Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Plasti Dipped my wheels!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 10:14 PM
Mr.Spahkol
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plasti Dipped my wheels!

Just showing off how my new matte black wheels look to give those considering it an idea of how it looks! It took a few hours, but I'm very happy with the result. I opted for keeping my wheels on and masking my calipers and discs with a half-cut kitchen trash bag. I did five coats on each wheel, waiting about ten minutes in between each coat. I touched it up the next day after noticing some spots I missed. *Don't forget to roll back a bit to view your wheels from the opposite angle to make sure you didn't miss anything!*

I love the look, and since my Mini was used, there were plenty of marks and curb bites on the wheel that the plasti dip mostly sufficiently filled in. Plus the black hides the awful brake dust! Yay!

Here's with just one done, to show the contrast.
Plasti Dipped my wheels!-mkq2h.jpg

Here's two finished.
Plasti Dipped my wheels!-wlorm.jpg

And a close-up.
Plasti Dipped my wheels!-1ykls.jpg

Enjoy!

Old 04-27-2012, 10:22 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
There was a whole thread about this. Hopefully it lasts.

Last edited by Porthos; 05-17-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:11 AM
oldglamrocker
1st Gear
They look great! Question for a newbie, does the Plasti dip last long or is it something that needs to be reapplied often?

Old 04-28-2012, 08:36 AM
mamut
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's pretty durable unless you scratch it or curb it.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:17 AM
Mr.Spahkol
1st Gear
Yeah it's by no means a permanent solution, but I wasn't sure I was going to like it black, so it's perfect for now. Also, when I removed plasti dip from the emblem in the middle of the caps, it took more effort than I expected to remove it, so that was encouraging.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:34 AM
miniman2012
Neutral
mamut, how do you like your megan coilovers? how is the ride quality vs. stock suspension?

Old 04-28-2012, 10:51 AM
Baker555
3rd Gear
Looks great, I'm considering doing this to my car as well. How many coats did it take?

Old 04-28-2012, 10:55 AM
Mr.Spahkol
1st Gear
I went with five coats per wheel (excluding the extra touch-up coat I did later) just to be safe. I bought the wheels kit from dipyourcar.com if you're interested.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:58 AM
Baker555
3rd Gear
Thanks .

Old 04-28-2012, 11:05 AM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Mr.Spahkol
I went with five coats per wheel (excluding the extra touch-up coat I did later) just to be safe. I bought the wheels kit from dipyourcar.com if you're interested.
I really like what you've done.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:54 PM
Mr.Spahkol
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Kathy1946
I really like what you've done.
Thanks! I'm happy with the result as well

Old 04-28-2012, 01:57 PM
GooGoomuc
1st Gear
Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you paint inside the rim as well?

Were you able to spray the inside rim with dip ? I would like to leave the tires on the mini when I dip, but I just want to make sure I can dip the inside rim too. I have S lite rims and want to get inside the rim.

Your rims look great!

Old 04-28-2012, 02:02 PM
Mr.Spahkol
1st Gear
Originally Posted by GooGoomuc
Were you able to spray the inside rim with dip ? I would like to leave the tires on the mini when I dip, but I just want to make sure I can dip the inside rim too. I have S lite rims and want to get inside the rim.

Your rims look great!
Thanks! Its certainly doable, but a little more difficult I would imagine. You'd probably have to spray the bottom inside and roll the car back to get the under-inside haha. I'd say the difficulty would depend on the wheel and how easily accessible the inside is. Taking the wheels off, you'd probably have no problem though.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:20 PM
GooGoomuc
1st Gear
Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea, I'm just lazy. Looks like I will have to remove the tires from the mini.Now I have to buy a floor jack. Thanks man.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:54 PM
Mr.Spahkol
1st Gear
Originally Posted by GooGoomuc
Yea, I'm just lazy. Looks like I will have to remove the tires from the mini.Now I have to buy a floor jack. Thanks man.
No worries! I think it's really doable without removing them. You may just have to try it out and see how it goes.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:26 PM
jmonga
Neutral
I recently discovered plasti-dip and it has become my new best friend! This is my car during and after plasti-dip It took about 3 Cans to do the entire car (wheels, grille, front and rear light trim)

Name:  ocCS5.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  617.2 KB
Plasti Dipped my wheels!-uhjmi.jpg
Name:  Wmvwn.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  612.2 KB
Name:  rE1yK.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  715.6 KB

what do you guys think?

