North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Interior/Exterior (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/interior-exterior-193/)
-   -   Interior/Exterior Plasti Dipped my wheels! (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/interior-exterior/229197-plasti-dipped-my-wheels.html)

Mr.Spahkol 04-27-2012 10:14 PM

Plasti Dipped my wheels!

3 Attachment(s)
Just showing off how my new matte black wheels look to give those considering it an idea of how it looks! It took a few hours, but I'm very happy with the result. I opted for keeping my wheels on and masking my calipers and discs with a half-cut kitchen trash bag. I did five coats on each wheel, waiting about ten minutes in between each coat. I touched it up the next day after noticing some spots I missed. *Don't forget to roll back a bit to view your wheels from the opposite angle to make sure you didn't miss anything!*

I love the look, and since my Mini was used, there were plenty of marks and curb bites on the wheel that the plasti dip mostly sufficiently filled in. Plus the black hides the awful brake dust! Yay!

Here's with just one done, to show the contrast.
Attachment 196952

Here's two finished.
Attachment 196953

And a close-up.
Attachment 196954

Enjoy!

Porthos 04-27-2012 10:22 PM

There was a whole thread about this. Hopefully it lasts.

oldglamrocker 04-28-2012 08:11 AM

They look great! Question for a newbie, does the Plasti dip last long or is it something that needs to be reapplied often?

mamut 04-28-2012 08:36 AM

It's pretty durable unless you scratch it or curb it.

Mr.Spahkol 04-28-2012 09:17 AM

Yeah it's by no means a permanent solution, but I wasn't sure I was going to like it black, so it's perfect for now. Also, when I removed plasti dip from the emblem in the middle of the caps, it took more effort than I expected to remove it, so that was encouraging.

miniman2012 04-28-2012 10:34 AM

mamut, how do you like your megan coilovers? how is the ride quality vs. stock suspension?

Baker555 04-28-2012 10:51 AM

Looks great, I'm considering doing this to my car as well. How many coats did it take?

Mr.Spahkol 04-28-2012 10:55 AM

I went with five coats per wheel (excluding the extra touch-up coat I did later) just to be safe. I bought the wheels kit from dipyourcar.com if you're interested.

Baker555 04-28-2012 10:58 AM

Kathy1946 04-28-2012 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mr.Spahkol (Post 3501732)
I went with five coats per wheel (excluding the extra touch-up coat I did later) just to be safe. I bought the wheels kit from dipyourcar.com if you're interested.

I really like what you've done. :thumbsup:

Mr.Spahkol 04-28-2012 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Kathy1946 (Post 3501740)
I really like what you've done. :thumbsup:

Thanks! I'm happy with the result as well :)

GooGoomuc 04-28-2012 01:57 PM

Did you paint inside the rim as well?

Were you able to spray the inside rim with dip ? I would like to leave the tires on the mini when I dip, but I just want to make sure I can dip the inside rim too. I have S lite rims and want to get inside the rim.

Your rims look great!

Mr.Spahkol 04-28-2012 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by GooGoomuc (Post 3501818)
Were you able to spray the inside rim with dip ? I would like to leave the tires on the mini when I dip, but I just want to make sure I can dip the inside rim too. I have S lite rims and want to get inside the rim.

Your rims look great!

Thanks! Its certainly doable, but a little more difficult I would imagine. You'd probably have to spray the bottom inside and roll the car back to get the under-inside haha. I'd say the difficulty would depend on the wheel and how easily accessible the inside is. Taking the wheels off, you'd probably have no problem though.

GooGoomuc 04-28-2012 02:20 PM

Yea, I'm just lazy. Looks like I will have to remove the tires from the mini.Now I have to buy a floor jack. Thanks man.

Mr.Spahkol 04-28-2012 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by GooGoomuc (Post 3501830)
Yea, I'm just lazy. Looks like I will have to remove the tires from the mini.Now I have to buy a floor jack. Thanks man.

