Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior 3M wrap or plasti-dip for exterior chrome trim

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 07:17 PM
Steven Robinson
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3M wrap or plasti-dip for exterior chrome trim

So I want to change all of the chrome trim on my MINI to a glossy or piano black but, I'm unsure which route I want to take. I am planning on doing this myself because it would be more fun than paying someone else.

I have never used plasti-dip or any type of wrap before so I expect will make some mistakes.

The thing that really has me torn between the two products is I assume the plasti-dip will be a much easier application process than the 3M wrap but, will not give me the glossy effect I'm looking for (I know there is glossier you can buy for plasti-dip but I haven't really seen what it looks like in person) while on the other hand the 3M will give me the effect I'm looking for but, as a complete novice I will make mistakes.

Here is two pictures of my MINI to give you a idea on how much chrome there is.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:27 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
I blackened my chrome with plastidip and found it to be a very easy and economical application. Make sure the can is warmed up for an even spray. Putting it in the sun helps. I used plastidip Glossifier to put a sheen/shine on the otherwise flat black finish of plastidip by itself. It will take several coats to get the shine you want. I followed the instructions-they work. Youtube was helpful. Good Luck.

Old 07-07-2017, 04:18 PM
stelvio
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also just got my set of chrome trims attached to a MC.
I'm going the wrapping route. Plastidip will never look properly up close and I've really come to dislike plastidip'd parts/pieces.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:57 AM
ioannes79
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a bit late, but I've wrapped my roof with Vivid Vinyls black holographic chrome, and have used Avery's gloss black on the interior. I've also plastidipped the beltline. I prefer the gloss vinyl over the glossified plastidip. Avery's vinyl is plyable enough to tear it, so getting it to confirm is much easier than the roof was with the thicker wrap. I'll probably wrap the beltline when. I have one of my five different things done with Cooper at the moment. Just be sure to have a heat gun and patience.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:23 PM
Vegasguy
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Ive wrapped and plastidipped alot of parts for mustang guys and i can tell you, you will be happier with wrap.

BUT one thing no one ever tells you is, have a friend to help you so you can “pre-stretch” the wrap. All those crappy looking wraps that seem to have shrunk or torn and show the under neath are because they tried stretching the material over the part instead of “shrinking it onto the part”.

Google it and look for youtube videos of actual professionals doing preshrinking and it will make total sense.