Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Passenger Seat Quick Release?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 06:10 PM
jown.iv
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Passenger Seat Quick Release?

Having not searched all too hard for other threads on this topic... as well as not having looked up a "how to remove r53 passenger seat"... I figured I'd throw it out there.

Are there any sort of DIY or mass production kits, or even any ideas anyone has had and wants to share, regarding somewhat of a "quick release" for the passenger seat?

My idea is that, a lot of times, I am the only one in the vehicle, and I do like to save weight where possible (already removed the rear seats, wiper/wiper motor etc... added light wheels and tires etc.) On the other hand, there are a handful of times that I would need to have it in for passengers.

Now, obviously safety while the seat IS installed would be top priority, so, no ghetto rigging can be involved.

Further questions:

-Will removing the seat trigger any sort of dash lights?
-How much does a standard front, heated, leather seat weigh?
-What is involved in removing the seat? with or w/o heater element?
-And lastly as stated, has anyone come across any sort of quick release/attach system that would speed the process up, if at all, while still maintaining a safe connection to the car with a passenger on board?

Old 02-26-2014, 12:10 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Four bolts and one or more connectors would be involved, but with the seat out you would trigger an airbag light. You might be able to fool it with a resistor, but know that you need to go to the dealer to reset the light.
IMO not really worth the weight loss.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:35 AM
jown.iv
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
Four bolts and one or more connectors would be involved, but with the seat out you would trigger an airbag light. You might be able to fool it with a resistor, but know that you need to go to the dealer to reset the light.
IMO not really worth the weight loss.
thanks for the info.