Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Painted pedals anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 11:44 AM
goaljnky
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painted pedals anyone?

I have a set of S type pedals coming. While sitting here waiting, a thought popped into my head:

How easy, or hard would it be to paint them body color? Would it last? Would you clear coat them? Would it be to slippery? Does the metal part separate from the rubber easy?

What does everyone think? I don't suppose someone already done this and has pictures?

Old 08-04-2005, 11:48 AM
minimort
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could just paint the metal on the dead pedal, or perhaps powdercoat it and clear coar over it?

Old 08-04-2005, 11:54 AM
goaljnky
Banned

I am talking about painting the metal on all four pedals to match the body color.

Old 08-04-2005, 12:05 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Jerry,
The rubber and metal are easily separated. The rubber is just an insert behind the "grill" of the metal pedal. I think it'd look pretty cool, and I don't think it would make them slippery considering that you step on the rubber not the metal.

As far as longevity, that's a good question. Kinda like the question about powdercoating lug nuts.

Did you buy a new accerator pedal assembly as well or are you doing the dead pedal mod for the accelerator???

Richard

Originally Posted by goaljnky
I have a set of S type pedals coming. While sitting here waiting, a thought popped into my head:

How easy, or hard would it be to paint them body color? Would it last? Would you clear coat them? Would it be to slippery? Does the metal part separate from the rubber easy?

What does everyone think? I don't suppose someone already done this and has pictures?

Old 08-04-2005, 12:11 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Hmm, looks like I will have to call the dealer to see if they have some touch up paint. Already have an aribrush and a compressor. Could be an interesting and a unique mod.

Old 08-04-2005, 12:54 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
Hey Jerry,
The rubber and metal are easily separated. The rubber is just an insert behind the "grill" of the metal pedal. I think it'd look pretty cool, and I don't think it would make them slippery considering that you step on the rubber not the metal.

As far as longevity, that's a good question. Kinda like the question about powdercoating lug nuts.

Did you buy a new accerator pedal assembly as well or are you doing the dead pedal mod for the accelerator???

Richard
Hey Richard,

I bought the whole thing. Now that I've given it some thought, I just don't think the paint would last. Gut instinct.

P.S. The Willow school in October sounds great. Too bad we can't go. But maybe we'll catch the next one, or the one after that. I am so jealous.

Old 08-04-2005, 01:00 PM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The rubber stands up proud of the metal cover and only the edges would be exposed to wear. Accelerator pedal no problem, dead pedal no problem, clutch and brake pedals would see wear on the outside edges.

IMHO