MINI of Hawaii - ENOUGH!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 02:09 AM
Latka
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had it. I am thoroughly fed up with this dealership, the service, and the car we purchased.

Many of you know that both Allison and I are quite the Mini enthusiasts. We own a 1964 Austin Mini Cooper S, a 1971 Mini, and our 2002 MINI Cooper S. We were very excited to own a new MINI, and went down to MINI of Hawaii on the 2nd day they were open to purchase one. ... it would have been the first day, but we got there after they had closed.

Alli took delivery of our car in August of 2002. She was so excited to get it that she actually went down to the docks to see the car right after it had come off the boat! The first several months of ownership were great - the MINI was looking like it was going to be everything that they had promised.

(The following dates and events are from memory only. If need be, I will look it up and correct them)

Our first glitch came in early 2003. We were having a problem with one of the tail light assemblies filling up with water. Took the car in and got the assembly replaced. While we were at it, we thought we'd have the oil changed as it was on the low side.

Picked the car up shortly thereafter. A short time later, the oil "idiot light" came on. We thought it was odd that the oil light would come on right after having the oil changed, so we went back to the dealership and spoke with a "motoring advisor" (Tony Leonardo I believe). He said he thought the oil was low and added some. We drove off, thinking the problem was solved.

The next day, the oil light came back on. We were pretty upset at this point and drove straight to the dealership instead of doing what we had planned for the day. The service department wanted to have the car for a bit so they could try to track down the problem. Good - keep it and make sure it's fixed...

We got a call from the Service department a while later. I believe it was at least a few days, possibly as long as a week. They drained and refilled the oil, but could not duplicate our problem. (At that point, the oil light would seemingly come on at random periods...while sitting at a light, sometimes while decelerating, etc. Couldn't really find a pattern). So - the service department says that they could not duplicate the problem. Seeing that they drained the oil and refilled it to the required amount we hoped that things would be fixed.

Shortly after picking the car up (I believe this was the time on the frickin way home from the dealership)...the light goes on. We are furious at this point. We turn the car back in to the dealership a short time later.

We picked up our car on the evening of the "Italian Job" premier. Alli drove it to the theater, and then to Fisherman's Wharf after the event. While driving around Waikiki ...you guessed it - the oil light comes back on. We turned the car back in the next day.

A period of time passed while the car was in the shop. At the moment I can't recall exactly how long, but I do remember that I picked the car up and then went to get Alli from her job at the Airport. As we left the airport, the light came back on. We drove straight to the dealership. We met with Darrel, and he went to get Rocco Mahoney, the Service Manager. Rocco asked Alli, "So, is this the first time you've had this problem?" I was livid. Here is the service manager, standing in front of us. Our car has been in for service FIVE TIMES FOR THE SAME PROBLEM at this point, and he has no idea who we are? I don't care if BMW of Honolulu is busy - our car was in the damn shop so often he should have recognized the thing by sight!

We left the car at the dealership and with the instructions that they keep it until it was fixed. I believe it was three weeks later that we got a call from Rocco to tell us that they had finally (really) fixed the problem. It turns out that the wiring for the oil light was clamped down too tightly at the factory on a point where it crossed over the bell housing. This was causing a short in the wire, which is exactly what the oil light "looks for" in order to turn on. It was only happening under deceleration and while stopped...cause the wire wasn't grounding itself during acceleration. Anyway - they replaced the wire(s), and we got our car back.

For our extended trouble - I mean, bringing the car in six times for the same problem...it being in the shop for well over a month, our time in driving back and forth, and our frustration, I asked MINI of Hawaii and MINI of North America if they would consider helping us out with a John Cooper Works package for our car. I understand that it was a lot to ask for, but MINI and BMW are such huge companies that they could kick one out the door and not even sneeze about the lost money... plus, it would have fixed us all up and finished the episode - and retained us as very happy customers despite the troubles with the service department. The response from "Aaron" (a MINI of North America service rep) was, "We can give you a $50 gift certificate." Excuse me? A Fifty Dollar gift certificate for all that? Not only did they completely fail to work with us in finding an acceptable level of compensation, they basically slapped us in the face!

