seafoaming

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 01:21 AM
808R53
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
seafoaming

Went on U-tube on how to seafoam an R 53.
All I saw was smoke coming out of the exhaust.
Can someone please give me the step by step on how to do it.
What are the negative & positive of seafoam?

Old 11-02-2014, 11:12 AM
808R53
3rd Gear
Figured it out. Used the whole can, waited 45 mins, started car, blew out a lot of white smoke for a good 5 mins.
kept the rpm at about 2-3 K till it cleared, took it for a drive around the block a couple times.
Feels a lot more torque : )
Now to change the oil.

Last edited by 808R53; 11-02-2014 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:36 PM
mini yellow-haa!
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aloha 808r53, I'm as well planning to do the seafoam stuff on my r53 due to misfiring. Will you share how did you do it on step by step basis. Thanks.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:17 PM
808R53
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mini yellow-haa!
Aloha 808r53, I'm as well planning to do the seafoam stuff on my r53 due to misfiring. Will you share how did you do it on step by step basis. Thanks.
U-tube "seafoaming a first-gen MINI COOPER S R53"

What they didn't tell you is drive your car for 30 min. till your motor is nice and hot,
1. Remove your PCV valve rubber hose that's on the left of your valve cove.
2. Then I put a whole can of seafoam in a CLEAN gatorade 32oz bottle.
3. Let the PCV valve rubber hose start sipping on the seafoam SLOWLY till there's nothing left.(it will bog a little)
4. Wait for an hour.
5. Start your R53 and let the smoke show begin, after that's done drive your mini around till
everything is clear. You should feel some difference.
6. Make sure to change your oil within a couple days, I change mines right after a couple of miles of driving.
Good luck!! ....... let us know the outcome.

So you too have a yellow R53 lol

Last edited by 808R53; 11-30-2014 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:37 PM
808R53
3rd Gear
Btw, try changing your plugs & wires, go to Hawaii imports parts 591-2882
that is where I get all my maintenance parts their Oem SPEC.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:54 AM
mini yellow-haa!
2nd Gear
Thanks man! I'll try doing seafoam this weekend or not next week. My 5k miles oil change is coming due pretty soon so It'll be perfect time anyway do u know some place that carries the oil filter? Last time i bought it online and obviously napa oreilly doesn't really stock those stuff of a mini or they will order and have it in later time.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:59 AM
mini yellow-haa!
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 808R53

Btw, try changing your plugs & wires, go to Hawaii imports parts 591-2882
that is where I get all my maintenance parts their Oem SPEC.
I have changed spark plugs/ wires and coil pack couple months ago. Again parts online. Although the coil pack wasn't really the exact fit but I managed to drill the holes wider to fit the oem bolts.

Old 11-15-2014, 01:20 AM
808R53
3rd Gear
Thanks man! I'll try doing seafoam this weekend or not next week. My 5k miles oil change is coming due pretty soon so It'll be perfect time anyway do u know some place that carries the oil filter? Last time i bought it online and obviously napa oreilly doesn't really stock those stuff of a mini or they will order and have it in later time.
Hawaii imports parts 591-2882 That is where I get all my maintenance parts. They specialize in European parts.
Don't forget about the oil drain PLUG. There on the corner of Ward ave. & Ilaniwai st. Across Sports Authority ( in town).
Also put a can of seafoam in your gas-tank fill it up with premium gas and run it till your low on gas.

Last edited by 808R53; 11-15-2014 at 01:31 AM.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:41 AM
mini yellow-haa!
2nd Gear
Geez I just fill up my gas tank. That's alright I'll get the maint. parts first. Do i have to put seafoam in the pcv valve and gas tank the same time?

Old 11-21-2014, 06:57 PM
BigGunz
2nd Gear
Do i have to put seafoam in the pcv valve and gas tank the same time?
Run your gas down to one tick mark before empty. Then add Seafoam. 1\3 PCV, 1/3 gas tank, and 1/3 for crankcase (where you add oil). Fill up and change oil next time you need gas. It's also very helpful to read the side of the container :-P

Also, you really shouldn't Seafoam with new plugs. Think about where everything you're cleaning goes...on the plugs. Do it immediately before changing your plugs.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:01 PM
mini yellow-haa!
2nd Gear
Aloha Bigunz, thanks for the explanation. I still haven't done my seafoaming all yet. My main concern for now is my very bad wheel alignment due to a bad struts and mushrooming. I see that you mentioned you're able to work on this cars. I also love to get my hands on dirty but only the basic stuffs. I have watched a lot of diy's for this cars and that's how I get to know more about my mini. Though I think you also can do a lot more may I ask you if you can do a suspension job for my car. Just to let you know I have a mechanic and he does it in his garage, but the last time he sarcasm about not really wanting to work on a mini car just because the way it's been made is just odd. Anyway let me if you're comfortable with and lets discuss a bit more later. Thanks and safe motoring!

