Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Finally blacked out belt line

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 05:10 PM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 10-06-2005, 06:14 PM
JustDandy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Battle Cattle
Mine as of today...
I'm on a similar path as you...

1. Had you thought about replacing your shiny Cooper S side vents with base Cooper side vents (while still keeping the clear lens)? Mine will be getting switched out on Oct 20.

2. Also, I used some dental floss and removed the "Cooper S" on the boot.

Yours is looking mighty fine. Hope to see it someday. Nice wheels, too. I've got the S-Lites.

john

Old 10-06-2005, 09:38 PM
chikmagnet
3rd Gear
yeah another option for the side vents is to paint them like I did. I just taped off the red part of the S and sanded them down so the paint would stick and voila

Attached Thumbnails Finally blacked out belt line-dsc01100small.jpg   Finally blacked out belt line-picture-166small.jpg   Finally blacked out belt line-dsc01072small.jpg  
Old 10-06-2005, 09:56 PM
Nuff
4th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by chikmagnet
yeah another option for the side vents is to paint them like I did. I just taped off the red part of the S and sanded them down so the paint would stick and voila
I was thinking about doing that instead of getting stock black ones. I was going to paint the stock black ones anyway.

Old 10-06-2005, 10:52 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
NiCE!! as soon as i can ill post mine!

.....not real good on this computer stuff so uploading pix is a bit tuff

Old 10-07-2005, 10:34 AM
Samtrak
4th Gear
I painted mine as well using the good ol fashioned krylon, kiddies. The red S is just a sticker, feel free to take it off with an exacto knife and then spray away!
Once it has dried, the nail polish color of your choice fills in very nicely. The applicator brush is even the perfect size! I chose a deep seductive blue for snazzing it up.

peace

Old 10-07-2005, 04:16 PM
conehead
3rd Gear
Nice job on the belt line black out . It is nice to see some things can be done with a little money and time instead of just money. Good work !

Old 10-07-2005, 10:56 PM
Nuff
4th Gear
Originally Posted by conehead
Nice job on the belt line black out . It is nice to see some things can be done with a little money and time instead of just money. Good work !
Thanks, but to be fair, it didn't even take that much time.

Old 10-08-2005, 10:17 AM
mellow
2nd Gear
I love these $10 - $20 mods!!!! The blacked out belt line looks great! I also just finished with Andy's VGS mod and has done wonders for the low end performance.

Something I wanted to share. Once I had the tape in place I rubbed along the belt line with a soft rag. After that, and before taking off the protective cover, I used one of those wooden paint stur'er things to go along the edges.

I started at one end and lightly pulled the tip's edge along the outter edges. This seemed to even them out. I then rubbed the strip with the clean cloth and then took the protective tape off.

Now for the all around 35% window tinting and getting the side vents black!

Old 10-08-2005, 10:22 AM
Nuff
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mellow
Something I wanted to share. Once I had the tape in place I rubbed along the belt line with a soft rag. After that, and before taking off the protective cover, I used one of those wooden paint stur'er things to go along the edges.
I did almost the exact same thing - except I used a plastic putty knife.

Now for the all around 35% window tinting and getting the side vents black!
You and me both, my brother! But I'm probably going with a 50% in the rear and a 80% on the front (just for the color). I know ... I'm getting conservative in my old age!!!

Old 10-08-2005, 10:36 AM
mellow
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Nuff
But I'm probably going with a 50% in the rear and a 80% on the front (just for the color). I know ... I'm getting conservative in my old age!!!
Would love to go darker but want to stay legal. In talking with the installer they said law enforcement is very strict about window tint. I can understand where they are coming from. I would'nt want to walk up on a vehicle that I couldn't somewhat see into.

Old 10-08-2005, 12:56 PM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
Would love to go darker but want to stay legal. In talking with the installer they said law enforcement is very strict about window tint. I can understand where they are coming from. I would'nt want to walk up on a vehicle that I couldn't somewhat see into.
Thats why your roll all windows down as they pull you over or as they are still behind you! you always need to make sure the cops can see ya if you have a dark tint. Even turn on your cabin light! If you do your best to stay visible even in dark tint they will more than likely let it slide atleast in TN area...

