Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Alta light bar/IPF lights clearance/rust

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 12:48 AM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Alta light bar/IPF lights clearance/rust

I installed the bar a few weeks ago and have been waiting for the lights to arrive. A few days ago I did a test fit. I had them all the way back so they rub on the bumper cover and they still don't seem pointed high enough.

Tonight I took everything back off to see if I could lower the brackets and discovered that a cross member in the bumper was right below the holes I drilled before...by shear luck I had them as low as they could go already. Put everything back together and this time I put the 6 washers that came with the bar behind it to push the bar out further...still seems that they can't be tipped back enough. Granted, I haven't wired them yet so I'm just eyeballing them but...

Next thought is to insert a couple of washers behind each light...

Also, when I pulled the bar off I noticed that the bolts were already rusting...what can I put in the holes to prevent further corrosion and eventual seizing of the bolts?

Anybody else have these issues?

Old 05-20-2008, 04:21 AM
ChrisMCS04
Peace Keeper
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had thought that they were going to be too low....and myabe yours is slightly different from mine, but trust me...they are not too low. The outer ones are going to be aimed a little higher than the inside ones, but I have p***** of quite a few drivers...one time I drove behind a cop with them on to see if it would bother him(so that I knew my lights were positioned wrong), but he could have cared less So, I will turn my lights off to passing drivers out of curtisy, but I do not think that it is necessary since it did not even bother the cop

Now, for the rust...I just used some salastic(sorry about the spelling) to seal the stuff up...and it does not affect the products in any way

Last edited by ChrisMCS04; 05-20-2008 at 04:24 AM.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:27 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sin MINI
Granted, I haven't wired them yet so I'm just eyeballing them but...
Until you wire up its all conjecture on your part.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:52 AM
puresilvermcs2002
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rust prevention

Hi,

You can used a product from 3M called Underseal, is a type of ruberized paint (like bedliner) that will prevent salt or water from going into the bolts. The only disadvantage is when you need to remove the bolts, need to clean with light solvent to revome the underseal. It works great. Also I can recommend to apply matte clearcoat to your light bar, as it might get some damage from the stones on the highway.
Regarding the lights, once you install them you will figure it out.

Good luck.