Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Where to get paint?

Old 08-22-2010, 05:13 AM
mrbean
5th Gear
Received 151 Likes on 116 Posts
Where to get paint?

So, I'm in the process of repairing door sill rust and was wondering if anyone can recommend a high quality spray paint that will match my factory black. Dealer only had the tiny bottles of touch-up. The dealer told me the factory paint is made by Glasurit. But searching online, I couldn't find anyone who sells it in pre-mixed colors.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:08 AM
less2
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Paint

Good day,
You might want to ask the stealer who they use for body repair. Then call that shop and ask real nice to order you some paint.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:56 AM
mrbean
5th Gear
Received 151 Likes on 116 Posts
Thanks for the idea.
I'm replacing the exterior handle on the rear hatch cause the license plate bulb holders have bit the dust (corroded out due to water leaking in). Of course, the new handle comes unpainted so I was going to have a local shop do it for me. This way I don't have to worry about mixing in flex agent and making the finish look good.
Maybe they'll sell me a quart each of paint and clear coat for my sills.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:01 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
all you need is the color code and then any good auto-paint supplier can match the color. How do you plan to apply it? Do you have access to a spray gun & compressor? If so look in the yellow pages under automotive paint and you'll find someone who supplies your local body shops. it might be Sherwin-Williams, PPG or Dupont but the color different doesn't exist - computers will match it. I use S-W but that's just because it is what I have the most experience with and I can find it locally.

But I'm guessing if you ask this you are not at this level....you don't plan to use your own guns (you COULD do this size job with an airbrush) and you prbably don't need that much paint but we'll come back to that

So, are you looking for rattle cans? If so, I've used these guys many times over the years for MINI, Mazda, Honda and more and always have gotten an excellent color match

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/spray_paint.asp

Note - if you've never used "real auto paint" before you should read up. What you'd be buying here is base coat .... the color component which must then be topcoated with clear coat to match the factory finish. You can get clear from them too and plastic adhesion helper if you think you must.

btw - b4 you get shocked: a quart of a metallic color would cost in most cases well well over a hundred dollars. Usually what you buy for a base/clear system if you want to go minimums is a pint of the color in its mixed state which will be reduced 1 to 1 to yield a quart of sprayable paint (but smart shoppers doing small jobs will only mix what they plan to use to minimize waste) IME main line auto suppliers minimum quantity is a pint. That pint of metalic has cost me up to nearly $125 if you want the good stuff... (bulk suppliers have different grades of paint they'll supply) After that you still need the clear.....

I use automotive touchup when the job is so small and known to be one time that buying a pint means I'll be leaving most of the pint on the shelf for years until I decide to trash it. {btw, many body shops will charge you for that full pint - plus the reducer - for your small job and then keep the paint for possible use down the road. Think they tell the next guy 'no charge for materials'?

Learned this the hard way when I was charged for a full pint plus reducers for respray of a classic bonnet. The 1 quart of mixed paint could have painted half the car or more. That's when I decided to learn how to shoot paint. Ain't adult education classes grand!

Old 08-24-2010, 02:46 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Old 08-26-2010, 07:56 PM
mechanic
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have used spray paint from http://www.touchuppaintonline.com to paint my replacement sideview mirror and the paint matched perfect. my mirror got knocked off when I took the car into the city for a day. never parking in a tight space again after that incident