-Josh

Old 10-08-2005, 02:11 PM
Nuff
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Battle Cattle
Thats why your roll all windows down as they pull you over or as they are still behind you! you always need to make sure the cops can see ya if you have a dark tint. Even turn on your cabin light! If you do your best to stay visible even in dark tint they will more than likely let it slide atleast in TN area...
Can't always do that in time. I was pulled over years ago and rolled down my windows. Cop leaned in and rolled it up a few inches, saw the tint and peeled a section off - forcing me to remove it.

That doesn't always happen and they generally don't pull you over just for tint. Usually, you'll just get a fix-it ticket.

Old 10-08-2005, 02:34 PM
chikmagnet
3rd Gear
i have had everyone of my cars 5% all the way around (limo) and i have only been pulled over once. It was in my M3 and i was going the speed limit and everything but of course he saw a bright red M3 and i got it. It was a fix it ticket and i just waited till the morning of my court date peeled my two front windows went to court they looked at my and dismissed the ticket. I went directly from there to my tint guy and got it done again.

Old 10-09-2005, 09:07 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
i have had everyone of my cars 5% all the way around (limo) and i have only been pulled over once. It was in my M3 and i was going the speed limit and everything but of course he saw a bright red M3 and i got it. It was a fix it ticket and i just waited till the morning of my court date peeled my two front windows went to court they looked at my and dismissed the ticket. I went directly from there to my tint guy and got it done again.

Old 10-09-2005, 09:39 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
5% is too dark to me. 35% is pretty good if you want dark, and 50% is good if you want a classy, yet somehwat tinted look to the car. 5% reminds me of things like lowrider blazers, and neon green colored hondas. It really ruins the look of a nice car by making the windows into dark black 'shapes' instead of clear windows that were in the original design which really disrupts the flow.

And as me and my BMW buddies say...."a dark tint is for cars with ugly interiors." 25-35% gets you a very dark look to your car, i wouldnt go much lower without having seen it in person.

Old 10-09-2005, 12:28 PM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
I agree completely except on black cars...

-Josh

Originally Posted by RallyMINI
5% is too dark to me. 35% is pretty good if you want dark, and 50% is good if you want a classy, yet somehwat tinted look to the car. 5% reminds me of things like lowrider blazers, and neon green colored hondas. It really ruins the look of a nice car by making the windows into dark black 'shapes' instead of clear windows that were in the original design which really disrupts the flow.

And as me and my BMW buddies say...."a dark tint is for cars with ugly interiors." 25-35% gets you a very dark look to your car, i wouldnt go much lower without having seen it in person.

Old 10-10-2005, 01:49 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
i think 25% is a little dark, i had 25 on my DS/DS & i didnt like it so now i sport 35% all around 50% on my windscreen, comin' soon. (i have to replace the windscreen due to crack so peeled tint off for now)
****'batle cattle' on black cars (5%) it does look sweeeeet.....****

Old 10-10-2005, 01:52 PM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
Its all good.......For some people, change scares them and this is there way of dealing with it.

Old 10-10-2005, 01:56 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
typing patrol out again........

wuz ^^ do0d, r u referin' to that other thread about me let them be my man, for they know not how stupid they all sound/come across
Originally Posted by 1FSTMINI
Its all good.......For some people, change scares them and this is there way of dealing with it.

Old 10-10-2005, 09:02 PM
chikmagnet
3rd Gear
you know people who put other peoples cars down because they do not like or agree with a decision that person made about their own car. Should keep there opinoins to them selves. It is as simple as this
IF YOU DONT LIKE IT, DONT DO IT.
what suits me may or may not suit you
so let me do my own thing and i will let you do yours after all isnt that what owning a mini is all about INDIVIDUALISM & PERSONALISATION

Old 10-10-2005, 09:08 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
Old 10-10-2005, 09:09 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hes right.

you know, spray paint is cheaper than tint.

Old 10-10-2005, 09:40 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
hey, ?u startin' up trouble again??
Originally Posted by rednwhitecooper
Hes right.

you know, spray paint is cheaper than tint.

Old 10-10-2005, 09:41 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by joker
hey, ?u startin' up trouble again??

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Finally blacked out belt line