We contacted Darrel in the middle of July, 2003 and told him how unhappy we were. Shortly thereafter we had a face-to-face meeting with him to discuss the issue. He reassured us that they (MINI) would work to make things right. It is now the end of December, and we have yet to receive a call from MINI of Hawaii or MINI of North America telling us how they are going to fix our problem. Alli went to the showroom today to speak with Darrel again to let him know that we are not satisfied with the current state of things. She said that she didn't have the nicest of meetings with him, and felt like he was backing off of an alternative solution that he had earlier presented.

We have had a string of totally unacceptable dealings with MINI of Hawaii. The only positive experience we had during this whole evolution was from the sales team - Aka specifically. From the first time we met him to the last time we spoke, he was nothing but fantastic. I found out today that he left the dealership (last month?), but I don't know why other than he moved out of the state.

Rest assured that we will never again buy a new MINI, nor a BMW in this state. As far as we're concerned, the whole MINI marketing campaign and "philosophy" is nothing more than smoke being blown in our face. They've passed up several opportunities to make things right - and now it is too late for us to even want to talk to them about resolving this issue. In the past we've skirted the issue when talking with people...all in hopes that they would fix everything and we could go on being happy MINI owners. Now we will go out of our way to reccomend against dealing with this dealership and brand.

I'm going back to dealing with my 1971 Mini (which is thankfully 100% free of BMW parts and the need to deal with this mind-blowingly-sub-par service department). As of this week, we are actively pursuing several different options to get rid of this MINI as quickly as possible.

I know of a few other people that have gotten rid of their MINIs here in Hawaii - to be fair, I have also met several people on the mainland (and in Canada) with noting but positive things to say about their MINI experiences. It's just a shame that we only have one dealership to choose from on Oahu.

So - to you, the MINI enthusiast, I bid you a warm aloha. I met many fantastic people who were associated with the new MINI, and I'm going to be sad to push that all behind me. With any luck, you'll soon see me...err...hear me blasting around the island in the red '71. You'll get the shaka, the thumbs up, the enthusiastic flash of the high beams and the wave. MINI of Hawaii will get the one finger salute.

-Andy

Old 12-31-2003, 02:25 AM
WestCoastCoopers
Banned
Andy,

Sorry to hear that

Why did you not call a Lemon Lawyer?

Lemon that thing! more than 5 times in for the SAME problem = Lemon in most states.

Get all your $ back

I've read that quite a few owners have done this, specifically with the 2002 builds.

Lemon It

-WCC

Old 12-31-2003, 02:31 AM
Latka
5th Gear
Trust me - the Hawaii State Lemon Law is one of the things we've already checked out. We didn't want to do it back in July because we thought we still wanted the car. Now it is becoming an attractive option.

We're waiting to hear from the dealership on the 5th of January. I'll post something after that.

-Andy

Old 12-31-2003, 02:37 AM
WestCoastCoopers
Banned

I'd contact a lemon attorney immediatly anyhow. The Dealer most likely will not help and they have more to lose when they help you than when MINI takes back the car.

-WCC

Old 12-31-2003, 02:43 AM
mini-t
5th Gear
is this the one finger salute you're looking for?

Old 12-31-2003, 11:21 AM
Latka
5th Gear
That would be the one, T. :smile:

I understand that parts of my message may come across pretty strongly, but please understand that I've been holding my tongue for the better part of a year now in hopes that MINI NA or MINI of Hawaii would really step up and take care of us. MINI has had a humongous ad campaign that bills itself as the friendly car company - yet when push comes to shove we've found it to be just another cold, concrete entity.

