Snake Road.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2002, 12:38 AM
RustNoMore
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahhh... finally got to take the cooper up snake road. Due to traffic in front of us, we only got up to 60 in the turns before we had to slow down again. If only Kole-Koke Pass wasn't closed down, I can't think of a stretch of road more perfectly designed for this car.

This marks my second day of cooper bliss, It still amazes me the reaction the little car gets! :smile:

Old 08-30-2002, 01:10 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
>>Ahhh... finally got to take the cooper up snake road. Due to traffic in front of us, we only got up to 60 in the turns before we had to slow down again. If only Kole-Koke Pass wasn't closed down, I can't think of a stretch of road more perfectly designed for this car.
>>
>>This marks my second day of cooper bliss, It still amazes me the reaction the little car gets! :smile:
>>
>>

Rust, Isn't it difficult to keep her under 4500 rpm? I got mine late afternoon of 8/28 and am in that cooper bliss state, as well! Haven't driven a stick since '84 (YIKES!), so I'm slowly acclimating to that. Must remember to look at the speedo, too, not the tach! I'm in L.A. and there are quite a few MINIs around. I'm concentrating so hard on driving her gently, I'm forgetting to notice the reactions to her! LOL!

Old 12-14-2005, 10:38 AM
Latka
5th Gear
So how would one get to the Kole Kole pass? I found references to it on another website (with what looked like the world's coolest road in the background)... but I'm not having any luck trying to find it while looking at a map on Google Maps.

(edit)
Looks like it's out between Naval Magazine Lualualei and Schoffield Barracks.... is that correct?

...and where is "snake road"?

Old 12-14-2005, 12:46 PM
bellybean329
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Latka
So how would one get to the Kole Kole pass? I found references to it on another website (with what looked like the world's coolest road in the background)... but I'm not having any luck trying to find it while looking at a map on Google Maps.

(edit)
Looks like it's out between Naval Magazine Lualualei and Schoffield Barracks.... is that correct?

...and where is "snake road"?
Correct...you have to have a DoD sticker...and watch out for bike MPs...I got hollered at the other day...but the guy was nice about it.

Old 12-14-2005, 01:00 PM
Latka
5th Gear
I can get a pass, but I don't want to get my "sponsor" in trouble.... cause I would probably be haulin' the bunnies if I got the chance!

Might have to drive it at normal speed and see what it's like. Unfortunately it goes through the not-so-public-friendly Lualualei. :(

...so where's snake road? I mean, round top drive is fun, but I just can't bring myself to push the car when there are houses / kids / people so close by.

The stretch of turns that leads up to the Pali from Kailua (dangit I always forget the name of that area) is nice, but it's kinda short...and really "blind".

Sheesh. What to do, what to do. I should probably fix my fuel issue and get the car back on the road first, eh?

Old 12-14-2005, 01:35 PM
The_Beastmaster
6th Gear
A few years back BMWCCH had a KoleKole Pass drive and I missed it.

latka - Is that Norfolk or Auloa Rd?

Old 12-14-2005, 01:39 PM
Latka
5th Gear
Crud... I probably could have made the run too. Hopefully they'll do it again.

I believe it's Auloa Road, Beast. Yes - just checked the map. That's the one. It's a nice stretch of road, but the last thing I want to do is **** off the folks that live in the area!

Hmm - never noticed that it continues across the Pali... that's the little right turn as you're townbown. I'll have to go up there some day.

Old 12-14-2005, 02:05 PM
kbseto
5th Gear
yeah, a kolekole pass drive would be excellent...i've always wanted to just go thru it, ie. when the annual kolekole run happens. but driving it would be even better.

can we make a request with BMWCCH?

Old 12-14-2005, 02:09 PM
Latka
5th Gear
"run" like on your feet?

Definitely - if someone knows of an upcoming drive through the kolekole pass I'd love to hear about it so I can join in!

Old 12-14-2005, 07:54 PM
The_Beastmaster
6th Gear
I have no idea how that KoleKole pass drive came about, but IF we ever get another one approved, I'll let you guys know.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:15 PM
abuzavi
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I drove it today. Kolekole Pass, that is.

Started on the Army side, ended on the Navy side.

It's slow. Fastest stretch is just 45 mph. And whole long portions are no-turns-no-photos-no-fun.

But it is pretty. And dramatic, especially on the Navy side.

Worth doing if you get the chance? Yes.

Worth speeding? Nope.

Does it compare to (the Dragon / the Black Forrest / Nürburgring / etc.) ? Nope.

Better than Tantalus? Yep. Nice variety is all it is.