Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Install a Steering Wheel without Paddles on an Auto Currently with Paddles?...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 05:55 PM
Terry F..
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Install a Steering Wheel without Paddles on an Auto Currently with Paddles?...

Hello,

I have a considerably better looking stock steering wheel that I'd like to install on my R55. However, it is not set up to paddle-shift. Now the loss of this doesn't concern me but will the electronics allow this? Throw a code? Work-arounds? Any advice is appreciated.

Best,
Terry

Old 05-25-2017, 06:52 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
It should work fine

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 05-25-2017, 08:45 PM
Terry F..
Neutral
That is great news. I didn't know the auto and the manual base steering wheel modules were different. Being new to this, I erroneously expected the shifters were going to be a transferrable plate, not integrated into the base wheel. Once I figured that out, I wasn't sure if Mini software would play nice with my new wheel. The paddles are redundant and not even needed in D mode so I would hope so.

Another week or so until it gets swapped. Will report back.
Thanks,
Terry

Old 07-07-2017, 11:43 AM
Alpha Motoring
6th Gear
Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
You will need to buy the manual harness, if you plug it in with the paddle shifter harness it won't work.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:40 PM
Terry F.
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It won't work meaning.... The audio and cruise won't work? Or a CEL?

Also, would you know the length of the harness?

Does it attach (both ends) at the wheel or does one end snake into the steering column some distance?

Thank you,
Terry

Old 08-04-2017, 11:09 AM
godskid
2nd Gear
I have the automatic with steptronic -- but do NOT have the paddles on my steering wheel. Maybe Terry's steering wheel would work for me? What does it take to add paddles if the rest of the steptronic is there? That's the actual question I've been searching today.

Deb

Old 08-09-2017, 12:59 PM
pocari
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's a few guides on the forum here that will show you how to install paddle shifters on a non-paddle/manual steering wheel. I purchased a JCW Alcantara wheel and drilled holes on them to add my paddle shifters. The mounting holes are actually present but it's inside the leather. Just need to trim some of the leather off before you're able to screw in the paddles. Hope that helps