Old 11-22-2014, 08:45 PM
BigGunz
2nd Gear
Aloha Bigunz, thanks for the explanation. I still haven't done my seafoaming all yet. My main concern for now is my very bad wheel alignment due to a bad struts and mushrooming. I see that you mentioned you're able to work on this cars. I also love to get my hands on dirty but only the basic stuffs. I have watched a lot of diy's for this cars and that's how I get to know more about my mini. Though I think you also can do a lot more may I ask you if you can do a suspension job for my car. Just to let you know I have a mechanic and he does it in his garage, but the last time he sarcasm about not really wanting to work on a mini car just because the way it's been made is just odd. Anyway let me if you're comfortable with and lets discuss a bit more later. Thanks and safe motoring!
Sending you a PM.

Sent from my Droid Mini using NAMotoring

Old 11-30-2014, 12:17 AM
mini yellow-haa!
2nd Gear
(Bad news). Did my seafoaming today... Did it twice because I did wrong the first time with the pcv, I put the seafoam in the pcv itself supposed to be on the hose.. I got confused from the oil catch can connected to the pcv. No smoke at all. Did the oil change right after. Not satisfied I did again this afternoon on the I think right hose but to no avail.. No smoke again.. Get mad I did with the other hose and voila super black smoke. Drove it around the block runs better, smooth. And heres the bad news... All of a sudden the clutch went low almost to floor, I can hear/feel squeeking, grinding when I press the clutch almost impossible to shift. Damn this one looks serious!!! I need help you guys! I just hope its not the clutch like the one's you have to tear apart the trans. Sad sad sad day:(

Old 11-30-2014, 01:07 AM
BigGunz
2nd Gear
(Bad news). And heres the bad news... All of a sudden the clutch went low almost to floor, I can hear/feel squeeking, grinding when I press the clutch almost impossible to shift. Damn this one looks serious!!! I need help you guys! I just hope its not the clutch like the one's you have to tear apart the trans. Sad sad sad day:(
With the limited amount of information, it sounds as if your slave cylinder and possibly release (throwout) bearing need replacing. Have someone push in your clutch while you check to see if the slave cylinder piston is moving in and out. Also, turn off the car, engage e-brake and try shifting gears w/o the clutch. That should answer the question as to whether it's the slave and/or release bearing.

I'm no "professional" so that is my best guess. Hope it's helpful.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:29 AM
WrenchMonkey
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BigGunz
Run your gas down to one tick mark before empty. Then add Seafoam. 1\3 PCV, 1/3 gas tank, and 1/3 for crankcase (where you add oil). Fill up and change oil next time you need gas. It's also very helpful to read the side of the container :-P

Also, you really shouldn't Seafoam with new plugs. Think about where everything you're cleaning goes...on the plugs. Do it immediately before changing your plugs.
Which is exactly why I keep my OLD plugs. Before I use seafoam I always switch the plugs out so my new ones stay "pristine". I try to seafoam every other oil change.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:50 AM
mini yellow-haa!
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by BigGunz

With the limited amount of information, it sounds as if your slave cylinder and possibly release (throwout) bearing need replacing. Have someone push in your clutch while you check to see if the slave cylinder piston is moving in and out. Also, turn off the car, engage e-brake and try shifting gears w/o the clutch. That should answer the question as to whether it's the slave and/or release bearing.

I'm no "professional" so that is my best guess. Hope it's helpful.

I will check on that. Does the throwout bearing easy (diy) thingy?

Old 11-30-2014, 10:55 AM
mini yellow-haa!
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by WrenchMonkey

Which is exactly why I keep my OLD plugs. Before I use seafoam I always switch the plugs out so my new ones stay "pristine". I try to seafoam every other oil change.
Yeah I did exactly the same thing. Put in back the old plugs on cold engine. (^_^)

Old 11-30-2014, 11:08 AM
BigGunz
2nd Gear

I will check on that. Does the throwout bearing easy (diy) thingy?
Absolutely NOT! Very labor intensive. Go to Pelican Parts online and read through their DIY. That's what I have to do to mine soon because my clutch is slipping. It's more difficult due to the fact that our cars have a transaxle. Rear wheel drive vehicles are easier and faster.

