Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior M7 Vortex Hood Scoop Paint Job

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 02:39 PM
beckham23
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M7 Vortex Hood Scoop Paint Job

Just received the Vortex scoop for birthday from some friends, very very very happy about that...obviously, with any Mini gifts, I can't wait to install. However, as you might know, the Vortex scoop comes unpainted with a black gel coat. (I told my friends once I don't want the CF version as I am staying away from anything CF...it gets really expensive, quickly, that way...mirror cover...front lip...all CF)

For you Vortex scoop owners out there, how much did you pay for your local shop to paint and prep the hood scoop? I never have to deal with painting parts, thus, I have no clue whether someone is trying to rip me off or give me a fair deal when it comes to painting a hood scoop. It seems to me a pretty small work...

On the other hand, what is the exact color code for Mini glossy black? I have P/W w/ Black top, I want the scoop to match my roof top...

If any of you lives in the Bay Area, even better you can provide recommendations.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:28 PM
ToMiTa
2nd Gear
M7 Scoop

I just put the M7 scoop on my car, but didn't paint it. I think it looks pretty cool!!

Old 01-21-2009, 02:37 PM
Bor
3rd Gear
looks great indeed ! does it match the wheel arches in color and texture ?

Old 01-21-2009, 03:24 PM
beckham23
2nd Gear
I think it does...since they are all kinda dark grey-ish...

However, since I am going for a monotone theme (my arches are painted PW as well)...I just dropped it off yesterday at a local paint shop to get it painted glossy black. Will post pics once installed.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:01 PM
ToMiTa
2nd Gear
It works well in matching the texture and color of the stock black trim but it is gelcoated and is supposed to be painted. I will return to do a post if it doesn't hold up in appearance. You have to drill one hole that M7 supplies the bit for. The hole is hidden under the hood so if i wish to return to stock, I could.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:51 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We are a custom paint shop and paint high end parts for sports cars. To get a good job your going to pay between $175 and $225.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:41 PM
WYSIWYG
2nd Gear
I'm going to try Plasti-Dip on mine. I'm not sure how well it will work on gelcoat, but if that doesn't work, I'll have a professional shop paint it to match the body color.

-C

Old 02-02-2009, 04:13 PM
nammerz
4th Gear
i ended up painting mine for 100 dollars at a shop. i got them to paint it black. very very nice work too. although i cant speak for people who does custom work at or own a shop.... but in my opinion.... if you pay more than 150 bucks for something tiny like this.... again, my opinion .. not trying to put anyone on blast or anything, but you paid too much. i know its a run on sentence but im tired. spent all morning and afternoon at the docks so im burnt.

-nam

Old 02-02-2009, 04:38 PM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Originally Posted by nammerz
i ended up painting mine for 100 dollars at a shop. i got them to paint it black. very very nice work too. although i cant speak for people who does custom work at or own a shop.... but in my opinion.... if you pay more than 150 bucks for something tiny like this.... again, my opinion .. not trying to put anyone on blast or anything, but you paid too much. i know its a run on sentence but im tired. spent all morning and afternoon at the docks so im burnt.

-nam
Sure we can spray them for $100 bucks using the cheap paint no problem. Its easy to say you can get it done cheap....you get what you pay for.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:30 PM
Noegel
5th Gear
I'd listen to Red Bull.... he's got so pretty sickly painted objects. We'll compare you two in three years. I think THAT is where the quality differences will show up greatest.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:39 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Noegel
I'd listen to Red Bull.... he's got so pretty sickly painted objects. We'll compare you two in three years. I think THAT is where the quality differences will show up greatest.
You are correct...when I do parts it is important they look great but, it has to look that way years to come. That is where the paint & clear coat quality counts. And trust me the good stuff cost much more money

Old 02-03-2009, 08:44 AM
VeganBrian
1st Gear
As does anytihing. You get what you pay for.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:34 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Don't get me wrong..if your happy with what you have that is great. We are a custom shop that has been doing this a long time. If you are using a single stage paint it will cost considerably less. To give you an example I am looking at a cost sheet I have from my supplier. A pint of Corvette Velocity Yellow in single stage low grade paint cost $21.00 and does not need to be cleared and a pint of 2 stage....base coat only in a high grade PPG Deltron series ( the only paint I use and some house of color) is $98 and then you have to clear coat on top of that. My cost for a gallon of Deltron 3000 clear is $200 a gallon. Just pointing out the diffrence in paint cost. I have a lot of customers that see the value in the higher grade paint they use on there prized possesions and overall we are still the most competitive in terms of cost compared to most others.

