How To Carbon Build-Up Cleaning - The right way...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 10:50 PM
1bigpea
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome write up! Great "How To", I'm impressed!

Old 09-24-2012, 06:52 PM
texasmontego
4th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
I'm glad others can use the directions. I've got a few other ideas for technical docs/how-to's. The next ones will include a lot more photos.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:12 PM
eagleclaw
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the best idiot prof instructions. haha
let me know what else you're write up.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:01 AM
Boosted_Mini
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
At 103k miles I am going to try to tackle this. Have been tuned for about 40k now so hoping to see a nice increase afterwards.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:13 PM
mslatter
4th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Great instructions! Could you please add the 10mm bolt to the main doc, though? Took me an hour to figure out on my own. Part of the problem is that the instructions are so good, I just figured they were totally complete, so I must have done something wrong.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:00 PM
mslatter
4th Gear
Oh, and everyone, please take seriously the warning on eye protection and that the air gun is the messy part!!! I just shot black gunk EVERYWHERE. Thank god I didn't get any in my eye. Even where it hit my hand burns a little. Carb cleaner is some caustic stuff.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:49 PM
mslatter
4th Gear
Again, thanks for the awesome instructions. Here's a link to my thread where I could not get my MINI to start after doing the cleaning, including my pointers for not repeating what I think I did wrong.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-cleaning.html

Old 12-13-2012, 08:26 AM
texasmontego
4th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
I think i might be changing the instructions to an easier process. I purchased the media blaster attachments that the dealership uses to blast the valves with walnut shells. Just waiting for them to arrive.
I just bought the attachments so i will need to build the other parts to hook up to a compressor and the blaster.
I noticed my valves are getting coated up again and its only been about 15k miles.
I will post updates once everything comes in.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:40 AM
Jvsenerth
1st Gear
Can this be used as a general direction skeleton for an r50? I have some free time this week and my mini could definitely use a carbon cleaning as it has ~109k miles on the tach

Old 12-24-2012, 05:05 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Carbon buildup isn't a problem on fist generation MINIs.

Dave

Old 12-29-2012, 09:25 PM
timwu13
3rd Gear
just wondering, but will the intake manifold gasket need to be replaced when putting it back on?

Old 01-09-2013, 12:07 AM
Context
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
texasmontego Did you find the BMW style nozzle for the media blaster? If so, would you share the source? I have looked all over the web but no luck in finding one so skinny and curved. Thanks in advance. And thanks for the great tutorial.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:49 PM
Pat Yates
Neutral
Just a quick tip for rotating an engine when you can't easily access the crank nose. Only works with a manual transmission though. Put the transmission in anything above 4th gear with clutch out and the brakes off, car on a relatively smooth surface, and just grab the upper surface of one of the front tires and roll the car backwards or forwards by turning the wheel with muscle. It's actually easy and you get pretty good control of the engine's rotation. OH!!! Make sure the ignition is off too!

Pat

Old 01-17-2013, 12:14 PM
yamaximka
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Gil-galad
Excellent write-up. Appreciate your service to the community.

Was the $250 dealer method the glorified BMW-brand Seafoam soak, or was it the walnut blaster? If the latter, I'm somewhat surprised it was so ineffective (but probably not, as I think they charge quite a bit more for the walnut blaster service).
Just went to dealer few days ago: walnut clean up is 800 plus tax

Old 01-21-2013, 07:24 AM
csmitty
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Pat Yates
Just a quick tip for rotating an engine when you can't easily access the crank nose. Only works with a manual transmission though. Put the transmission in anything above 4th gear with clutch out and the brakes off, car on a relatively smooth surface, and just grab the upper surface of one of the front tires and roll the car backwards or forwards by turning the wheel with muscle. It's actually easy and you get pretty good control of the engine's rotation. OH!!! Make sure the ignition is off too!

Pat
Trying to get a good idea of how to turn over the N14 with an auto without getting to the crank. I have a starter switch but thinking it will just cause it to keep turning over instead of just bumping it. Would have all the ignition and fuel disabled as well.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:15 PM
Fastlane
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Thank you to the OP and others who contributed here. I used a combination of the manual and walnut shell method. I say that because my carbon buildup was so bad that the blast would not remove it all. Car was running ok, just rough and lacking power. No wonder. This is approx 80k miles on an 08 MCS.....had to chip off chunks with a pick prior to blasting....

