Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Retrofit OEM fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 01:30 PM
Lorkin
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Retrofit OEM fog lights

I am looking into adding the OEM fog lights to my MC. Has anyone ever atempted this? Also I am wondering about other options besides the OEM lights. I want to mount them in the bumper cover where the OEM lights would be. Any input would be great. Thank you

Old 03-20-2005, 04:15 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
There's a retrofit kit available, you can do the hardware installation yourself although it's not an easy job... But you'll need to go to the dealer to get the toggle switch programmed...

Old 03-21-2005, 05:49 AM
Jen
6th Gear
I had the dealer do this on an O3 MC. It was not an inexpensive proposition. I know a couple people who did it themselves, but it was very invovled and not for my skill level.

Part number 1 63 17 0 391 814 Fog Lamp Kit. This kit did the front retrofit and the rear activation for me.

Kit cost $237.50

Last edited by Jen; 03-21-2005 at 05:50 AM. Reason: added part number
Old 03-21-2005, 06:00 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IMO, the factory fog lights don't do anything for me other than give me a fun glowing toggle switch and illuminate a very small area directly in front of the bumper.

If you do not have extra rally lights and like the look of them, you'd be better off going with aftermarket rally lights. You could get foglight versions instead of driving lights and have some really USEFUL fog lights. . .

Old 03-21-2005, 06:44 AM
E1Designs
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by YuccaPatrol
IMO, the factory fog lights don't do anything for me other than give me a fun glowing toggle switch and illuminate a very small area directly in front of the bumper.

If you do not have extra rally lights and like the look of them, you'd be better off going with aftermarket rally lights. You could get foglight versions instead of driving lights and have some really USEFUL fog lights. . .
Are you saying they are not useful in the fog? Any light that adds visibility to your car, can be viewed as useful.

Old 03-21-2005, 06:57 AM
Jen
6th Gear
Originally Posted by YuccaPatrol

I find them very useful as a driver whose vision can lead her to have trouble seeing in bad weather in the dark. Which is why I decided I needed them. Bonus - the fun glowing toggle!

Old 03-21-2005, 10:16 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by E1Designs
Are you saying they are not useful in the fog? Any light that adds visibility to your car, can be viewed as useful.
Well, I can say that they are nowhere near as useful as I had hoped. They seem to do little else but light up the pavement 10 feet in front of the MINI.

For slicing through fog, I use PIAA Ion-Crystal (amber colored) bulbs in my high beams.

Although I do use my OEM fog lights, I would not go through the incredible expense of installing the factory kit in a MINI that does not have them.

You could either use the money toward rally lights or have some much better aftermarket fog lights installed in the stock location for less money.