Interior/Exterior Mirror Cap Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 06:35 PM
WhatV8
4th Gear
Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Mirror Cap Install

Well, I received some checkered mirror caps for Xmas and finally had some time to install them a couple weeks ago. I ended up turning a pretty simple job into a much more complicated and expensive one. Silly me, I followed the shop manual instructions without first consulting the vast knowledge bucket out on the internet...

The shop manual has you removing the mirror glass, then popping the mirror cap tabs from the inside of the housing. While a good method, it exposes the installer to 'popping' or breaking the mirror glass as you try and pry from behind to remove. Yes, I popped my passenger mirror glass, ugghhh!! That is where the 'expensive' comes in, since that damn glass is ~$100...ouch!

Following multiple folks out there, I could have slipped my trim removal tool into the gap between the cap and housing and zipped it right off. Just search YouTube and you will see what I mean...much easier!

The big question with our F54's is how do we accommodate the logo projector under the driver's mirror. Turns out, quite easily (see pics below). Turns out the checkered pattern is some form of applique or sleeve placed over a stock mirror cap, which has the cutout in it. All you need to do is cut out the applique over the hole and voila!! I took a Dremel bit and plunged through the applique and then hand trimmed it out with an Exacto knife. Took me maybe 5 minutes to complete, then just snap it in place. So far the mirror caps have been quite a conversation piece, since they actually stand out more than I expected. Very happy with the minor mod.

• First pic is the inside of the driver's OEM mirror cap showing the projector hole.
  • Second pic is the inside of the driver's checkered mirror cap...same hole in the base housing.
  • Third pic shows the outer applique cut out from the inside.
  • Fourth pic shows the outer applique cut out from the outside.
  • Fifth pic shows the driver's mirror cap installed with the cutout.
  • Sixth pic shows the new caps installed.
  • Seventh pic shows the passenger side closer.

Attached Thumbnails Mirror Cap Install-mirror-caps-install_01.jpg   Mirror Cap Install-mirror-caps-install_02.jpg   Mirror Cap Install-mirror-caps-install_03.jpg   Mirror Cap Install-mirror-caps-install_04.jpg   Mirror Cap Install-mirror-caps-install_05.jpg  

Mirror Cap Install-mirror-caps-install_06.jpg   Mirror Cap Install-mirror-caps-install_07.jpg  
Old 08-09-2018, 06:26 PM
Mayfair
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for doing the write up. It really helped me make the hole in the right place. I got black/gold mirror caps for my Clubman All4 S