Hawaii MINI Motoring Club The forum of the Hawaii MINI Motoring Club. Visit the club site at www.HawaiiMINIClub.org

Classic Minis in the club?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 07:45 PM
Latka
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Classic Minis in the club?

So... I checked out the club website, and it seems pretty much geared specifically to the new MINI. Does this mean that the Classic Mini is excluded from club events? I ask 'cause I'd like to show up to stuff (when I have the day off that is!), but if we're not welcome...well, we'll go make our own sandbox to play in.

Old 12-18-2004, 09:36 PM
JCW04
4th Gear
One of the best days of my MINI-ing came in July when I just happened to be in my office parking lot at the same moment that a 1967 British Racing Green Cooper S pulled in.

It was nice to not only be able to compare and contrast but it was even better for me to see the forrunner of my current MINI. It really helped to fill in the historical aspect which is an extremely important part of automobile enjoyment and enthusiasm.

I for one would love to repeat the experience!

How many mini's would you say were on island?

Aloha!
JCW04

Old 12-18-2004, 09:52 PM
Latka
5th Gear
My guess is between 15 and 20.

I have 2, (had 3, sold one). There's a guy in Kaneohe that has a Mini and a Moke, then there's the nice "Sportspack" car over in Kahala I think it was, Mini-Ts Innocenti, a blue / white MKIII car I saw one day on Kapahulu, a 1960 or 61 up in Manoa, a Red / White MKI I saw while driving my 66 S one day (almost wrecked the car trying to wave at him), Philip's Green / White car, another guy I met at the Brit car show a few years ago that has an 850... a pickup being restored down in Kalihi, a 66 Cooper being restored in the same area..let's see... how many so far... 13 so far. (edit) Plus the two that Mini-T said some Servco guy owns, plus one more - a yellow van that a buddy took a picture of. Jeez... so that's 16!!! I don't think 20 would be that far off. Then again, they might all come out of the woodwork and there will be more.

The more classic Minis the merrier. I need to drag more people out to the SCCA Pro Solo II (Autocross) events when I get back into it!

All I need to do is throw my exhaust mount on the 71 and I can drive 'er again. The little red beast with a big voice it is

Old 12-19-2004, 01:29 AM
keikilee
5th Gear
Hi Latka!
Absolutely...we'd love to have classic Minis at our events and even on as members. HMMC is for MINIs and Minis...it just doesn't specifically say it...but it should!

How do you think HMMC could be more inviting to Mini owners? I ask this because I am pretty uneducated in the ways of the Minis. I would like very much to know more about Minis and how HMMC could attract owners such as yourself.

Post some suggestions here...or you can email me direct at president@hawaiiminiclub.org

I read you were interested in starting your own Classic Mini club...but save your self the effort...maybe instead of a MINI club, HMMC can comprimise and be a MiNi (MiNi = Combination of MINI and Mini...I hope that's not offensive) Club. Let's work on this...like you said...the more the merrier!

Old 12-22-2004, 07:50 PM
Latka
5th Gear
Uhm... just how much dealership involvement in the club is there? The last dealing that another person had with them ended up with the General Manager of BMW / MINI of Honolulu saying that they, as well as myself, were "Poison to the Mini community". I sure wouldn't want to ... "infect" any official club with my presence.

On the other hand, if MOH is there to give support and prizes, that's cool.

Old 12-22-2004, 11:04 PM
keikilee
5th Gear
Poison, huh? Well, I've never met you so I can't say I agree or disagree with that statement. I've read about your experiences, and understand your reservations about joining a club affiliated with MoH.

Here's my thoughts. (Note that my thoughts below are NOT directed toward you. I just figured this is a rare opportunity for me to discuss this stuff)

HMMC is definitely not a dealership club...however, we rely on them heavily to help get the word out (and for sponsorship and idea generating and other support). I'd like to believe that our relationship is mutually beneficial...and I hope MoH feels the same.

Speaking in general terms if anyone in the club comes in with a bad attitude and the other members really feel they are "poisoning" the club...know that these people will get booted out pretty quickly. The by-laws are pretty much there to help in these situations.

I'm fully aware of the problems people have had with the dealership, but if those folks who are "poison" want to join the club, I or the club, really can't stop them. However, I would hope that they are able to put the past behind them and look at the club as an opportunity to enjoy building relationships with other MINI/Mini owners.

Most of the current members have had very positive experiences with MoH and think of them as family. So if anyone were to come in and bad mouth the dealership, many of the members would take it personally. That's why our slogan is "Happy MINIs...Happy Owners...Happy Motoring" That doesn't mean a member can't share any bad experiences he/she has had in the past...but it does mean sharing it in a fair and respectful manner.

I would LOVE for the club to be more Mini-centric. I would LOVE for you folks to join us at our events. Did I say how much I would LOVE...

Old 12-23-2004, 12:54 PM
JCW04
4th Gear
Aloha and MINI Kalikimaka folks!-

Latka, thanks for the Mini head count. Pretty impresive numbers on Oahu considering the rarity of the original Mini. I've had a thing for Mini's since high school way back yonder.

I knew a guy I think he was from Pearl City around 1979 that had a yellow (or white?) Mini and some how was able to drop in a small block Chevy motor and rear drive set-up. He used to zip that puppy down at Campbells to the tune of high 13's until the torque destroyed the frame/body.

I still remember watching him heat-up those little tyres on the pad before launch. I know it was a waste of a perfectly good Cooper but man, you should have seen the looks on the Bug and SR5 boys when he shot past them! Blew a few V8's too.

I think Patrick is the fine bloke I met at my office parking lot back in July. I remember he said that he picked up his S in Europe about seven (?) years ago and had it shipped back to the US. Boy, his motor sounded REAL nice. I was impressed. He also had the John Cooper signature on his bonnet stripes. I still have the picture of his Mini and my MINI on my cell phone screen saver!

I hope we can look forward to you folks joining us for futrue activity's. It would be neat to have a range of Minis along side the new MINI to see the progression of automotive history. I've also never seen a Moke (except on the beach in Waianae!) other than in photo's, that would be cool too.

Well, better sign off now. Got to pretend I'm actually working until noon!

Aloha and have a great Christmas!

JCW04