Old 12-31-2003, 11:23 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Can you still do lemon law if the oil light problem is fixed now? i.e. no longer the cause of being a lemon?

Latka,
Sorry to hear about this. I know we have not heard from you for a bit.
We always love to see your classic mini so stay in touch.
Aka left for Texas to join his wife and daughter. He is working for a MINI dealership there.
We were sad to see him go but he still owns a home here and plans to visit from time to time.
PM me for further updates. I hope you have a safe Holiday week and have less trouble.

Old 12-31-2003, 11:47 AM
The_Beastmaster
6th Gear
Here ya go. All you wanted to know about the Hawaii Lemon Law. http://mano.icsd.hawaii.gov/dcca/rico/lemonlaw.htm

Andy should have a case if Alli's car was out of service for more than 30 days, which I believe she has already met.

Wait! KeikiLee is having problems with her car too? I thought it was the bad mpg and hopefully the stumble was fixed with v.36 ?

Old 12-31-2003, 12:10 PM
Latka
5th Gear
Beast - thank you for posting the link to the Hawaii site. We'll go over that again to make sure we've got all our duckies in a row.

Oh - and to top all this off, I get a ^%*&(# flat tire in the MINI the other day. Managed to run over a nail in less than 3 miles or something silly like that. Thought the "low tire" gauge was acting up, but this time it was telling the truth - 3.5psi left in the tire, and a few moments later we found the nail. UGH! Nothing worse than having to replace a tire with 7500 miles on it. Tirerack.com has the Goodyear RS-A for $227, MINI of Hawaii (suprise) wanted close to $300, and Goodyear was the shocker - they wanted almost $400 for the same tire! ONE! Needless to say we went with Tire rack.

-Andy

Old 12-31-2003, 12:17 PM
keikilee
5th Gear
Latka.....long time no see here on NAM! So sorry that it has to be this post that brings you back.

I am having on and off problems with my MINI as Beast stated.

I've got a rough idle while sitting at a stop...but not as bad as before.

No stumble (except for once while coming to a stop recently).

Still got one mean yoyo and gas mileage that is not getting much better. I'm just over 1/2 tank right now, and showing that I've traveled only about 90 miles.

I've got a buzzing noice coming from my boot...sounds like my stupid license plate...not the typical "rattle" that others are complaining about.

My "losing power" issues have been resolved since tightening of my battery cables...need I mention that MINI of HI was the last to touch my battery prior to that?

No pinging anymore either....since I've been using the "upper" gas, and not the one that someone at MINI told me I could use.

Other than that, I think my MINI is doing fine. Nothing like what you folks are experiencing. My phone calls don't get returned and my service experiences are poor.....but my MINI has not been serviced as much as you folks, so I really have nothing to complain about.

Good luck with your classics......if you ever see a cosmos black, yoyo-ing, buzzing, rough idling MINI at the gas station....that's probably me filling up my 15mpg tank!

Old 12-31-2003, 12:29 PM
Mark
North American Motoring :: Founder
Everyone,
I just wanted to mention that I have forwarded Latka's issue to my contact at MINI USA. He is MINI's product manager for North America. He has promised to get this in front of their head of Customer Service to see what can be done. While I may not be able to help with everyone's specfic problem always feel free to contact me if you get to the point that you feel that you are not getting anywhere with your dealer when resolving a problem. With documentation I can forward this along into MINI and get something happening. In the end if you get your problem resolved you will be happy and the dealership will be able to generate better customer loyalty going forward by being able to effectively deal with these types of situations.

Happy New Year!

Mark

Old 01-01-2004, 04:10 AM
minihune
Mark,

Thank you for your assistance and we hope that Latka will be able to find some sort of resolution to this ongoing problem. Latka is our local MINI club president. We need some action and soon.

Have a Happy New year to all.

Latka,

Hang in there and lets see what MINI USA says.

