Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior rearview mirror cap problem!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 01:09 PM
80Spitfire
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rearview mirror cap problem!!

I recently a purchased a UJ rearview mirror cap from my dealer. Since I had my car in for service they installed it for me, a 5-10 minute simple install. My question is to those who have the interior mirror cap. While the cap fits snugly along the top edge of the mirror it does not stick along the bottom. If I press firmly along the bottom edge it will stay stuck for about an hour and then come loose. Anyone else have this problem or is it just a bad install? I figure they didn't clean any grease or dirt on the back of the mirror very well in this location. Therefore the tape isn't sticking. I'm grateful that the Dealer didn't charge for the install but then again the mirror cover is 50 bucks and I want it to fit right! I can install it myself since it's simple enough. I don't want to yank it off and risk destroying a $50 part. Any advice?
Thanks in advance.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Alpha Motoring
6th Gear
Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
The part is really easy to install, I used to have it on my MINI I installed it myself took about a couple minutes literally to put it on, it always held on perfectly fine none of the problems you're describing

Old 11-22-2010, 10:40 AM
wpb mini
5th Gear
80Spitfire: I have a checkerboard interior mirror cover and noticed the same thing. The cover is a tiny bit loose along the bottom of the mirror. I installed it myself, and I am confident that I did the install properly. I think the problem is just with the adhesive- it is not very strong. I am leaving it alone since it is barely noticeable to anyone besides myself.

I suppose that if you would want to fix it, you could apply some glue meant for plastics by squirting a tiny dab onto a toothpick, and then dabbing it on the edge of the mirror cap. (Some people have used glue to keep the side scuttles in place). You would have to hold the mirror cap in place for a few minutes until the glue adheres. I myself don't want to apply any glue in case I decide that I want to switch out the cap to something else later on.

Good luck!

Old 12-30-2010, 08:33 AM
wxviewer
1st Gear
How do you do it?

Originally Posted by wpb mini
80Spitfire: I have a checkerboard interior mirror cover and noticed the same thing. The cover is a tiny bit loose along the bottom of the mirror. I installed it myself, and I am confident that I did the install properly. I think the problem is just with the adhesive- it is not very strong. I am leaving it alone since it is barely noticeable to anyone besides myself.

I suppose that if you would want to fix it, you could apply some glue meant for plastics by squirting a tiny dab onto a toothpick, and then dabbing it on the edge of the mirror cap. (Some people have used glue to keep the side scuttles in place). You would have to hold the mirror cap in place for a few minutes until the glue adheres. I myself don't want to apply any glue in case I decide that I want to switch out the cap to something else later on.

Good luck!
Anybody have an idea how to do it? The installation instructions are pretty much noneducational.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:07 PM
THarvey3
1st Gear
Rather than use glue, clear silicone dries like a glue and is very adhesive.