Hawaii MINI Motoring Club The forum of the Hawaii MINI Motoring Club. Visit the club site at www.HawaiiMINIClub.org

Hey?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 05:05 PM
Cummins
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey?!

How is the motoring experience in Hawaii?

I live on Oahu and its difficult to enjoy what a sport car can do. Most of the time the island roads are conjested or are unsafe for "spirited driving." Is the MINI just as enjoyable inspite of all the traffic conjestion and unsafe roads we have?

Last edited by Cummins; 05-08-2007 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:12 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Aloha and welcome to NAM.

You've got to come out to one of the Hawaii MINI Motoring club events to meet other Hawaii MINI owners.
http://www.hawaiiminiclub.org/

You can go to the club website and get up to date.

If you really like driving with no speed limit then come out to autocross at Aloha Stadium lower parking lot. Next event is July 1 sunday. Sign up to drive early in the morning about 645am is good and watch others until about lunch.

Then you can drive yourself with an instructor in the afternoon either in heat 3 or heat 4 and then you can do fun runs until closing about 430pm.

Doesn't really matter what MINI you bring. We have classes of competition for all MINIs from stock to very modded. Usually we have about 4 to 6 MINI drivers.

Stop by the MINI of Hawaii Dealership, they have some info as well.

Last edited by minihune; 05-09-2007 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:53 AM
DaKineMINI
6th Gear
Aloha Cummins,

I agree with minihune, if you have the "need for speed" and want to do "spirited driving", come on out to a SCCA Solo (auto-cross) event. Otherwise, avoid the traffic when in your MINI and enjoy the beautiful scenery and appreciate what we have. Just imagine, if you think our commute traffic is bad, that you could be stuck on a So Cal freeway (6 lane parking lot) during commute times!

You should come out to our upcoming gathering (non-HMMC) on the 19th at the Yard House and say "hi". We'd love to meet you and talk story. More info here : https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...04#post1514604

Old 05-09-2007, 03:54 PM
Cummins
1st Gear
Thanks for the invites. Sounds like a lot of fun! I've actually seen things going on at the stadium while passing by and was curious about it. I think if I did have an outlet like the autocross then I'd feel more justified getting something other than a bland daily driver. Racing on the streets isn't an option and we don't seem to have "the twisties" like other states.

I had to ditch my coupe because I needed a truck to get some work done. (Could only have one car. Restrictive budget, lack of parking.) I've driven an auto 3/4 ton truck and wife's auto Corolla since getting rid of my car. I miss a manual and sport handling a lot... a lot.

Had some concerns cleared up about children liking the MINI by searching the threads earlier.

Started reading about the Hawaii dealer experience. So far so good.

I've built more cars on the MINI site than any other. Just gotta make everything fall into place.

Thanks again!

Old 05-09-2007, 09:35 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
OK, so you don't own a MINI... yet.

For autocross bring your corolla or

Bring your truck and come and watch. If you let us MINI drivers know you are present we can get you in closer to the action.

Normally spectators have to stay behind the yellow safety lines at least 75 feet from the cars on the course.

If you make it to autocross ask for one of the MINI drivers to come to the gate to sign you in.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:38 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have been here in Oahu for 2 weeks and let me tell you how many Mini's I've seen.......ALOT. I bet they are the perfect car for here. I will be here until Saturday morning...Let's see what kind of trouble this howle can get into.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:23 PM
zagadka
4th Gear
when i was in maui last week- i had never seen so many minis ever. and i was greeted by a green original mini chillin in the airport parking lot. therefore i took it as a sign that it was going to be the best trip ever.

an electric blue MCS was parked at the PapaKea complex on Lower Honoapi'ilani...i admired it everyday