Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior help...cooper falling apart!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 12:49 AM
minilover2007
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help...cooper falling apart!

I have an 07 cooper convertible which seems to be falling apart piece by piece. Anyone know where I can find cheap parts rather then having to buy everything!!!! What I really need is a poor guy you totalled his cooper and is willing to help me out with parts! Anyone....anyone..... The first two are annoying and need to be fixed ASAP. Yes I have my priorities backwards but they drive me nuts!
  1. factory gen 1 cup holder - lost the little black piece on the bottom of the bracket. Dealership says have to buy a new cup holder. parts not available.
  2. Glove box - wont open. dealership says I need to buy a whole new glove box.
  3. arm rest - top came off - dealership says I have to buy a new one.
  4. shift **** - peeling chrome - dealership says I have to buy a new one.
  5. splash shield - I think this is the right name - the black piece that goes around the tires and under the front bumper - broke off under passenger front fog light. (teenager!) just looks horrible.
  6. Radiator support damaged - dealership recommended I fix ASAP.
  7. trunk door - hit and run - nice dent in door of trunk! still opens and closes but doesn't look so nice.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:54 PM
xnotfunkylex
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1. I think you can e-mail mini-fini and they can sell you just the part you need for the cup holder. I did that when I broke part of mine off. If you mean this one of course.

2. Get the glove box open. Take your time and see if you can open it. (does it have the locking mechanism?) That may have broke. If it eventually does, then see if you can find the issue. If you need a new one look on ebay or at a junkyard. But the only way to take it out is to get it open first.

3. Have you tried to glue/epoxy it back on there? Not sure how it came off so not sure that will work.

4. You could buy an aftermarket ****, or just post in the market place that you want to buy one. There are a ton of people who have switched so I bet you can get one. There's always ebay too.

5. Best bet there is either the dealer, or a MINI sight. Those parts are usually pretty cheap to get.

6. I would fix that first. Sounds like it could become a serious issue down the line.

7. The local auto body shop is your friend here.

Hope that helps a little. Also, if you post pics you might be able to get better help.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:01 AM
MaxMini81
Wanderer
1) I have one. PM me your address and I'll toss it in the mail for you. I assume you mean the wire frame one, not the one below.
2) Salvage yard maybe? IDK, previous post is better than anything I got.
3) Probably gonna have to replace. Without knowing which arm rest or
exactly how it broke its hard to diagnose.
4) Go aftermarket. Whalen's are a direct fit, but I have a Sparco I love and it doesn't budge.
5) $72 on RealOEM.com about $10 more through MINI. BUT, its a big awkward piece and who knows what shipping might be. I damaged
mine and just ripped the whole thing off until I could replace it. Dirty engine, but no harm done. The dealership did have one in stock
though when I decided to get it so, that was nice (Thats on a 1st gen though. You have a 2nd)
6) If you know EXACTLY what you need, RealOEM might be able to help here too, but if you aren't going to do the work yourself, I'd just
have the dealership do it. THIS IS YOUR PRIORITY -- At least now that the cup holder is figured out!
7) Body shop. Hopefully they can repair it. A replacement is going to cost you big. Look for a shop that specializes in European cars,
sometimes their connections can save you money and their paint quality and paint job quality is almost always better.

RealOEM will help you find the part number then go to AllMiniParts.com to order. Make sure you know your cars production date though. Its on there somewhere... I think the driver's door frame. Sounds like your car took a beating. PM me if I can help any more.

Last edited by MaxMini81; 12-02-2009 at 08:11 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:03 AM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxMini81
Thats on a 1st gen though. You have a 2nd.
In correct, the OP has a 1st gen. The 1st gen of Cabrio's went to model year 2008. 2009 was the first model year for the 2nd gen Cabrio.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:34 AM
MaxMini81
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Jeremy1026
In correct, the OP has a 1st gen. The 1st gen of Cabrio's went to model year 2008. 2009 was the first model year for the 2nd gen Cabrio.
Thank you for correcting me... That's how I learn...

More importantly, my bad. Not sure how I didn't know that.

Also MiniLover, check this out -- just stumbled across it. https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/interior-exterior/62845-broken-glove-box-latch.html

Old 12-02-2009, 03:23 PM
xnotfunkylex
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ Linky no worky.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:02 AM
MaxMini81
Wanderer