Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Looking for a "how to"

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 05:44 PM
TwOMINIs
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking for a "how to"

I'm looking for a specific web page, not found by searching here, on a "how to paint the brake calipers W/O disassembly" I think it was on someone's personal web page and it wasn't this http://www.tech-esq.com/mini/Caliper...(pictures).doc

Any help?

Thanks

Old 07-12-2004, 06:23 PM
chrisfb1
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
look for a how to on take off brake caliper.

i dont think you will need a how to on painting stuff.

i did it without any instructions.
take wheel off and start painting.

cautions! paint quick, once the paint start hardening stop! it will not have a smooth can shine finishing if you keep going.

try to lift the whole car if you can. other wise make sure you have tough tools, dont use MINI jack. they broke easily in long run.

I suggest you take off the caliper if you can, better finishing too.

Good luck

Old 07-12-2004, 07:41 PM
Privateer
1st Gear
TwoMINIS, try this site it is off of www.motoringfile.com, it is a good site to look for how to's. HERE IT IS: http://www.tech-esq.com/mini/Caliper...(pictures).doc

Old 07-13-2004, 04:54 AM
pocketrocketowner
Banned
I got the brush on kind of caliper paint from Eastwood Co. (www.eastwood.com)

I just crawled under and started painting. You get a LOT of paint for our calipers so set aside a good two or three hours and just keep applying light coats. I masked around the bables and hoses. I would show you a pic but i am a moron when it comes to picture posting and picture loading and even picture taking......

Old 07-13-2004, 05:20 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
TwOMINIs,

Try this-
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...+brake+caliper

I just painted my calipers this weekend. Started about 4pm when it was cool. Finished in about 4+ hours.
Put the car up on four jackstands with the help of a floor jack.
Cleaned off the brake dust. I earlier used wheel cleaner spray, then rinsed off. Any rust I got off with naval jelly and rinsed. Let dry or towel off.
Lightly sand the rust with 200 and 400 grit sand paper. Wipe clean.
I had used a hand sander earlier to smooth out the bevels and ridges on the calipers front and rear months ago.

I used Duplicolor red in a brake caliper paint kit from Walmart about $14.95
Came with some tape, a disposable brush, brake cleaner spray can and a small pint of red ceramic heat tolerant paint.

I didn't mask anything just removed the wires from each brake with a pliers, then sanded the wires to clean them of brake dust/dirt.

I could paint each caliper one coat in about 15 minutes and did each with three coats. By the end it looked good then I gave it about 2-3 hours to dry before I put the wires back on with a pliers. First the top end the the bottom into the hole and the pliers to work on the bottom edge of the clip so that I scraped the paint the least I could. Still some scratches occurred and I had to do a little touchup but it was OK. Can't drive on them for 24 hours.

Looks pretty good. I waited until I had just changed brake pads and had the rotors machined. While I had the wheels off I washed & waxed the rims and cleaned up the tires.

Old 07-14-2004, 07:32 AM
TwOMINIs
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the help. Did the job yesterday and very pleased with the results. I only had a floor jack and one jack stand so I had to do one side of the car at a time.

I followed someone's suggestion to mix only half of the paint with 1/2 the "reactor" so I wouldn't have to worry about the paint hardening too early since I was doing one side at a time.

*** Suggestion, don't mix in a plastic cup....the paint and "reactor" ate right through the plastic cup in a short period of time and not only made a huge mess, but also made for an interesting time trying to salvage paint to work with.

Now I just need new wheels that show off my work a little better :smile:

click pic for better view :D
His, Chile RED over, Madness intake, Magnaflow exhaust, Helix 15% Pulley & RDR Swaybar
Hers, Electric Blue / Union Jack on top and BONE Stock