How To Electrical :: Boost Tube Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 07:22 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by richi0207
I am sorry, the CEL read was p1142, it was a typo. Only symptons are turbo works for first few seconds and then doesnt spool up anymore. I replaced the turbo inlet hose with the OEM one and the tube that goes to IC back to OEM and still same CEL. I cannot replace the TB side tube back to OEM because I had already trimmed down the crossover tube. I rechecked that tube for leaks and no-leak. Should this be an actual o2 sensor problem
P1152

O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
that can be covered under warranty? I am deeply concerned because I been trying to get help since sunday and this is my daily driver. I have been hitching family cars temporarily and I need a solution ASAP. If its a dealer problem, would I have warranty issues with the boost tubes? And also would this cause the problem with the turbo not spooling like shouldnt I get a CEL for that?
Thanks
Couple things. You say you have been trying to get help since Sunday; Have you called our offices? We would be MORE than willing to help you. Also, it would be best to e-mail or PM me your contact information so we can continue this off forum. I tend to agree that these issues are NOT related to the aftermarket products, but we need to be sure.

The turbo is still spooling, but the ECU is opening up the bypass valve and venting any pressure. Thus lowering the power output of the motor.

Lets get together today via phone and e-mail to get this resolved. It would not appear the boost tubes have any relation to the problem.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:47 AM
richi0207
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alright thanks for the reply Adam. I do believe boost tubes have nothing to do with this since I tried the OEM ones and same problem. I spoke to Jeff and he told me possible causes and reasons of everything, but I am available to call around 3pm or after because of work. I will call around 3:30pm to hopefuly be able to speak to you to see if there are any other explanations other than Jeff's.
Thanks

Old 04-26-2008, 08:02 AM
TBMINI
2nd Gear
Adam is there anyway you could post up somw picks of the entire engine bay? I just curious of what it all looks like

thanks
tyler

Old 04-26-2008, 02:56 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by TBMINI
Adam is there anyway you could post up somw picks of the entire engine bay? I just curious of what it all looks like

thanks
tyler
I will take a few photos of LLoyd ASAP, Howard is long gone now. But I FULLY understand the idea!

Chat in a few!

Old 05-01-2009, 04:00 PM
john171
3rd Gear
Adam, finally got to install the Alta Boost Tube Long/Hot R56 / R55 AMP-ENG-352 in my R56 car ran better at least it seemed to on it's first/second and third test drives afterwards. Didn't feel any diff in the low end but it kicks out in 2nd and 3rd you can feel it.
The Long tube seemed a bit shorter than the OEM unit, was quite a struggle to get it over the lip of the Turbo intake port.
Your instructions and pictures made it doable. May want to add to your instructions that using an 18" flexible extension connected to a cordless impact driver for the torx screw, a T25 btw, holding the muffler in place saves the day. I could not get my hands up in there no matter how many contortions I put my body through
Am now in looking at ordering the Alta Boost Tube Short/Cold R56 / R55 AMP-ENG-351 and I have a question about the need to trim the crossover tube on earlier cars it may NOT need to be trimmed, on later production models (like mine) I had to trim about 1” off the crossover tube. What is the break point 'tween "earlier' and "later"?
Mine has a man date of 5/07.
Thanks,
John

Old 05-01-2009, 04:02 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
what is a crossover tube?

Old 05-01-2009, 04:17 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by john171
Adam, finally got to install the Alta Boost Tube Long/Hot R56 / R55 AMP-ENG-352 in my R56 car ran better at least it seemed to on it's first/second and third test drives afterwards. Didn't feel any diff in the low end but it kicks out in 2nd and 3rd you can feel it.
The Long tube seemed a bit shorter than the OEM unit, was quite a struggle to get it over the lip of the Turbo intake port.
Your instructions and pictures made it doable. May want to add to your instructions that using an 18" flexible extension connected to a cordless impact driver for the torx screw, a T25 btw, holding the muffler in place saves the day. I could not get my hands up in there no matter how many contortions I put my body through
Am now in looking at ordering the Alta Boost Tube Short/Cold R56 / R55 AMP-ENG-351 and I have a question about the need to trim the crossover tube on earlier cars it may NOT need to be trimmed, on later production models (like mine) I had to trim about 1” off the crossover tube. What is the break point 'tween "earlier' and "later"?
Mine has a man date of 5/07.
Thanks,
John

Hi John,

Thank you for you post! If the hot side was that tight, it might be a bit too short. Shoot me a few pics if you can to adam.taft@altaperformance.com and I will check it out. If it is too short I will get you a new one ASAP!

