Interior/Exterior How to paint plastic parts? Help from you mod gurus, please.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 10:54 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to paint plastic parts? Help from you mod gurus, please.

I found that I can buy just the snap in brake duct inlets for about $20 each. They apparently come in a black gloss (I should be getting them next week so am not sure yet).
I want to paint them another color. What is the suggested method? I was thinking Krylon paint of some sort. Do I need to do anything to prep the existing finish first? Or is there an automotive paint I would be better using?
My plan is to keep the existing ones just in case I really mess this up, which is why I am experimenting on a back up set .

Annette

Old 05-21-2015, 11:06 AM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't know the answer but from everything I've read I would say at least look into plasti-dip before you make a final decision on what method you want to use. I've only read good things about it. If you don't like it, peel it off. If you goofed putting it on, peel it off and do it over. If you want to change colors, peel it off and spray.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:10 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
The plasti-dip is certainly the best method if you screw it up in the process. Otherwise I'd take a very fine sandpaper to the plastic and scuff it up, then use the Krylon or Rustoleum plastic paint. Go look at the directions for those paints on the websites of those companies.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:12 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Guess I should have been more clear, just realized I left out significant info. I want the vents to end up red or orange (haven't finalized color choice yet)preferably gloss.
I wonder if I could get them wrapped as another option.

Annette

Old 05-22-2015, 11:56 AM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
there's so much information online that will probably be more helpful than me, but generally speaking, you should prep up by sanding down the current finish. you want to do that because the paint will need it to grab onto. you'll also probably want to primer the inlets before putting your base coat. 2-3 coats of light primer as well as your base coat. you also need to sand down/grip your base coat so that the clear can grip it. and then finally you want to sand down the clear starting from 2-300 grit up to 1200/2000-3000. once that is done, polish and your down.

any other way and it's going to look like a$$, and we don't want that.

but please, look it up online and you'll find a ton more information than what i just gave you.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:22 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Thanks so much. I'm hoping they come in unfinished but have a feeling that's not the case.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:04 AM
blue al
4th Gear
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Has any one tried painting graphic vinyl
If the top paint sticks it might save me a lot of time priming and sanding
As I can get hold of sign vinyl for next to nothing, might be a quick fix