Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior locking glovebox retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 01:12 PM
komet155
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, the chrome button mechanism appears to be exactly the same as the non-lockable kind except for the hole in the middle for the lock cylinder. Basically, this means that if MINI is willing to code a cylinder to match the key on an R56, it should work.

Originally Posted by trwxxa
Parts guy at my MINI dealership said they just go by the VIN. He was willing to try to order the parts for me. I'm still not sure if I want to drop the $70 unless I hear of someone doing the retrofit sucessfully.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:05 AM
komet155
4th Gear
UPDATE: I just found out that if you try to order a lock cylinder by submitting your hardtop vin# it would be rejected. So, that would mean this an impossible mod UNLESS you happen to find a newly salvaged Cabrio, Coupe or Roadster and can strip out the door lock cylinder, key and glovebox lock mechanism, while taking note of the VIN for future reference, then swapping in both lock cylinders.

This is assuming there's no chip in the key which would cause immobilizer issues when trying to start the car.

It's a real shame this mod is practically impossible to do, given how practical it would be to have a locking glovebox.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:14 PM
komet155
4th Gear
Just went to the MINIUSA site and sent them a note requesting clarification as to why we shouldn't be allowed to "you-ify" our MINIs with a glove-box lock. I obviously have a hard time letting this go!

see text below:
++++++++++++
Hello.
I have a 2013 Cooper Hardtop. I recently noticed that several of the other models (coupe, roadster, convertible) come equipped with a lockable glove-box. I would also like to have the added security of a lockable glove-box. I did some research and found I simply need to purchase 2 parts in order to retrofit this feature:
51167262826 lock cylinder AND
51162756623 lock mechanism with hole for cylinder.
Unfortunately, I've been told by the dealer that I cannot order the lock cylinder because my VIN is for a car which did not come with one. This is puzzling since there's no legal or safety reason I can think of why I should not be allowed to have a lockable glove-box on my vehicle even though it wasn't offered from the factory. How may I go about getting permission to purchase a lock cylinder coded to my car? The VIN is shown above. I eagerly await your reply.
Thanks!
Joe

Old 02-24-2014, 01:23 PM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Just a thought here. I can't see where the cost or the effort to change would be worth it. If someone can break into your locked car what good is having a lock on the glove box?

Old 02-24-2014, 01:55 PM
komet155
4th Gear
Oh don't worry, if I cant do this for less than $50 I'm not doing it.....but as far as what good it would be to have one, there have been many times with cars I've had in the past where I've locked stuff in the glove-box.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:23 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by komet155
Oh don't worry, if I cant do this for less than $50 I'm not doing it
Then I guess you're not doing it. Google those two part numbers. Total MSRP comes out to about $67 + shipping.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:29 PM
komet155
4th Gear
I can get both parts for a total of $47.81 (which is less than $50). It pays to look further than mere googling for competitive pricing.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:51 PM
komet155
4th Gear
Well, it's been almost 5 months and it took a few emails and phone calls back & forth to MINI USA but I was eventually given permission to order a lock cylinder.

The cylinder and lock button arrived today.

I can't wait to install them! It looks like there are a couple of hidden screws along the top of the kneebar piece I'll have to find and remove first.

Thank you Bill @ MINI USA and Sean at http://thebmwminipartstore.com/

Last edited by komet155; 07-14-2014 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:09 PM
komet155
4th Gear
Success! Time for a beer!

UPDATE:

Lock is installed and works correctly. It was a learning experience, removing the A-pillar trim and dashboard end piece (surrounding the vent) in order to expose the one screw on the far right. It was also a challenge clearing the far left screw from its' hole because the plastic lip on one of the center vents keeps it from coming all the way straight out. I didn't mind, I want to become more familiar with how this trim comes for future mod projects.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:19 PM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
UPDATE:

Lock is installed and works correctly. It was a learning experience, removing the A-pillar trim and dashboard end piece (surrounding the vent) in order to expose the one screw on the far right. It was also a challenge clearing the far left screw from its' hole because the plastic lip on one of the center vents keeps it from coming all the way straight out. I didn't mind, I want to become more familiar with how this trim comes for future mod projects.

so did they key the lock like your car ?

Old 07-16-2014, 01:27 PM
komet155
4th Gear
Yes, the MINI USA rep got authorization for me from corporate and so when I ordered my parts online from the MiniPartStore, I included a message with my order to contact the rep, Bill S @ MINI USA.
Sean, the guy at MiniPartStore was then able to order the lock cylinder coded to my key.
If you're interested, the dealer I got the parts from is:

http://thebmwminipartstore.com/

Sean is the internet parts sales guru.

Originally Posted by rckrzy1
so did they key the lock like your car ?

Old 07-16-2014, 01:31 PM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Yes, the MINI USA rep got authorization for me from corporate and so when I ordered my parts online from the MiniPartStore, I included a message with my order to contact the rep, Bill S @ MINI USA.
Sean, the guy at MiniPartStore was then able to order the lock cylinder coded to my key.
If you're interested, the dealer I got the parts from is:

http://thebmwminipartstore.com/

Sean is the internet parts sales guru.
So I got this right, first have to deal with MINI usa ? Is Bill S like your rep or the guy to contact regarding this ?

Thanks for your effort.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:47 PM
komet155
4th Gear
Bill S (at MINI USA. 866.275.6464, extension 7305) was the third rep I was in contact with, the first 2 didn't even understand what I was trying to do, kept reading me stupid scripted responses about how sorry they were that I was unhappy with my glove-box. It was infuriating.

The reason I recommend going right to him instead of any other rep at MINI USA is because he has experience with this and would know what to do.

If you contact Sean L at the BmwMiniPartStore, he may also already know exactly what to do since it's now been done before. He might just need to submit your VIN to get it authorized for a key cylinder order. By default, only VINs for convertibles and roadsters get authorization for this part.

If not you'll have to contact Bill S first to get authorization before placing your order. I wouldnt be surprised if each person that does this needs to contact the manufacturer first. It is a German company, after all, with a set bureaucracy.

***Make sure to refer to your VIN when you contact them and when placing your order. They'll need it to figure out what your key code is.***

Old 08-02-2014, 08:57 PM
M'Cooper
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is awesome! I want to do this as well.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:55 PM
grueinthebox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pics of the finished product?

I'm torn... On one hand I like the idea of a lock on the glove box... On the other hand by the time a criminal has broken my window to get to the glove box do I really want them damaging my glove box ripping it open as well?

Old 08-05-2014, 03:26 AM
komet155
4th Gear
Well, to be fair, it's not a high security lock but if it's too much of a hassle, a potential thief would probably just give up, especially if they're in a hurry.
I didnt take any pics, it's a pretty straightforward job.
remove a pillar cover
remove dash end cap
remove kneebar section containing latch now that you've exposed all the screws hidden by other trim
assemble lock cylinder into new latch
pop out old latch
pop in new latch
reverse steps to reassemble.
have a beer.

Originally Posted by grueinthebox
Pics of the finished product?

I'm torn... On one hand I like the idea of a lock on the glove box... On the other hand by the time a criminal has broken my window to get to the glove box do I really want them damaging my glove box ripping it open as well?

Old 02-14-2018, 10:37 AM
grecostamara
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Still useful

So this thread is pretty old but I just wanted to say I still found it useful! I went back and forth with Mini and the BMW Mini Parts Store but neither was able to help. The parts store eventually said they might be able to send the lock cylinder without coding it, but by then I had already bought a used one from eBay. So if you can get a used one or an uncoded one, it’s not difficult to code to your key. YouTube!

The following users liked this post:
bugeye1031 (05-04-2018)