Glad the instructions helped and I appreciate (as will others) any new ways to skin the cat of getting that in and out that saves the skin on the knuckles!

On the cold side. The cross over tube from the Sound Gen to the boost tube might need to be shortened a bit. If so it is just an exacto knife necessary to do so. You could also simply plug the hole or even better but in an ALTA BOV kit!

Keep me posted!

Thanks again!

Old 05-01-2009, 08:28 PM
john171
3rd Gear
Adam thanks for the quick response!
I was able to get the Boost tube installed by connecting the top first, with the lack of maneuvering room around the coolant overflow it was easier to get that one in while the entire tube was loose and easier to get into place. Then doing the lower end where I could grab and pull to slide the tube over the sleeve. The lower edge of the tube was about 3/8 to 1/2 inch short of the bottom edge of the tube. Since I could get my right hand in to grab up about where the muffler was on the OEM tube then pulling down while coaxing the tube over the sleeve I was able to get it to slide on then tighten the hose clamp. My only concern, and it is a small one, is that the tube may not be seated against the stop on the sleeve, hard to tell in such tight spaces. Having said all that, when the lower hose clamp was tight I could see the "bump" in the tube caused by the rim of the sleeve, if that makes sense, so as I said it's not much of a concern.
I will see about getting you some pictures but unless I put it back up on the ramps it will not work.
I'll see when I can do that.
Oh and the R56 OEM Boost tube muffler only had one screw holding it in place, thank "the Gods".
John

Old 05-12-2009, 02:53 PM
john171
3rd Gear
Cold Case

Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
Hi John,

Glad the instructions helped and I appreciate (as will others) any new ways to skin the cat of getting that in and out that saves the skin on the knuckles!

On the cold side. The cross over tube from the Sound Gen to the boost tube might need to be shortened a bit. If so it is just an exacto knife necessary to do so. You could also simply plug the hole or even better but in an ALTA BOV kit!

Keep me posted!

Thanks again!
Adam,

Cold side short boost tube installed today. Thought I'd take a chance and pull the stock unit out before the Alta tube got here, UPS is always here before noon and it was on the truck "Out for delivery".
So, I go ahead and tear into the project, glad I got the early start since it turned out to be quite the sweat generator, After 2 hours or so, I walked away a lot , we start waiting for UPS to make our day...to make a long story a bit shorter, he never arrived until after 3PM EST
Getting the new tube on was definitely easier than removing the stock unit. Took about an hour or so but it sure is worth it. We now have the three Alta tubes installed. Have some pics will try to post to my gallery later this eve.
Have a couple of hints for others planning to do this one last upgrade:
Be patient, very patient and wear those mechanics gloves, they saved my hands several times today.
I could not get enough leverage on the lower end of the OEM tube to release it from the throttle body, so I ended up removing the upper rubber section from the middle plastic section. Requires pulling a spring clip out first, then turning the elbow counter-clockwise with a slight pull up. This gave me clear access to the inside if the tube, then it was possible to push down using a short section of 1" X 2" X 12" wood. This allowed me to really apply pressure on the tube without getting my fingers/hands pinned. All this of course after loosening the hose clamps. The lowest clamp was really giving me fits since it was "welded" to the underside of the tube and refused to let go, it wasn't until the unit was out that it let loose.
Putting everything back together went very well and was also very satisfying!
It's been a long time since I'd done any serious (read more than change the oil ) fact is was back on my '68 Mustang that we tricked out with...well, that's a story for another day and site, point is the Mini brings back that joy, and bruised knuckles, and most of all options.
So Adam, I guess the next step will be the CAI, saving my pennies as we speak!

Thanks for the great Alta products, and all your great DIY help guides!

Last edited by john171; 05-12-2009 at 07:42 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:40 PM
coopman7
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by richi0207
Alright thanks for the reply Adam. I do believe boost tubes have nothing to do with this since I tried the OEM ones and same problem. I spoke to Jeff and he told me possible causes and reasons of everything, but I am available to call around 3pm or after because of work. I will call around 3:30pm to hopefuly be able to speak to you to see if there are any other explanations other than Jeff's.
Thanks
A good thing to check is your main earth connection as a bad earth can result in the behaviour you describe.. Ive circled its location in red, its under where there tps on the boost pipe is and can be accessed in the direction of the red arrow :
http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/q...ksIntake-1.jpg

Old 05-14-2009, 03:43 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
^^^ good info!

Old 08-19-2009, 07:01 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Quick bump for some new members!