Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Please...I need help with Alta Light bar install...ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 01:20 PM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Please...I need help with Alta Light bar install...ASAP!

My bumper and bumper cover are sitting in my livving room and the instructions aren't clear on how the bolts, washers, etc are to be used...I'll have some left over if I do it the obvious way. Got to get my car put back together...

Anyone know where the 1 inch washers go??

This has proven to be much more stressful than this newb was prepared to handle

Old 04-12-2008, 01:23 PM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
While you're at it...I tried to get the bumper cover back on in a panic this morning when I had to make an unexpected errand and couldn't. The springy plastic guides on each end were in the way. I took them off, hoping I could put the, back on from the wheel well (then gave up and borrowed a neighbors car) but if there's an easier way please let me know...

Old 04-12-2008, 04:57 PM
ChrisMCS04
Peace Keeper
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am not sure I remember what exactly you are having trouble with...Give Jeff a call at Alta and he will be able to steer you right...PM them since they are closed...

Old 04-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
I called but they were already closed. PM ias a good idea.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:48 PM
groove67
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The big washers are used to add space for the light bar itself. I used all six to move the bar out so I could adjust the lights. I have the Aero Kit on my 06. The plastic spring type blades help hold the corners of the bumper on. When you put the bumper back on you need to hold those corners up a little bit higher so you can pinch the ends together. You might even be able to lift and tilt that side enough to just slide them into place. It has been a few months since I did mine so I might be off my reinstall info.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:57 PM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
That's what I figured (the washers I mean). As for the plastic spring things, I just took them off...as it turns out they can be easily screwed in/out from the wheel well and not risk breaking them.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:27 PM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
Problem. Light bar is on and despite doing everything according to the instructions (which in my mind were weak), the ends of the brackets posts are toed out too much and the holes in the bar won't line up. This is despite the fact that I tightened down the brackets on the bumper with the bar attached. For the life of me I can't figure out how they spread out during the time I removed the bar, reattached the bumper, and then replaced the bumper cover...

The instructions said to drill through the bumper but the bumper is curved..so was I supposed to drill through the bumper at an angle so the posts were parallel (and the brackets then not flush against the bumper) or drill so that the brackets were flush against the bumper (toeing out the attachment posts) (see attached picture). I did the latter...but now I suspect that's where I screwed up.

Attached Thumbnails Please...I need help with Alta Light bar install...ASAP!-bumper-quandary.jpg  

Last edited by Sin MINI; 04-14-2008 at 01:03 PM.