Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior OEM Scoop on a CF Hood

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 05:58 PM
JohnnyVillan
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OEM Scoop on a CF Hood

Anybody know if the OEM scoops (or scoops designed to fit the OEM Hood) will fit ViS CF Hoods? Or anyone have pics of how the OEM scoops mount?

The scoop on my CF hood is turning yellow from the heat and is gonna need replacing soon. Thinking about getting a Hyper Blue scoop to match the rest of the car but Im not sure if it will fit or if I should just paint the scoop I already have.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:44 PM
MaxMini81
Wanderer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it would look good, a sort of reversal on the CF on OEM. However, the pictures I have seen would lead me to believe that the CF hoods are a singular, molded piece. So there would be no need for the OEM part, and moreover no means to mount it.

When I was into Hondas, VIS always had the best looking kits, but they required HOURS of fitting - that is to say sanding down as they were very inprecise. The quality was never great either. Now, that was long ago, and fiberglass not CF. So I'm not trying to pass judgment or make a statement. I only bring it up to point out so that if you were thinking about modifying a CF hood to take the OEM scoop, you may already have a lot of work on your hands just getting it to fit.

Sweet website BTW

Old 12-01-2009, 10:19 PM
JohnnyVillan
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I already have the hood on the car (it fits like crap BTW) and the scoop is removable. I think its only like 3 bolts that hold it on. I have a justacooper so i dont know how the scoop on the stock S hood is attached.

Im kinda interested in the m7 scoops, I just gotta find out if ViS used the same mounting system as the stock hood. I know ViS makes a carbon fiber scoop for the stock hood, and that would lead one to assume that its the same scoop they give you when you buy the CF hood, and it mounts the same as stock.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:16 AM
MaxMini81
Wanderer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PM'd

Last edited by MaxMini81; 12-02-2009 at 05:27 AM.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:20 AM
AirborneMini003
4th Gear
Received 84 Likes on 59 Posts
Johnny,
I think I have had the same issues as you with VIS's product, mind you, mine required less fitment but their customer service leaves something to be desired. From what I understand on the scoop and hood it is the same pins so same mounting. See the attachment which is supposed to be a Seibon scoop so figuring if yours looks the same you are good to go.

I am nervous about what you said with the yellowing. I know all carbon is doomed but it is also not all made equal. I can say that the parts I got from them looked ****, but WTF, yellowing with about 4 coats of clear?! Do you live in Arizona or something and park outside? How long did it take you? I am not trying to have to paint carbon in 6 months.

I have a solid hyper blue MINI with carbon mirrors so the originals are in the box. I also have the intention of swapping for a carbon scoop and may be tempted to part with my scoop soon.

Last edited by AirborneMini003; 06-10-2010 at 06:10 PM.