Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Help me change my interior to red!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 10:10 AM
jivanivan
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, I've decided instead of waiting to get a reliable turbo for the Cooper, I'm going to change alot of the interior. I want to have a "RED" interior.

I'm looking to change:
1. the stock meter to a red colored meter
2. steering wheel
3. shift & ebrake boot
4. floor mats

and I'm open to any recommendations

I want it to look somewhat like the car on the GUT website

and I know someone has to make floor mats like this for less than $300!

Also, I have the anthracite interior and want to change it to silver. Anyone know how much this will cost?

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-19-2003, 10:17 AM
minicoop78
4th Gear
I know if you want it done show car quallity its going to run about a grand
you could do it cheaper if you strip your interior to pieces and take them to a
body shop that does paint. how ever you will need special paint to stick to the plastic
if you are good with art stuff you could do the anthricite your self with model paint that you get from a hobbie shop
you may want to try that before you pay a bunch to have it done
but you would need to be real good with a brush

Old 07-19-2003, 10:31 AM
YellowCoop
1st Gear
You should paint your down-tubes red, too.

Old 07-19-2003, 11:56 AM
jivanivan
4th Gear
YellowCoop - what are down tubes?

Old 07-19-2003, 01:00 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>YellowCoop - what are down tubes?

The plastic tubes on either side of the stereo and AC controls. Apparently they can be removed fairly easily for painting. I've thought about doing this for a while.

As far as shift and brake boots go, MOMO makes very nice ones. I haven't seen their website yet, though.

Old 07-19-2003, 01:04 PM
jivanivan
4th Gear
Hey Chris,

Are the MOMO shift boots pretty easy to install? I just bought a Whalen, would it matter what type of shifter I have?

Old 07-19-2003, 02:28 PM
red03miniS
Banned
ivan
i hope this is a april fools joke

otherwise

Old 07-19-2003, 04:22 PM
jivanivan
4th Gear
Ryan,

No April fools joke here. I really want to make my interior with a red theme. I think it would look real nice.

Old 07-19-2003, 04:23 PM
red03miniS
Banned
oh um ok

Old 07-19-2003, 07:16 PM
rfibanez
Banned
The MINI from Euro Tuner had a matching blue interior, it looked pretty good. I think its gonna cost a lot to do what your asking. When you say you want to change the antharcite interior to silver do you mean just the dash? I saw a silver dash that someone was selling on ebay, or could ask another MCO member if they wanna switch.

Old 07-19-2003, 07:54 PM
jsun
6th Gear
I personally think it'll look weird (dare I say goofy?)...but if you do it, you ought to try to get a set of those red/black seats. Or, a red finished racing seat. Why stop at bits on the dash and the shift boot?

Old 07-19-2003, 09:21 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>Hey Chris,
>>
>>Are the MOMO shift boots pretty easy to install? I just bought a Whalen, would it matter what type of shifter I have?<<

No idea; I'm still shopping around myself, but the MOMO one looks the nicest out of those that I have found. Don't know their price, either.

Old 07-19-2003, 10:10 PM
jivanivan
4th Gear

chrisnl - I just went to Japantown in San Francisco and checked out the MOMO shift *****. They told me if you don't have a MOMO **** you have to get the universal fit boot which looks like it should be tied at the top. It costs around $60. Honestly it turned me off looking at it, but who knows, I'm willing to try.

jsun - how you mean goofy? I was trying to look for matching seat covers since I have the heated seats. Would you happen to know if you can transfer the heat function to an aftermarket seat?

rfibanez - Hey Ray, yeah I seen the Euro Tuner car, it looks real nice with their laguna blue. Yeah, I just want to change the dash, just to lighten things up. I think I'm going to have them painted along with the door handles in the interior.

Trust me guys, this isn't goin to look goofy

Old 07-20-2003, 01:06 PM
jsun
6th Gear

>>jsun - how you mean goofy? I was trying to look for matching seat covers since I have the heated seats. Would you happen to know if you can transfer the heat function to an aftermarket seat?
>>

What I was suggesting was the Tartan Red Kaleido Cloth seats (available as an option on the Cooper, not S).

I don't know...it's all a matter of taste obviously. I think that the red accents and red floor mats would be garrish. I think that when you were done the interior would look clearly aftermarket (maybe that's entirely your point though). That's what I meant. But hey, it's your car...make it as "personal" as you want.

Old 07-20-2003, 01:10 PM
red03miniS
Banned
hey ivan

do it, be different, thats what owning a mini is al about

and yea, i have the silver dash
imo silver>antracite

Old 07-20-2003, 01:14 PM
nfo
6th Gear
hey ivan, if there was a easy way to do this, i'd trade you my silver interior for your anthricite!