Old 11-30-2014, 11:12 AM
mini yellow-haa!
2nd Gear
Also, turn off the car, engage e-brake and try shifting gears w/o the clutch. That should answer the question as to whether it's the slave and/or release bearing.
I'm able to shift following this. What it should be?

Old 11-30-2014, 11:20 AM
BigGunz
2nd Gear
Also, turn off the car, engage e-brake and try shifting gears w/o the clutch. That should answer the question as to whether it's the slave and/or release bearing.
Did you have someone push the clutch pedal in while you watch the slave cylinder? If that doesn't move then it's probably the problem. Otherwise, it's more than likely you're release bearing. How many miles do you have on your car?

Old 11-30-2014, 12:28 PM
mini yellow-haa!
2nd Gear
[QUOTE="BigGunz;4018394"]

Did you have someone push the clutch pedal in while you watch the slave cylinder? If that doesn't move then it's probably the problem. Otherwise, it's more than likely you're release bearing. How many miles do you have on your car?
Miles on the car is nearly to 90k. I haven't check underneath with the slave cylinder yet. I'll report back right after when I'm able. Anyway I'm curious about the shifting without pressing the clutch. Does it suppose to shift or it shouldn't?

Old 11-30-2014, 02:46 PM
mini yellow-haa!
2nd Gear
Okay. I have checked all this prior to clutch problem: clutch master/slave no leaks, slave does move/play when the clutch been pressed. Turned the car on, pressed on the clutch theres a loud screeching sound and grinding feel on the pedal. The car would shift and moves forward like everything is normal. Must be?? If anything like the throwout bearing, thrust bearing, plates or in any case clutch replacement how much would be the cost parts+labor most likely? Anybody would recommend me who can do this shop or anybody that knows mini. Thank you.

Old 11-30-2014, 06:44 PM
BigGunz
2nd Gear
If anything like the throwout bearing, thrust bearing, plates or in any case clutch replacement how much would be the cost parts+labor most likely? Anybody would recommend me who can do this shop or anybody that knows mini. Thank you.
I bought this on Ebay and paid $370. Cost me $420 total though because of Hawaii (one of the reasons I hate buying online here in Hawaii but still cheaper than buying local): For 2002-2008 Mini Cooper "S" Model 1.6L 4cyl OEM Valeo Clutch Flywheel Kit NEW; also known as a conversion kit.

It comes with the single mass flywheel, pressure plate, clutch disc, release bearing, bolts for flywheel to crank shaft, bolts for pressure plate to flywheel and the 14 spline clutch alignment tool.

I also bought some ancillary parts from Pelican Parts since I've have things apart anyway. May as well replace some of the wear items while I have it broken down shotgun style. I've been putting it off because it doesn't seem like an easy job. It can be done in a garage however, I'm going to use the Auto Skills Center on base while they're still open.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:14 PM
BigGunz
2nd Gear
Being able to shift the gearbox through each gear without the clutch while the engine isn't running is normal. The purpose of the release bearing is to disengage the clutch disk from the flywheel while the engine is running in order for the gear to be changed within the gearbox. Otherwise the gearbox would be torn to shreds. Which is why the gears grind when you miss a gear or try to shift without the clutch (this is not desirable obviously).

Old 11-30-2014, 09:47 PM
808R53
3rd Gear
[QUOTE=mini yellow-haa!;4018451]Okay. I have checked all this prior to clutch problem: clutch master/slave no leaks, slave does move/play when the clutch been pressed. Turned the car on, pressed on the clutch theres a loud screeching sound and grinding feel on the pedal. The car would shift and moves forward like everything is normal. Must be?? If anything like the throwout bearing, thrust bearing, plates or in any case clutch replacement how much would be the cost parts+labor most likely? Anybody would recommend me who can do this shop or anybody that knows mini. Thank you.[

Went on pelicanparts, found someone who had the same problem as you it was his t/o bearing.
MINIHUNE has an '03 mcs like yours that he takes to a shop in Mililani Mauka, try
messaging him. Hope your mini's back on road soon.

Quick Reply: seafoaming