Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior What Thule accessories are compatible with the Mini OEM roof rack?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 08:16 AM
inaba116
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Thule accessories are compatible with the Mini OEM roof rack?

So after a lot of research I have decided to go with the Mini OEM roof rack system but do not want the Mini OEM ski or bike carriers as I much prefer Thule.

I have seen a thread that discusses the Thule Universal Flat Top 6 ski carrier being compatible. Is this correct? Any adapers needed?

The only other carrier I want to use is Thule's Echelon fork mounted bike carrier. Is this compatible with Mini's OEM Roof Rack?

Lastly, what about Thule's fairing? Will that fit?

Thanks in advance. It is the beginning of ski season and I need my Mini to be mountain ready!

Last edited by inaba116; 12-13-2009 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:55 AM
inaba116
1st Gear
Nobody knows if the Thule ski and bike carrier and fairing are compatible with the OEM Roof Rack. I am desperate for info. Thanks

Old 12-15-2009, 08:46 AM
jashepan
Neutral
Most of Thule's attachments are compatable.

If you are using the mini OEM roof racks, they are similar shape to the Thule Aero bars. Go to Thule's website, Click on the accessory you want then click "technical information". This will show whther it is compatible with the areo bars.

For example, the echeolon bike carrier:
http://www.thule.com/en/US/Products/...Specifications

looks like you will need the Xadapt-9.
http://www.thule.com/en/US/sitecore/...640/24712.aspx

I have the OEM roof rack with a Thule Velo Vise bike tray. I needed the Xadapt-1 kit to fit it. I will also note that you will need an extra washer from the hardware store because the mini racks are slightly wider opening than the thule ones.

I have no clue aboout the ski carrier but it says "universal" and the mounting hardwae looks like it will fit.

Good luck

Old 12-15-2009, 09:00 AM
inaba116
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jashepan
Most of Thule's attachments are compatable.

If you are using the mini OEM roof racks, they are similar shape to the Thule Aero bars. Go to Thule's website, Click on the accessory you want then click "technical information". This will show whther it is compatible with the areo bars.

For example, the echeolon bike carrier:
http://www.thule.com/en/US/Products/...Specifications

looks like you will need the Xadapt-9.
http://www.thule.com/en/US/sitecore/...640/24712.aspx

I have the OEM roof rack with a Thule Velo Vise bike tray. I needed the Xadapt-1 kit to fit it. I will also note that you will need an extra washer from the hardware store because the mini racks are slightly wider opening than the thule ones.

I have no clue aboout the ski carrier but it says "universal" and the mounting hardwae looks like it will fit.

Good luck
thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure whether or not the Thule aero bars were the same as the mini OEM bars. So you are saying that the channel on the mini bars have a slightly larger opening which requires a washer? So I need to put the washer on the T bolt then slide it into the channel? I am sure I can figure it out once I get all the equipment.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:50 AM
jashepan
Neutral
Yep you got it.

I'll try to upload some pics once I get a chance.

As far as the faring is concerned - see these two links that I have bookmarked in anticipation of getting my rack. These are aftermarket fairing solutions for the OEM racks. The Thule one is on a Gen 2 mini but the rack setup is similar to ours.

Yakima:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...tory-rack.html

Thule:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...installed.html

It looks like the Yakima fairing is the easiest solution, however, it will depend on wheter you have a sunroof.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:11 AM
c.reneephillips
Neutral
thule bike trays mounted to oem mini base rack

I have an oem mini base rack that my husband is about to mount to my 09 mini clubman. It does not have rails, but seems to be easy enough to install. I currently have a Thule rack that was mounted on my X3. I want to use the velo vice bike trays with the oem mini base rack. Does anyone know if there is a special adapter to make this work? I have seen this set up on a black mini in town so i know that it is possible. Any guidance would be appreciated. I can't seem to find anything specific online.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:29 AM
2seven
2nd Gear
Can anybody tell me where I can find roof rack end caps for 1st gen roof racks (R53)? Is anybody willing to sell? I'm willing to buy the entire end cap, but I'm only in need of the circled part.