Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Anyone put power FOLDING heated mirrors on their Mini?

Old 08-18-2003, 09:56 PM
SMini
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for info from anyone who has put power folding mirrors on their Mini. Any help will be appreciated.

Old 08-18-2003, 11:07 PM
SpoMini
3rd Gear
Do you mean the heated side mirrors in the cold weather package? If so, yes. I got them but they were already on the car as part of the package. Otherwise I have no clue what you are talking about

Old 08-19-2003, 09:14 AM
Cooptime
3rd Gear
Power folding side mirrors isn't an option. The mirrors do fold, but by hand only. They are heated if you get the Cold package.

Old 08-19-2003, 03:48 PM
rg
3rd Gear
Sounds like you're looking for the Japanese spec mirrors. I've read elsewhere on the web that this is the only place that uses them, and they are standard there, at least that's what i've read. I would think they might be a buggar to retrofit.

Old 08-19-2003, 10:30 PM
SMini
Neutral
Yes, I saw them in Japan and they are quite handy for tight parking spaces. I tried to buy them at a dealer but they would not sell to me. I will keep trying and post here again if I am able to buy them and get them to work.

smini

Old 08-20-2003, 03:09 PM
rfibanez
Banned
I'm going to japan this dec and I'll also try to buy the folding mirrors, theyre great if you dont have a lot of room in your garage. SMini why wouldnt they let you buy them? Please post if you get them to work.

Old 08-21-2003, 05:56 AM
thejamesgang
2nd Gear
How do you get out if the parking is so tight you have to fold the mirrors?

Old 08-21-2003, 06:01 AM
Deli
6th Gear
Wouldn't you simply climb through the boot?

Old 08-24-2003, 02:25 AM
SMini
Neutral
My brother did most of the talking since my Japanese is not very good. We attempted to purchase the parts necessary but were turned away politely, I am not sure if this would be true for all of Japanese dealers. My brother told me that he attempted to by some minor interior trim pieces for his Nissan Skyline and before his local dealer would sell to him, he had to provide his registartion papers for his car. Maybe this is to help prevent the sales of repair parts to auto thiefs or maybe it had something to do with the fact that it was a holiday week and knowone was willing to help.

My brother will try another dealer to see if he can get them and I will go back in another month or so to visit.

If you have the need, the folding mirrors are really slick pieces. There is a button next to the power mirror slide switch, one push and both mirrors fold in. Really cool stuff!

In Japan, parking spaces can be very very tight, even for a mini. Most cars with power mirrors also have the power folding feature.

That's it for now,
sMini

Old 08-24-2003, 04:59 PM
rfibanez
Banned
Yes the power mirrors are really cool! I saw a MINI dealer in tokyo when I was there, it was in the basement of the BMW dealer!

Your bro has a skyline, thats cool. Is your brother in the military or does he just live in japan? I have an uncle thats in the navy and I'll be visiting my cousins there in dec so I plan on buying stuff for my mini when I'm there. Ever been to autobacs or upgarage? they have some awesome stuff!

Old 02-24-2005, 06:29 PM
CapWKidd
4th Gear
Ooo, I was wondering this myself! Any info guys/gals?

Doug

Originally Posted by SMini
My brother did most of the talking since my Japanese is not very good. We attempted to purchase the parts necessary but were turned away politely, I am not sure if this would be true for all of Japanese dealers. My brother told me that he attempted to by some minor interior trim pieces for his Nissan Skyline and before his local dealer would sell to him, he had to provide his registartion papers for his car. Maybe this is to help prevent the sales of repair parts to auto thiefs or maybe it had something to do with the fact that it was a holiday week and knowone was willing to help.

My brother will try another dealer to see if he can get them and I will go back in another month or so to visit.

If you have the need, the folding mirrors are really slick pieces. There is a button next to the power mirror slide switch, one push and both mirrors fold in. Really cool stuff!

In Japan, parking spaces can be very very tight, even for a mini. Most cars with power mirrors also have the power folding feature.

That's it for now,
sMini

Old 02-24-2005, 07:11 PM
eurazn
3rd Gear
Personally I don't have them or need them except for cool factor. Anyhow, https://www.newministuff.com/ does sell DIY auto folding mirror kit. GL

Old 02-25-2005, 05:11 AM
petecrosby
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The electric folding mirrors are an option in the UK, and possibly other countries. For some reason they are not an available option in the US. You should be able to get the parts from someone over there and do the upgrade yourself. Mikeythemini (aka NEWMINISTUFF) has done the upgrade, I think, so he could provide pointers. Take a look on his website and on MINI2.

Old 02-26-2005, 08:45 AM
kibosh
2nd Gear
I have heard that some places in Japan charge you for parking based on the width of your car so being able to fold the mirrors in could save you money long term. I don't know if the width based parking is true... It was in a thread either here or MINI2.com regarding folding mirrors about a year ago I think.

Old 02-26-2005, 03:56 PM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
I once odered a new pass side mirror post and got one. they put the wrong part in the box. it came from classic. there is a guy, i think in florida, that made a set work. they look awesome when they went in and out. it worked only on lock and unlock with the key fob. it is on my list of cool items that i want to add just because i can and no one else has them list, but my go fast list is taking over right now....