Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Tire Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 10:25 AM
InnocentiMini
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tire Suggestions?

I know this topic has been discussed in past threads... however tires change over time. My 06 Cooper S has been eating up tires each year. It's still on runflats. I'm running the 205/45/r17 ContiPro Contacts and haven't had luck with them lasting over a year - yes everything is balanced, its probably the way I drive. Any suggestions? If I run non-runflats what would you suggest?

Old 02-15-2017, 10:39 AM
JeffM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
align

Balance isn't the main contributor to tire wear - alignment is. Get the car aligned when you put on your next set of tires and they will last far longer.
However, I agree that the Conti runflats are not the best on the market anymore. I'm still using runflats on my '04 Cooper S, and have switched to the Bridgestone Driveguard runflat and I like them. Not a super sporty tire, but quieter and last longer than the Contis that I used to run.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:45 AM
InnocentiMini
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks, I'm not looking for people to critique my car, just looking for tire suggestions. Appreciate the advice!

Old 02-15-2017, 11:01 AM
Rich Rodichok
3rd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
+1 on the Bridgestone Driveguards if you're staying with RFs. I put mine on in October. So far so good. And much quieter that the stock tires (don't remember what they were). Indy tire ship botched the alignment pretty badly. I had to have the MINI dealer fix it. Make sure whoever changes your tires knows what they are doing if you have them do an alignment.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:16 PM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
This thread probably will be moved to the "Tires, Wheels, & Brakes" subforum, but to answer your question, I suggest the non run-flat Continental ExtremeContact DWS06, which I run on my '04 R53. Love 'em!

I'd also echo the suggestion to keep your alignment sorted and to stay on top of regular tire rotations.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:58 PM
DaGriz
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I switched from RF to Michelin Sports. Day in night difference. Cooper R52 used to be fun to drive not so much enjoyable with the RFs. Now it fun and far more enjoyable. Night and day difference. I only regret not having switched sooner.

Old 02-15-2017, 01:18 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 200 Likes on 147 Posts
Concur on the proper alignment but how many miles per year do you drive? Are you an overly-aggressive driver? Are you keeping your tire pressures up? Do you want an all-season tire or more performance oriented? Just call the Tire Rack and listen to what they have to say.