Old 01-01-2004, 02:15 PM
The_Beastmaster
6th Gear
Isn't it interesting that latka, mini-t and myself are the ones having problems with our MINIs? I mean mini-t started the Yahoo 808 motoring site for the MINI and latka and I are the MINI Club of Hawaii's President and VP, respectively. Maybe it's a curse of leadership and enthusiasm for the MINI.

Old 01-01-2004, 02:24 PM
Xanthus
Coordinator :: South East - Florida
>>Everyone,
>> I just wanted to mention that I have forwarded Latka's issue to my contact at MINI USA. He is MINI's product manager for North America. He has promised to get this in front of their head of Customer Service to see what can be done. While I may not be able to help with everyone's specfic problem always feel free to contact me if you get to the point that you feel that you are not getting anywhere with your dealer when resolving a problem. With documentation I can forward this along into MINI and get something happening. In the end if you get your problem resolved you will be happy and the dealership will be able to generate better customer loyalty going forward by being able to effectively deal with these types of situations.
>>
>>Happy New Year!
>>
>>Mark

Mark, you da man.

I really hope you get this all sorted out. I feel bad for you all out there knowing that 2 of the best Mini dealerships are within driving distance of me.

I would have been as livid as you were if not worse. I hope thaat Mark's actions bring about a swift and satisfactory resolution for you.

Old 01-01-2004, 02:59 PM
foldinghalo
2nd Gear
Our experience with the service dept hasn't been the most pleasant either. Nothing like yours but not as good as Tony Honda (where the other car is serviced). My wife lost her keys, a nice $310 mistake, and that's not even including the replacement MINI key ring!

We love the car and are very understanding about minor niggling problems but nevertheless the service dept definitely needs improvement. Tony always calls after a service for customer feedback but I've never received one from MINI.

Old 01-01-2004, 03:30 PM
ghui
2nd Gear
Just like a hospital in some third world country.... Avoid going in at all cost, unless in dire straits conditions. So sad! I have my 10K service coming soon. This is just for oil change, so now I decided to do it myself. I wonder if the BMW owners get treated better over there.

Old 01-01-2004, 07:32 PM
Kanu
Neutral
We're owners of both BMW's and a MINI and, unfortunatly, the service experience has been just as pathetic w/ the BMW's as the MINI. It's directly related to the quality of management commitment to customer service - I'm convinced they don't care. Their sales are strong and it seems the majority tolerate the treatment. Good to see Mark's help in getting corporate attention focused on this.

Old 01-02-2004, 11:32 AM
Latka
5th Gear
We were warned by several people who had bad BMW experiences here in Honolulu about the service department... we really were hoping that the MINI would be great.

Old 01-02-2004, 12:15 PM
Meenee.Coopah
4th Gear
So sorry to hear about your troubles Latka. Unfortunately, I have been down the same road as you, but with multiple issues instead of one. My car has been in the shop for 41 days since I picked it up 12 months ago. I've had the rack and pinon replaced, servo latch replaced, water pump replaced, boot repainted due to rust, climate fan replaced, and a full list of others that I'm not going to bore you with. I have tried to get resolution with Mini, but they only offered me an "accessory" of $400 or less. Yeah right, like that helps.

I currently have a lemon lawyer working with me on getting resolution with Mini. I expect an answer from Mini in the next two weeks. Our service department is horrible here in Michigan. I can totally understand what you mean when you explain your frustrations with them. I don't understand why the owners of these places don't do anything to fix the service issues. If anything keeps me from getting a new Mini after this is said and done, it'll be the thought of dealing with this service department again.

I wonder if this has anything to do with being a founder of a local Mini Club. I am also the founder of the Michigan Club. Strange that we are both dealing with incompent service departments.

Good luck! I wish you the best.

Old 01-02-2004, 01:48 PM
ESOTERIC
2nd Gear
Well Andy sorry that you have such hate for your one and only dealer in Hawaii....One thing to remember...Many of the tech and warranty issues are regulated by MINI of North America....not the dealer. Out of the 800+_MINIs that have been sold in the state of Hawaii through this dealer seems that there are maybe less than 10 serious cases of problems. That sound pretty good to me. Sorry it had to be you......