Old 05-16-2012, 10:44 PM
Mr.Spahkol
1st Gear
It's great isn't it? I've actually been trying to figure out what else I could 'dip that I'd like better than it is already haha. Glad you're enjoying it too, yours looks great.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:04 PM
Minian
5th Gear

Enjoy!
Holly Schit!! That's Plasti? Great Job!

Old 05-16-2012, 11:17 PM
Mr.Spahkol
1st Gear
Yeah, thanks! It came out so well that my neighbor/ boss had me do his Prius also haha
Plasti Dipped my wheels!-2pmaj.jpg
Plasti Dipped my wheels!-q8xxu.jpg
Plasti Dipped my wheels!-aiofi.jpg

Old 05-17-2012, 08:27 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Just showing off how my new matte black wheels look to give those considering it an idea of how it looks! It took a few hours, but I'm very happy with the result. I opted for keeping my wheels on and masking my calipers and discs with a half-cut kitchen trash bag. I did five coats on each wheel, waiting about ten minutes in between each coat. I touched it up the next day after noticing some spots I missed. *Don't forget to roll back a bit to view your wheels from the opposite angle to make sure you didn't miss anything!*

I love the look, and since my Mini was used, there were plenty of marks and curb bites on the wheel that the plasti dip mostly sufficiently filled in. Plus the black hides the awful brake dust! Yay!

Here's two finished.

And a close-up.

Enjoy!
Turn out great hopefully it holds well. But seriously that is a fail on the wwheel weight being on the outside.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:30 AM
Mr.Spahkol
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
Turn out great hopefully it holds well. But seriously that is a fail on the wwheel weight being on the outside.
Yeah a bit odd isn't it?

Old 05-17-2012, 08:35 AM
SpeedRacer0212
4th Gear

Here's two finished.

And a close-up.

Enjoy!

Already got an issue for you. When its time to get new tires, the tech will need to remove the wheel weight which you have covered with dip. When removing this you will tear the dip and need to redo each wheel entirely. That's a deal breaker.

Should just purchase wheel paint and be done with it or get the wheel weights put on the inside of the wheel.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:41 AM
Mr.Spahkol
1st Gear
Originally Posted by SpeedRacer0212
Already got an issue for you. When its time to get new tires, the tech will need to remove the wheel weight which you have covered with dip. When removing this you will tear the dip and need to redo each wheel entirely. That's a deal breaker.

Should just purchase wheel paint and be done with it or get the wheel weights put on the inside of the wheel.
Well, you're partly correct. Now that I've dipped them and like it, I very well may get them powder coated and done with. However, removing that weight won't actually tear the surrounding plasti dip because it's not connected to it. Just like the overspray on the tires and the mini logo, there's enough space in between so it would come separated cleanly.
BUT, I don't have much confidence that a tech won't somehow lift it while working on it, but that fine with me really.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:02 AM
jmonga
Neutral
Originally Posted by SpeedRacer0212

what i did to prevent that issue is took a deck of cards and put them around the lip to create a bowl. No overspray onto the tires at all

Old 05-17-2012, 09:31 AM
Mr.Spahkol
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jmonga
what i did to prevent that issue is took a deck of cards and put them around the lip to create a bowl. No overspray onto the tires at all
Yeah that's true, you can totally do that. If you would have sprayed on the tires though, you would have seen that it almost effortlessly peels right off the tires. Worked for me. Plus, it's pretty fun to peel it off haha

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Plasti Dipped my wheels!