GP Talk (2006) Discussion of the limited edition, MINI Cooper S (R53)-based, John Cooper Works GP.

What to look for in a used GP?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 11:24 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Too bad it was not the perfect car for you just to see/drive and want.
- The wheels rash seems like the biggest problem and most expensive to solve.
- A new exhaust can be purchased and Borla sold or traded so not too big of an issue.
- The wing bolts due rust. I remember seeing someone selling replacement bolts at fair price.
- Wing spot could be an issue and the wing is expensive.
These could all be good negotiation points to get the right price.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:33 PM
MrCooperS
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah, the guy who owns it is a very nice guy. He obviously loved the car. I sent him an email pointing out my concerns. Hope to have good news for you all!

Old 05-28-2012, 04:05 AM
THE ITCH
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
If you are talking about the wing thorx bolts underneath the rear wing rusting that is a common problem. I had mine replaced under warrenty and the tech gave me a tip to put a light coat of clear finger nail polish on them when returning home. I followed his tip and they have been fine since.
Steve

Old 05-28-2012, 05:22 AM
GP0256
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you go to GPMINI.net, you can find a stainless steel bolt set for these cars for $20 that a member put together on the site. Only problem is, unless you own a GP, you cannot get access to the site. This is a Must Have IMO

Old 05-28-2012, 05:27 AM
GP0256
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MrCooperS
Ok. So I drive four hours today to test drive the car.

The good: the engine runs smoothly. Shifts smoothly. Great power delivery.

The bad: wheel rash on most of the wheels. Rear bumper has a small dent from a license plate screw. Borla exhaust drones. Jcw exhaust is gone. A aftermarket alarm system had once been installed in the car along with a after market horn that has been drilled to the top of the passenger strut mount for mounting purposes. A couple of the hex bolts holding down the GP wing is starting to rust. There is a weird blemish in the carbon fiber wing. It might be the clear coat. Doesn't seem like the carbon fiber, not sure what it is. Just seems a bit off. Small bit of wear in the back boot.
Just for it not being stock and the wheel rash, you should tell him to knock off $2,500! We were walking out to my GP yesterday and my wife looked at it (Current R53 owner by the way) and said.......... I REALLY like your car! I can see a second GP in our near future as her R53 has 91k on it. I am super stoked. Maybe the 2nd Gen GP will be on the horizon!