Old 01-02-2004, 02:24 PM
10851CS
Former Vendor
My question about the whole mess (bad service at all dealers) is this:

Did not BMW pick the BEST of their dealers to become MINI dealers? If this is the best I sure would not want the worst. I was considering buying a 5 series BMW for my wife but I don't think I will after thinking about it.

I can not understand how anyone can come out with a "new product" and show this kind of service. We may end up in the same boat as the Mini owners with no dealers and no factory parts (which may not be a bad thing from the way things seem to be going).

Earl

Old 01-02-2004, 03:11 PM
minihune
>>My question about the whole mess (bad service at all dealers) is this:
>>
>>Did not BMW pick the BEST of their dealers to become MINI dealers? If this is the best I sure would not want the worst. I was considering buying a 5 series BMW for my wife but I don't think I will after thinking about it.

The criteria did not include which dealer was the BEST. In Hawai there are very limited choices and on Oahu there is only BMW of Honolulu.

>>I can not understand how anyone can come out with a "new product" and show this kind of service. We may end up in the same boat as the Mini owners with no dealers and no factory parts (which may not be a bad thing from the way things seem to be going).

Quality of service is something every dealer needs to address and make a priority if they wish to keep a strong base of owners going. If you are the only game in town then that changes the rules a bit.

From a practical point of view it seems that if things do not improve then once these MINIs come out of the warranty period they will be going to independent auto garages for work.

Old 01-02-2004, 03:51 PM
mini-t
5th Gear
the last time i had to wait for my car at service, i ended up chatting with an older gentleman who waiting for his 5-series bmw. i guess he knew i was pissed about my car and having to wait when they told me it was "ready" (he was told the same thing). after chatting for about 15 minutes, he told me that his service has been below par also. he was supposed to catch a shuttle which never came to pick him up, ended up having to get a cheapy rental after fighting his service advisor to get him a car to get to work, was then late for work, etc...

but he noticed that when certain people rolled in with their more expensive BMW's, they got different treatment including someone opening the door, greeting them by name, having a rental car ready, etc, etc.

foldinghalo -- you're lucky that you get a call about your service afterwards. i rec'd 1 phone call after my service experience.....and none thereafter, not even after i purchased my car! i was prepped by my MA with all the 5-star answers but never got to share them b/c they didnt call. too bad for my MA.

>>We're owners of both BMW's and a MINI and, unfortunatly, the service experience has been just as pathetic w/ the BMW's as the MINI. It's directly related to the quality of management commitment to customer service - I'm convinced they don't care. Their sales are strong and it seems the majority tolerate the treatment. Good to see Mark's help in getting corporate attention focused on this.

Old 01-02-2004, 06:39 PM
The_Beastmaster
6th Gear
Boy, this does not look very good as the problem seems to be festering from Hawaii to the mainland US. Pretty soon it may end up being a class action suit against MINI USA.

Hopefully, there will be an amicable resolution to this situation.

Old 01-02-2004, 07:57 PM
Meenee.Coopah
4th Gear
Here's how bad the service has gotten at MCM here in Michigan. Four of our club members drove 3 hours to Cleveland (MCM is only a few minutes away), to have thier vehicles serviced. All of them went to get the new v36 software, which MCM did not yet have. Well, I take that back, they had it, but had the German version, not the English.

MCM told the owners that they would need to leave thier vehicles for the day and they would be able to service it when the software arrived. Our guys decided to call Cleveland and all four of them motored down there, got their vehicles flashed, and were back within the day. So, we know that there are competant service departments. However, it seems that both Hawaii and Michigan are not fortunate enough to fall in that company.

Quick Reply: MINI of Hawaii - ENOUGH!