How To Navigation Screen Scratch Fix

Old 09-12-2013, 11:10 AM
04_Indi_Mini_S
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Navigation Screen Scratch Fix

If you have a Mini with navigation, you may have a screen that looks awful. If it is purple color with what looks like odd scratches and wear, your anti-glare coating has been damaged.

There are two choices. You can live with it, or you can remove the coating. Removing the coating makes the screen more reflective, but I personally found it to be a non-issue and like the way it looks better than a scratched up screen anyway.

To correctly accomplish the coating removal you will need to pull the center dash apart and pull out the navigation unit. If you don’t remove the unit, you will not be able to get into the corners. Pulling the dash apart is well documented, so I will start further in. Remove the navigation from the car by unscrewing the screws that go in the blue circles. After pulling the unit, remove the black cover by unscrewing the 4 screws in the red circles

You now have full access to the screen.

To remove the coating, you can use a mild to light polishing compound. Don’t use a heavy compound or you will permanently scratch the screen. I used Chemical guys v36 for reference. Polish from the edges first since they will be less worn and take more polishing to remove the coating. Go easy using light pressure so you don’t break the screen. When you are finished and put everything back together, this is what you will have.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:57 AM
04_Indi_Mini_S
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I was made aware that the images are not showing up. I tried quickly fixing them before needing to leave. Until I can get back to fix them, here is a link to the guide I put together on an external site.

Navigation Screen Coating Fix

Old 12-06-2016, 12:06 PM
HasAnMTBProblem
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Hmmm, interesting. Has anyone tried recoating the screen with spray-on anti-glare coating?