Old 07-20-2003, 03:46 PM
laclede
3rd Gear
Hey Ivan,

I just had the downtubes and matching door 'y'-tubes painted to BRG.

Here's some pics of them, although you can't see the metallic in it as the pic was relying on the camera flash as it was getting dark out...

Red might be quite the interior

Good luck...

Btw, for painting, mine was done by sanding down the parts with steel wool, cleaning throughly, 3-4 coats of testors model paint (the spray can, skip the bottle), and 3-4 coats of testors gloss coat. It bonds well to plastic as that is what it is designed for.

Old 07-20-2003, 03:54 PM
mightyMiniz
Banned
>>hey ivan, if there was a easy way to do this, i'd trade you my silver interior for your anthricite!

Allegedly - The Whole Dash comes off and all the pieces come off just as easily... The Pieces, individually are EXPENSIVE... Example, the Passenger Side Airbag Panel is hinged on the top and costs about if not a little more than $100.

You both would be dashless for a bit, but that sounds like a nice deal.

Old 07-21-2003, 10:53 AM
jivanivan
4th Gear
Hey nfo - I would be willing to do the trade sometime around next month if you're interested. SO we would be trading the dash, down tubes, and the door side handles, correct?

I figured we should use Fedex next day and split the costs. We would be dashless for half a day. We just need to find a good way to package the pieces. My dash and door sides are in perfect condition since I've only had my MINI since late May of this year. Let me know if you're interested. I think this would work out well.

-Ivan

Old 07-21-2003, 11:00 AM
Phobol
4th Gear
The whole front dash comes off easily, EXCEPT for the airbag portion!!! Be careful! I've changed my dash and the whole thing cost 295 from classic auto. I have all the old parts (anthracite). Everything is screw and click, but the airbag piece is connected to the back of the dashboard with two straps. You will need to take out the top of the dash, then do some tooling on top, there's also a metal bracket that doesn't let the straps out, you will have to bend it a bit because it's riveted down, so you can't unscrew it. It's a pain.

Iaclede, how did you take the door tubes out? I took the door apart, but couldn't figure out how they are connected.

Old 07-21-2003, 11:05 AM
Casey
5th Gear
I say go for it - should look sweet - I'm planning on doing something similar in mine...seats will most likely be MOMOs in red and yellow and carry those colors through the interior and the exterior decals. Personally I think the antercite dash will look a lot better with red accents then the silver would...but that is just me, then again I have the anthercite and love it....just wish they would have made the stalks on the wheel and the tach in anthercite as well instead of leaving those silver.

Old 07-21-2003, 11:19 AM
countrym
6th Gear
I think this looks great, just for the record. :smile: :smile:

And I guess it would be a pretty inexpensive DIY, right ?

>>Hey Ivan,
>>
>>I just had the downtubes and matching door 'y'-tubes painted to BRG.
>>
>>
>>Here's some pics of them, although you can't see the metallic in it as the pic was relying on the camera flash as it was getting dark out...
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>Red might be quite the interior
>>
>>Good luck...
>>
>>Btw, for painting, mine was done by sanding down the parts with steel wool, cleaning throughly, 3-4 coats of testors model paint (the spray can, skip the bottle), and 3-4 coats of testors gloss coat. It bonds well to plastic as that is what it is designed for.
>>
>>_________________
>>BRG MC w/ White Bonnet Stripes, Driving Lights w/ Red Covers and a sunroof

Old 07-21-2003, 02:03 PM
jivanivan
4th Gear
laclede - NICE JOB, I think I will be doing that to my doors also. Does the paint stay on good, I'm afraid of the little chipping here and there. I might just find some body shop to do it since I'm not sure about the whole sanding down process.

Old 07-21-2003, 05:50 PM
laclede
3rd Gear
>>laclede - NICE JOB, I think I will be doing that to my doors also. Does the paint stay on good, I'm afraid of the little chipping here and there. I might just find some body shop to do it since I'm not sure about the whole sanding down process.
>>

It's holding up really good, after a few hot days, the paint has definitely gotten nice and hard. I was concerned about where my leg rubbed the driver's side downttube but it hasn't done anything too it. The sanding is a piece of cake, just sand any marks off, and give it some texture for the paint.

Old 07-21-2003, 06:11 PM
nfo
6th Gear
jivanivan...
this would be crazy to do!
is there a easy way to get the airbag panel off?
let's find out some more info before we jump!

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Help me change my interior to red!