No worries! I think it's really doable without removing them. You may just have to try it out and see how it goes.

jmonga 05-16-2012 10:26 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I recently discovered plasti-dip and it has become my new best friend! This is my car during and after plasti-dip :) It took about 3 Cans to do the entire car (wheels, grille, front and rear light trim)

Attachment 196922
Attachment 196923
Attachment 196924
Attachment 196925

what do you guys think?

Mr.Spahkol 05-16-2012 10:44 PM

It's great isn't it? I've actually been trying to figure out what else I could 'dip that I'd like better than it is already haha. Glad you're enjoying it too, yours looks great.

Minian 05-16-2012 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.Spahkol (Post 3501522)

Holly Schit!! That's Plasti? Great Job!

Mr.Spahkol 05-16-2012 11:17 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Yeah, thanks! It came out so well that my neighbor/ boss had me do his Prius also haha
Attachment 196919
Attachment 196920
Attachment 196921

Porthos 05-17-2012 08:27 AM

Just showing off how my new matte black wheels look to give those considering it an idea of how it looks! It took a few hours, but I'm very happy with the result. I opted for keeping my wheels on and masking my calipers and discs with a half-cut kitchen trash bag. I did five coats on each wheel, waiting about ten minutes in between each coat. I touched it up the next day after noticing some spots I missed. *Don't forget to roll back a bit to view your wheels from the opposite angle to make sure you didn't miss anything!*

I love the look, and since my Mini was used, there were plenty of marks and curb bites on the wheel that the plasti dip mostly sufficiently filled in. Plus the black hides the awful brake dust! Yay!

https://i.imgur.com/mkq2H.jpg

Here's two finished.
https://i.imgur.com/wLORM.jpg

And a close-up.
https://i.imgur.com/1yklS.jpg

Enjoy!

Turn out great hopefully it holds well. But seriously that is a fail on the wwheel weight being on the outside.

Mr.Spahkol 05-17-2012 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Porthos (Post 3513414)
Turn out great hopefully it holds well. But seriously that is a fail on the wwheel weight being on the outside.

Yeah a bit odd isn't it?

SpeedRacer0212 05-17-2012 08:35 AM

https://i.imgur.com/mkq2H.jpg

Here's two finished.
https://i.imgur.com/wLORM.jpg

And a close-up.
https://i.imgur.com/1yklS.jpg

Enjoy!

Already got an issue for you. When its time to get new tires, the tech will need to remove the wheel weight which you have covered with dip. When removing this you will tear the dip and need to redo each wheel entirely. That's a deal breaker. :nod:

Should just purchase wheel paint and be done with it or get the wheel weights put on the inside of the wheel.

Mr.Spahkol 05-17-2012 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by SpeedRacer0212 (Post 3513426)
Already got an issue for you. When its time to get new tires, the tech will need to remove the wheel weight which you have covered with dip. When removing this you will tear the dip and need to redo each wheel entirely. That's a deal breaker. :nod:

Should just purchase wheel paint and be done with it or get the wheel weights put on the inside of the wheel.

Well, you're partly correct. Now that I've dipped them and like it, I very well may get them powder coated and done with. However, removing that weight won't actually tear the surrounding plasti dip because it's not connected to it. Just like the overspray on the tires and the mini logo, there's enough space in between so it would come separated cleanly.
BUT, I don't have much confidence that a tech won't somehow lift it while working on it, but that fine with me really.

jmonga 05-17-2012 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by SpeedRacer0212 (Post 3513426)

what i did to prevent that issue is took a deck of cards and put them around the lip to create a bowl. No overspray onto the tires at all :wink:

Mr.Spahkol 05-17-2012 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by jmonga (Post 3513443)
what i did to prevent that issue is took a deck of cards and put them around the lip to create a bowl. No overspray onto the tires at all :wink:

Yeah that's true, you can totally do that. If you would have sprayed on the tires though, you would have seen that it almost effortlessly peels right off the tires. Worked for me. Plus, it's pretty fun to peel it off haha