Drivers side....side closest to Pcv entry....
Name:  IMAG1479_zpsbe94c6da.jpg
Views: 9100
Size:  30.3 KB
Same valve close up on my inspection cam.....chunky.
Name:  IMAG1484_zpse1107878.jpg
Views: 9060
Size:  64.9 KB
The other three....
Name:  IMAG1481_zps91ce9cdd.jpg
Views: 9064
Size:  19.6 KB
Name:  IMAG1482_zps1fb64219.jpg
Views: 9179
Size:  18.5 KB
Name:  IMAG1483_zps56966224.jpg
Views: 9002
Size:  15.2 KB

Test drive after cleaning revealed power I have been missing for some time. Wow! Drastic improvement! Time well spent.

Thanks again.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:39 PM
Herm
Neutral
Thanks for the PDF, very clear. I completed my clean up and started up without any issues, a little rough at first but then ran fine. After a quick test drive, the throttle revs at idle. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what is causing this?

Old 04-21-2013, 12:50 PM
ALIENLOVE
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Herm
Thanks for the PDF, very clear. I completed my clean up and started up without any issues, a little rough at first but then ran fine. After a quick test drive, the throttle revs at idle. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what is causing this?
Mine did it because of a bad thermostat.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:28 AM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Here's a DIY for doing your own walnut blasting:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ss-3-27-13.pdf

Old 05-23-2013, 04:05 PM
Mini Manchester
1st Gear
Unhappy Great write up ...butttt

Great write up and very detailed. Is this the best way to clean away any carbon build up? My engine started to judder recently (after messing around with the spark plugs) and judders really bad when trying to accelerate on low revs/higher gear and it's doing my head in. Something else I noticed was that when the car is in idle, it sits on around 700rpm and its really scaring me! Any help would be appreciated. Not sure where to post this message but great write up and thanks for the info already

Old 05-23-2013, 08:43 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Walnut shell blasting is the preferred method and the method the dealers use. Here in the States the cost is about $800! Walnut shells are hard enough to remove the build up but will not harm the aluminum intake surfaces to the valves.

Is your MINI a second generation (2007 or later for hatchback)? Carbon build up is not a problem with first generation MINIs. It is a problem with direct injected engines.

Some have reported misfiring and error codes from carbon build up but for most it is a gradual loss of power and sluggish throttle response.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:00 PM
Mini Manchester
1st Gear
Originally Posted by gawannamini
Walnut shell blasting is the preferred method and the method the dealers use. Here in the States the cost is about $800! Walnut shells are hard enough to remove the build up but will not harm the aluminum intake surfaces to the valves.

Is your MINI a second generation (2007 or later for hatchback)? Carbon build up is not a problem with first generation MINIs. It is a problem with direct injected engines.

Some have reported misfiring and error codes from carbon build up but for most it is a gradual loss of power and sluggish throttle response.
Sure. With regards to my problem though I thi k it's something to do with my coils OR pressure loss in one of my cylinders. But yes it's an R56 mini cooper non S.. hatch 2007. I created a new thread regarding my specific problem. You could read my story if you feel like you're interested in a puzzling story! Just search for "Serious Engine juddering"

Anyway thanks again for the information dude

Old 12-23-2013, 07:10 PM
BC_Rob
2nd Gear
Help!

Where exactly is that 10mm bolt?

Rob

is
Originally Posted by irontree
There are a couple of things that need to be added.
First there is a 10mm bolt on the bottom of the manifold that has to be removed before it can be taken out. The best way to get to it is to remove the pass side tire. This also allows access to the crank shaft bolt. Using a 18 mm socket the engine can be turned over with a ratchet instead of using the starter to bump the engine.
Second there are 3 wiring holders that need to be released before the intake can be removed.

Getting the correct brush to do the job will make job easier.
My throttle body didnt need to be cleaned.
If I had to do it again it would be much quicker the second time.
The hardest part was the 10mm bolt that i didnt know about. Once that was removed the intake came out easy.
The car seems to run better, pulls and revs better.
Thanks for the guide it helped alot.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:14 PM
BC_Rob
2nd Gear
Found it!

Originally Posted by bc_rob
where exactly is that 10mm bolt?

Rob

is

Old 12-24-2013, 06:36 PM
BC_Rob
2nd Gear
Well, my valves are now clean but the car won't start. Tries to turnover but it just won't go. Could I have screwed the timing by moving the crank clockwise with a wrench? I know the valves were closed while I was blasting with walnut shells.
Any thoughts?

Rob

Quick Reply: How To Carbon Build-Up Cleaning - The right way...