Interior/Exterior Joey mod: all black or leave the ring chrome?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 04:26 PM
HasAnMTBProblem
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Joey mod: all black or leave the ring chrome?

I have a white/white roof R60 with blacked out tail lights, flat black head/tail light rings, will be blacking the belt line, door handles and maybe the emblems too. Going to do the Joey Mod, but can't decide if I should do all black buckets, or leave the ring around the projector chrome. I want to dechrome the entire car, but am thinking all black headlight buckets will cause them to disappear complete due to the white/black contrast.

Thoughts? Example pics?

Old 04-10-2017, 05:03 AM
HasAnMTBProblem
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I was one click away from buying a spray can of Light White, primer, clear, but I just don't think it would look good to do the rings. Also thought about gunmetal, but I'm worried it wouldn't look right with the all black everything I'm doing. I'm probably overthinking it, though.

One thing I thought of last night is to scuff it up like brushed metal, mask it off, and spray a gloss clear over it before I do the flat black for the rest of it. That way I still get a contrast but it doesn't look like chrome.

Old 04-11-2017, 03:05 AM
N2MINI
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Here is mine from way back. If you weren't going to de-chrome the car you could just leave it chrome of course and it would look fine, but if the plan is to de-chrome you need to do the same to the headlight ring in my opinion.. but at the end of the day it's your car, as long as your happy, only thing that matters...

Attached Thumbnails Joey mod: all black or leave the ring chrome?-frontal.jpg   Joey mod: all black or leave the ring chrome?-joey-mod.jpg