How To Fitting OEM heating elements in Recaro Sportster Seats

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 09:48 AM
vaios
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fitting OEM heating elements in Recaro Sportster Seats

First of all I would like to remind you that the car had heated seats before so all the available equipment existed in the car… I just swapped my heating elements from the cooper s sport seats into the new recaro’s which didn’t have that option…

The real pain in the @ss is taking out the heating blankets from the OEM seats… 4 Torx screws bolt each seat in the car
Disconnect the Yellow connector under the seat by pulling the black tab on the side of the connector.(#8 part as depicted) REMEMBER: DON’T forget to disconnect the negative pole from the battery (Once you unplug the connections under the seat you will get Airbag light which requires a proper scan tool or dealer to erase the fault)
There are two heat blankets in each seat…. The lower and the upper which is bigger. They both connect in the same module (Heating Module).
Pull off #5 gently
Unscrew 2 torx bolts inside that hold part #4 .There is another torx screw that holds #2 in the back.( The “copilot’s” seat has an airbag sensor which has to be taken and fitted over the heating blanket in the new seat (which most of you have already done if you know what I mean)).

Old 12-26-2013, 05:11 AM
vaios
1st Gear
Here comes the pain….:smash::smash:. To take out the seat cover you should unclip every golden ring that holds it in place….You can unclip them by using a special tool or with my way using pliers and a screw driver… don’t ask me how…I leave it in your imagination..
When you finish take the heating element smoothly off the seat because it is attached to it with double sided tape. You are finished with the bottom… Now do everything backwards and feel the pain in your fingers and the temper rising as it’s double the efford to clip the golden rings back to the original form.( proceed to that step only if you want to sell your OEM seats as non-heated)else…dump them f@cked up in the warehouse!:-)

The upper part needs to unscrew 2 torx bolts located in #6 (under the grip)
Then you pull gently the plastic back from the upper part (under the headrest) to unclip the back of the seat.
The lumbar support mechanism has a cable…In order to relax the cable’s tension you should unclip #3 part. When you disengage the cable from #3 part you pull the lumbar support **** (#4 part). I suggest you should not go from the airbag side for obvious reasons.
So again you pull off the seat cover, unclipping the bloody golden rings, getting the heating element gently out from the double sided tape. Your done with it…. Clean up the mess you made, join everything back…(it took me 6 hours pulling the heating blankets out, with the OEM seats back to perfect condition!)*

So now you are there with 2 heating modules, 4 heating blankets(H.B) and 2 Recaros begging you to spare their lives….as the screw driver shines across the evening breeze (cut the crup men)!::getcoat::

Old 12-26-2013, 05:12 AM
vaios
1st Gear
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Suddenly you realize how simple can a Recaro be….
I chose to use the upper H.B as a bottom H.B in the recaro’s due to it’s larger surface….
For the bottom seat
Pull off the clips that hold the leather into the backet….It has some rails that clip the seat cover to the backet, unclip them using a screwdriver…Put the H.B reasuring that you left the cable (coming from the blanket) on the backside of the seat). You can use two sided duct tape to keep the H.B’s in place. Use the reverse way to close everything back inside.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:13 AM
vaios
1st Gear
For the upper part of the seat
Fold the seat forward. At the back of the seat you can see a point where the fabric goes inside the back of the seat…Using your fingers pull the fabric done until it unclips…this may be a little difficult but there is nothing that can break so just try to pull it off…. After that there is nothing that keeps the fabric except the rails that we said earlier. (There is a possibillity of trimming the H.B but you should be sure you don’t cut the wiring that’s scattered iside the H.B and can only be seen using light.

Estimated work …. 10 hours without the beers….
So calm down and get the beers in…. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
I hope I helped….thanks for watching….
Vaios Liakos:thumbup1: