North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Interior/Exterior (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/interior-exterior-33/)
-   -   Interior/Exterior Clear Bra or not? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/interior-exterior/109596-clear-bra-or-not.html)

MINIFVR 08-10-2007 09:22 AM

I don't have any issues with rocks in the summer for whatever reason. Its the winters that are the worst. Im not really a fan of car bras in the first place so perhaps thats why I suggested that.

MirthScout 08-10-2007 10:04 AM

These are not the old black car bras that you tie on. These are clear and aplied directly to the paint surface kinda like bonnet stripes. You have to get pretty close to the car and squint to tell it's there. You can't peel these off and put them back on. Each time you put it on it's a brand new one.

MINIFVR 08-10-2007 10:10 AM

Ahhh.... Sounds like it might not be too ugly! What you described might be good.

RROUNDU 08-12-2007 03:23 PM

Yaaaa, the clear bra is a real life saver! I've had it on for 40,000+ miles and had ZERO rock chips. I think it was one of the first things I did to my MINI and I'm glad I did it! :thumbsup:

Nimcosi 08-12-2007 04:53 PM

Ok, I have to ask. If the clear bra is such a miracle product why doesn't the automotive industry offer it as a factory option? If you say cost prohibitive, fine but I would think that at least some of the upper tier manufacturers would at least offer it. There has to be a down side.

CR&PW&JB 08-12-2007 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Nimcosi (Post 1686024)
Ok, I have to ask. If the clear bra is such a miracle product why doesn't the automotive industry offer it as a factory option? If you say cost prohibitive, fine but I would think that at least some of the upper tier manufacturers would at least offer it. There has to be a down side.

Probably several reasons, but the one that comes to my mind immediately is this:

1. Not all owners, even those of high-end automobiles, are obsessive about their cars. Probably only 1% of automobile owners want a clearbra. Of the high-end autos only, that percentage might be... oh... I'd say 5 %. Not enough to warrant manufacturer's going to the trouble of offering it.

That, and maybe they're hoping to get some extra $ for repairing chips and dings. :wink:

jasper2222 08-12-2007 05:07 PM

clear bra over decals

I just got a new hood, etc. with new decals after a auto accident. Can the clear bra be put on over the decals. I don't want to go to the expense of replacing the decal. Thanks, Richard

CR&PW&JB 08-12-2007 05:13 PM

Mine is over the stripes and aesthetically, you can't tell a difference.

The drawback is this: when it comes time to replace the decals on the bonnet, the clearbra is going to need to be removed and replaced. Kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-CHING.

Duck360198 08-12-2007 05:47 PM

Depends on how much driving you do. My car is a daily driver and I regret not getting the clear bra. The highway has eaten up the front end pretty good! I say go for it...well worth the cash!

meh 08-12-2007 05:53 PM

Add me to the list of recommending it; certainly expensive but IMO worth it

earlrabbit 08-12-2007 06:02 PM

Rather that just a blanket recommendation to have it installed, I think it's a good idea providing you get a good quality bra. A few years ago as I was researching having it done, I remember seeing several cars where it had yellowed and it looked terrible. You might want to check into the warranty against yellowing. Sorry I can't remember the brand to stay away from.

IsAMini 08-12-2007 06:52 PM

Didn't get one on the 03 MC but got one on the new 07 MCS 5 days after pick up!!! :nod:

MLPearson79 08-12-2007 06:56 PM

My MINI dealer does offer it - not "factory" installed, but they will do it at the dealership as an option.

Maybe it's NOT offered by many dealers because the sooner your car starts to look "old", the sooner you think you need a new one?

rjtrout2000 08-13-2007 12:19 AM

I have mine and love it! Great for roadsways that ar notorious for rock chips.

RROUNDU 08-13-2007 10:22 AM

I think some dealers don't offer it as an option because when you get those nasty rock chips, you'll have to go buy their pricey touch-up paint. With my suv I've gone through A LOT of touch up paint becasue of all the rock chips. I really wish I had gotten the clear bra on my suv because it's quite easy to pick out all the places where I've had to use the touch-up paint. A couple bottles of touch up paint may be cheaper then the clear bra, but the clear bra will SAVE YOUR PAINT........ :thumbsup:

Loony2N 08-13-2007 10:41 AM

Yep. I'm sure that they won't sell you a $1,000 option, with all that labor mark-up, because they want to sell you an $8 bottle of touch-up once a year. (Not to mention the fact that you can't buy touch up paint from MINI for the new colors if you tried.) But, I am against bras, even if they are clear!