Interior/Exterior Worried about window tint

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 12:39 PM
Sean Wiese
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Worried about window tint

Really would like to get my windows tinted, but I am worried they may end up scratched/cut and peel off based on the window streaks I already see on the inside of the window.
Mainly on the front windows, but looks like the rollers really leave a mark, and that would damage the tint film.

Thanks!

Old 09-24-2017, 03:11 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
hmmmm, not sure what the issue/concern is .... but based on my last purchase experience:

first, in most states (all?) you can not apply standard tint to the front glass, PERIOD. There are special front glass coatings you can apply for UV protection but these are different from standard side/rear tint materials and more $$.

A GOOD install will not leave marks or peel. My last came with a 'lifetime' warranty against just such things.

IMO, when you see a poor, bubbled, peeling job on the street ... it was a DIY or flea market parking lot special .....

(some details:

Today, a GOOD installer has a computer driven system that cuts the sheets to shape so they apply easily. In olden days they just laid a big hunk on the glass and started trimming.

My gur'tee was only good so long as I applied "legal" tints. I could go darker if I wanted but then no warranty.

I installed LLUMAR brand .... they have three 'grades' of film.)

Old 09-25-2017, 12:01 PM
Sean Wiese
1st Gear
Oh sry, to clarify this is about the front drive and passenger windows, and the marks look like they are from the guides in the door that are leaving streaks (lube?) on the currently untinted window.

My concern is that there is enough pressure in that line, that once I have film on there, it will mark it up and possibly rip into the film there.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:03 PM
mikey_t
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
My 2011 has had tint on the side windows since new. Still haven't marked them and the car has about 130,000 kms on it. Find a tint vendor who comes HIGHLY recommended and use good quality tint material.

The following users liked this post:
Sean Wiese (10-11-2017)
Old 10-11-2017, 10:26 AM
Sean Wiese
1st Gear
Thanks! I will be shopping around for quotes here soon.

Whats reasonable? $200 250 300 ?

Old 10-16-2017, 09:11 AM
arubadave
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm having mine done tomorrow. Ceramic window tint, 35% light passing (legal here in Georgia), lifetime warranty, at a highly recommended place. $260.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:01 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Ceramic is for sure the way to go.

$260 seems cheap. I would ask the brand of film to make sure it is quality like 3M. Also I'm guessing that doesn't include the front windshield, look into that as I've got clear ceramic on mine and it works great.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more