Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Roof Rack, Fairing, and Bike Trays Installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 12:01 AM
sunnyeyedgrl
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wouldn't know how to do any of this

So, even if I have all the part numbers, I wouldn't have a clue as to how to install this on my own. If I wanted to outsource this to some shop, would it be reasonable to ask them to order the parts on my behalf and charge me a service fee for the install?

Old 07-19-2012, 04:43 AM
Notawagonwife
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by sunnyeyedgrl
So, even if I have all the part numbers, I wouldn't have a clue as to how to install this on my own. If I wanted to outsource this to some shop, would it be reasonable to ask them to order the parts on my behalf and charge me a service fee for the install?
I tried working with the new Thule fairing.It has an extra "C" type extension. Flip the extension with the "C" upside down so it is underneath the extension bar. It still works, but the Mini touring bike holder's base for our carbon bikes is too wide to sit between the pre-drilled holes in the fairing. You can pick up the pieces for the extension at Lowes or Home Depot. Eastern Mountain Sports was great in working with me. We tried two different sizes (the one sized for a Mini and the next size up), but as I stated before they do not work with our Mini touring bike holder. I had to give up, but not because I could not adapt the fairing to the Mini rack. If anyone has any other ideas let me know.
Print out the picture and pick out the parts from Lowes. Check with Eastern Mountain Sports or a bike shop. You will need a different bike rack adaptor. They may help you. That said the extension kills any warranty. Good Luck.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:12 PM
absoluteczech
4th Gear
sorry for bumping this, but does anyone have a picture of what the cut outs look like around the water gutter trim once the roof rack is removed? i want to ge the base bar but i like to remove them during the week when not riding.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:51 PM
minister07
1st Gear
The dealer can sell you pop-in plastic parts that cover the holes and they blend in well. You may incur some wear and tear on the rack and the interior of the roof putting the rack on and off that often, though.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:51 AM
absoluteczech
4th Gear
I don't see how that's possible? I had VW and removed my rack on a weekly basis for 2 yrs and never had any signs of wear, unless I were to be clumsy and drag the bars across the roof and scratch my paint.

It just bolts to the holes behind the rain gutter, right? How can unscrewing it and screwing it back in cause "wear" on the roof? Sorry for my ignorance.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:05 AM
zombiepants
1st Gear
We are going to be picking up the Mini base rack in a week or so, and I'm a bit nervous about the whole cutting/drilling thing. Does anyone know if it is just plastic that is being cut or is it an actual metal part of the roof? We live in the midwest and we do see snow, so the rack will be coming off during the winter, and we don't want to deal with a potential rust issue. I did see the post about the plastic covers for the holes, but I'm also curious if they are just for looks or do they actually seal off the hole (if in fact there *is* metal exposed).

Anyone? Bueller?

Last edited by zombiepants; 09-15-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:32 PM
Purie
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No drilling or cutting required. It's 4 perforated/precut chunks that you just pull right off. It'll expose slots that the OEM racks slide into and when you remove the racks the plastic tabs slide into them and cover them up tightly. It looks like all the exposed metal is treated so I'm not worried about rust.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:56 PM
Clubman S Turbo
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks sharp. I dont think its obnoxious, Id prob leave it on 24x7.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:19 AM
jpsans
Neutral
I was wondering if you could tell me which adapter kits you bought for the fairing and where? Can't seem to find it anywhere. The fairing comes with the adapters that attach around the rack, which are too small for the OEM MINI roof rack.

Thank you

Old 11-05-2017, 11:12 AM
KenR73
Neutral
Hey Guys, I know this is an older post, but I am trying to recreate what Brooks did here... Can anyone tell me what Thule bike fork mount trays were used ?