People make the statements that if you pay $X amount its to much without understanding what is involved. Its in the product and process, good paint today is not cheap but much better than the material that was out just 5 years ago.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:06 PM
nammerz
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Red Bull
Don't get me wrong..if your happy with what you have that is great. We are a custom shop that has been doing this a long time. If you are using a single stage paint it will cost considerably less. To give you an example I am looking at a cost sheet I have from my supplier. A pint of Corvette Velocity Yellow in single stage low grade paint cost $21.00 and does not need to be cleared and a pint of 2 stage....base coat only in a high grade PPG Deltron series ( the only paint I use and some house of color) is $98 and then you have to clear coat on top of that. My cost for a gallon of Deltron 3000 clear is $200 a gallon. Just pointing out the diffrence in paint cost. I have a lot of customers that see the value in the higher grade paint they use on there prized possesions and overall we are still the most competitive in terms of cost compared to most others.

People make the statements that if you pay $X amount its to much without understanding what is involved. Its in the product and process, good paint today is not cheap but much better than the material that was out just 5 years ago.
oh yeah i agree that you get what you pay for. i mean thats what i am willing to accept as well but if you want a long lasting paint job, go find a shop that will do that type of work. i forgot how long i had my scoop, but i know i had it at least half a year. it still looks great. i am worried though about fading. i hope it doesnt. we'll see though

Old 02-03-2009, 06:26 PM
Red Bull
6th Gear
oh yeah i agree that you get what you pay for. i mean thats what i am willing to accept as well but if you want a long lasting paint job, go find a shop that will do that type of work. i forgot how long i had my scoop, but i know i had it at least half a year. it still looks great. i am worried though about fading. i hope it doesnt. we'll see though
Cool then why make a blanket statement like you did....does not make sense to say you should not pay more than $100 when you dont state all the facts. There are people out there that dont want to take a chance....its not fair to make that statement when there are people looking at getting a high quality job donr...not a Walmart job. Thats all I am saying.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:14 PM
nammerz
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Red Bull
Cool then why make a blanket statement like you did....does not make sense to say you should not pay more than $100 when you dont state all the facts. There are people out there that dont want to take a chance....its not fair to make that statement when there are people looking at getting a high quality job donr...not a Walmart job. Thats all I am saying.
hmm i think the internet is making the way i say things out of proportion. i put happy faces on my post to show that im not trying to offend anyone. i also stated that it is my opinion. i also said i cant speak for people who do custom work or do custom work. again it is my opinion, i am not here to offend. so i am very sorry if i did offend anyone here. i just said in my opinion that i feel its too much to pay 300 dollars on something small.

my goodness... i hope i didnt offend anyone

Old 02-04-2009, 05:36 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
hmm i think the internet is making the way i say things out of proportion. i put happy faces on my post to show that im not trying to offend anyone. i also stated that it is my opinion. i also said i cant speak for people who do custom work or do custom work. again it is my opinion, i am not here to offend. so i am very sorry if i did offend anyone here. i just said in my opinion that i feel its too much to pay 300 dollars on something small.

my goodness... i hope i didnt offend anyone
No offense at all taken just talking, however, your last sentence just brings us back to the start of this so I am done here....I see you have upped the price to $300 now being to much...and I agree.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:10 PM
guywhomaybuyamini
3rd Gear
Hello,

I was thinking of picking up an M7 Scoop myself and I am wondering are there any drawbacks? Leaves and bugs flying in your engine compartment?
Thanks
Bob

Old 06-05-2009, 07:11 PM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
I agree with Red Bull, I paid 185.00 for mine to be done by a pro shop. I had this shop do my entire car. No chips or fading at all. Looks great! I'll see if I can post some pictures when I get home.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:50 PM
guywhomaybuyamini
3rd Gear
I finally got mine done... $80 paint job we will see how long it lasts.
I am happy though... its just what it needs

Attached Thumbnails M7 Vortex Hood Scoop Paint Job-jcw-4.jpg   M7 Vortex Hood Scoop Paint Job-jcw-5.jpg   M7 Vortex Hood Scoop Paint Job-jcw-103.jpg  

Last edited by guywhomaybuyamini; 06-21-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:01 PM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
^^^^^^ siiiick. Do want.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:56 AM
todoubled
3rd Gear
i paid 225 for the gascap, taillight and headlight trims and scuttles to be painted from a pro shop. the guy the next day who did the work told me how much work it took to do and couldnt believe he charged me so little. now he wants 700 to paint the plastic molding around the car like redbulls.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:36 AM
beckham23
2nd Gear
OK, since I started the thread, guess I have the responsibility to update the folks who chimed in with their great opinions...I decided to go for quality and paid $150 for this paint job. Very happy so far...totally not trying to start any *$80 vs. $150* war...whatever you feel comfortable, just go for it.

I wasn't really thinking about the hood scoop when I took these pics, so let me know if you are looking for certain angles...enjoy

Old 06-15-2009, 05:33 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
lookin good. You get the grille / headlight surrounds painted too?

Old 06-15-2009, 02:54 PM
beckham23
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by iwashmycar
lookin good. You get the grille / headlight surrounds painted too?
Yes, they are painted as well. And there tells me to pay for a quality job on my hood scoop. Just went to the track, and my grille are now chipped like crazy. Hood scoop, not 1 scratch. The rest of the front has clear bra.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior M7 Vortex Hood Scoop Paint Job