Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Driving lights - only go on with high-beams?

Old 07-16-2003, 12:58 PM
MCSRob
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had my driving lights installed at Manhattan Mini yesterday (a dealership I am already less than pleased with).

Got home and noticed that the lights only come on when I put on my brights/high-beams.

Is this normal?

I had assumed the driving lights would be on all the time when I pushed the button to turn them on. A little disappointed that they don't

Thanks.

MCSRob

Old 07-16-2003, 01:00 PM
jsun
6th Gear
I thought they'd only go on with LOW beams...just like fog lights.

Old 07-16-2003, 01:10 PM
Mcooper
2nd Gear
I had mine installed here in Florida, yes they only go on with the high beams.
I am also dissapointed that I didn't get a toggle switch in the middle, but a button
on left side dash.

Glenn

Old 07-16-2003, 01:19 PM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
I’ve done this before and looks like I’ll do it again.

Rally Lights are NOT for cursing around looking cool. They will blind the on coming drivers. They have a function – they give you better vision.

Drive down a back country road at 2 AM going to work as I do and you want them on. You do not drive down PO-Dunk town Main Street with them on.

And yes I have Rally Light and yes they ONLY work with high beams.

Old 07-16-2003, 01:20 PM
jwtucker
3rd Gear
Fog lights are typically aimed at the ground in front of you, which is why they work with low beams (they don't dazzle oncoming drivers).

On the other hand, driving lights are intended to cast a high-intensity beam far in front of you to increase you long distance visibility - just like high beams. Think of them as "extra-high beams". If they stayed on when you had your low beams on, you'll probably just annoy oncoming drivers.

Old 07-16-2003, 01:50 PM
Carroll
1st Gear
MCSRob,

What's your beef with MINI of Manhattan?

I've had nothing but the best experiences with them. For real. I'm not employed by them. I honestly get great service. I'm just a plain old customer who gets great customer service from this BMW owned dealer. I've dealt with both service and the body shop. And my MCS has been in there quite a bit. In fact, you can see a photo of my car at www.mininyc.com in the Service section. I'll fax invoices to those who doubt me and thanklessly assume I'm a covert agent for the dealer. This has happened before here in these forums, when I make statements in their defense, as if somehow no one can conceive of being satisfied with their dealer.

Back on topic...

Regarding the driving lights, yes, they supplement the high beams, so they're really only decorative here in NYC. Don't worry, I have them too and think they look great with the Aero Kit.

I wish the driving lights came in two intensities, one for high beams, one for low beams. That way they could work like daytime running lights with the low beams, and supplement the high beams for back country road rallies.

I also wish the driving light switch remembered its setting, so you could just leave them on. In the city, they are useful for flashing naughty drivers who don't need a horn. The driving lights enhance the message without being inconsiderate to all drivers, with the dreaded high beam in the face.

Pictures for the curious on my
Owner's Lounge Resume

I hope you're having as much fun as I am with the Cooper S in NYC, weaving through traffic on the avenues, parking in impossible spaces, stealing looks at stoplights, responding to the constant question "How much?"

Old 07-16-2003, 02:18 PM
jwtucker
3rd Gear
I wish the driving lights came in two intensities, one for high beams, one for low beams. That way they could work like daytime running lights with the low beams, and supplement the high beams for back country road rallies.
Here's a possible solution for you:

Get one of these aftermarket front bumpers from Mini Mania: