stripper. Actually a product called BIX Tuff Job, a paint stripper I bought at Home Depot to strip an old desk. By then I had already removed both visors from the car and brought them inside to make it easier to work on them. If I had known how well and how easy the stripper was going to work I would not have had to remove the visors at all. The stripper is thick, almost a gel. I simply applied a layer over the label and let it sit for a minute or two. Then the whole thing, label and stripper, wipes right off with a paper towel. No dripping. No problem. No work. And I PROMISE you, no damage whatsoever to the visor. Admittedly, I was concerned about the possibility of damaging the plastic material. I tried a small drop of the stuff first to check, no harm. Did both labels, no harm. And this method does not create any label residue on the surface of the visor. Couldn't be easier.

Old 03-22-2003, 09:56 PM
HARMINI
5th Gear
Thanks for the tip. This sounds like the perfect little project for tomorrow. Off to Home Depot in the A.M......

Old 03-23-2003, 12:42 AM
Kohu'ulaMINI
5th Gear
WOW!!!! Another excuse to Motor.

"...uh,...honey, I need to go to Home Depot for some paint stripper. Be right back.."
Yeah, right!!!

Old 03-23-2003, 01:18 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
indeed, thanks for the tip!

Old 03-23-2003, 07:42 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My neighbor is a woodworker. I bet he has some!

Old 03-24-2003, 08:35 AM
HARMINI
5th Gear
WARNING!!!

Do not attempt this unless you get the exact product recommended or you'll end up with melted vinyl like I did. I went to Home Depot and they didn't carry BIX Tuff Job. Instead, I got CITRISTRIP paint and varnish stripping gel. It was a disaster!!! I ended up having to take off the damaged sun visor and I'll be contacting the dealer for a replacement. ARRRRGGGHHH!!!

Old 03-24-2003, 08:59 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Ouch! Sorry to hear of that. Thanks for letting us all know!
Chris

Old 03-24-2003, 09:01 AM
'*Ace*'
6th Gear
Perhaps some things should be left the way they are...

Old 03-24-2003, 08:29 PM
DeMinimus
1st Gear
Wow Harmini, I'm very sorry to hear that too. The BIX product worked flawlessly.

Old 03-24-2003, 08:31 PM
digitalpussi
3rd Gear
I have read that denatured alcohol works for this aswell.

Here's the link
http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthrea...atured+alcohol

Old 03-24-2003, 09:38 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Denatured alcohol would be my guess too; great for removing paints and markers without trashing plastics.

you can be sure I'll be doin' this the day my MCS get's home
Cheers,
Ryan

Old 03-24-2003, 11:01 PM
minimonkeygrrl
3rd Gear
DO NOT USE ANY OTHER PRODUCT THAN DENATURED ALCOHOL!!!

Even goo gone can ruin the vinyl, if you look at the label carefully it mentions that it may ruin rubber by dulling.

Denatured Alcohol costs about $2.50 for a large can that will last for ever. Heavily dampen 3 folded paper towels with the alcohol and hold against the sticker. (No need to remove or even move visors) After holding on for about 2 minutes rub the sticker, you will see it tear and ball up. You may need to apply a little more to the paper towel to get some of the edges off. Do not use any utensils not even your fingernails, if you have any trouble just hold the soaked paper towels on the sticker for another minute. The whole process takes about 5 minutes. I will have a link with pictures up soon. Best of all Denatured Alcohol doesn't even smell that bad...very good cause G MINI still smells so new.

Old 03-26-2003, 08:18 PM
DeMinimus
1st Gear
>>DO NOT USE ANY OTHER PRODUCT THAN DENATURED ALCOHOL!!!
>>
I don't know why you would say that. The product I specified in the beginning of this thread works really well, is easier than denatured alcohol, and does no harm to the vinyl. I'm really sorry about HARMINI'S bad experience with a different product, but I still think the information I posted is good and useful. Just trying to help....
>>Even goo gone can ruin the vinyl, if you look at the label carefully it mentions that it may ruin rubber by dulling.
>>
>>Denatured Alcohol costs about $2.50 for a large can that will last for ever. Heavily dampen 3 folded paper towels with the alcohol and hold against the sticker. (No need to remove or even move visors) After holding on for about 2 minutes rub the sticker, you will see it tear and ball up. You may need to apply a little more to the paper towel to get some of the edges off. Do not use any utensils not even your fingernails, if you have any trouble just hold the soaked paper towels on the sticker for another minute. The whole process takes about 5 minutes. I will have a link with pictures up soon. Best of all Denatured Alcohol doesn't even smell that bad...very good cause G MINI still smells so new.

Old 03-26-2003, 08:30 PM
Nomonstersinme
5th Gear
wow i didnt even realize there were stickers on there...

Old 03-28-2003, 03:35 PM
6f7
4th Gear
For those having second thoughts about removing these...I just finished removing them with denatured alcohol. It's a 15 minute job. I really don't think there is any way of damaging the visor with the denatured alcohol. I would recommend using gloves.

I didn't think the visor stickers bothered me, but it is really nice to have no idiot warnings in the car. Besides, we all removed the big one on the dash! Go ahead and finish the job and get rid of those visor stickers.

Thanks for passing on the info--well worth $3 and 15 minutes!